Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

urd ss grind

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my shifter going into fifth gear it grinds the more gas i give it the bigger the grind shifting into gear can anyone help

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to brake it to ya but it's most likely your trans syncro not the urd ss.... common issue with our trucks.

If you want just to be sure uninstall the urd ss and see if the issue is still there...

COMEGETSOME

Reaction score
I guess it's possible but it didn't start until I installed the u r d :hmmmm2:

Yeah ill uninstall it and check it all out

Last edited:

Moneyblind

Reaction score
This is one of those cases where I will trust URD over toyota, when it comes to the trannies; All the short shifter does is change the geometry of the shifter, now unless there was already a problem (bent pieces, parts out of wack) the SS is ALMOST certain to NOT be the culprit.

shifter.jpg

justin13703

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the transmission. I wouldn't necessarily say its a problem yet though as these transmissions suck ass and grind when they're in perfect condition lol. I noticed mine would grind every once in a while after my ss install, it most likely is do to the throw being shorter, so it's being slammed into gear alot faster than it was before the ss and our transmissions just in general do not like to go through gears fast, especially when laying into it.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Yea, I have that same 5th gear grind. I have to baby it. It got worse with a SS. I even upgraded to the TRD SS, and its still there. Mine is def a syncro issue. Other Xs have this issue in other gears. I just can't slam mine in to 5th like I can in other gears....

justin13703

Reaction score
^ yeah for me it's second gear. My truck WILL NOT go into second gear if I come out of first above 5000 rpms.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
Yea, I have that same 5th gear grind. I have to baby it. It got worse with a SS. I even upgraded to the TRD SS, and its still there. Mine is def a syncro issue. Other Xs have this issue in other gears. I just can't slam mine in to 5th like I can in other gears....

Mine is 4th gear. I noticed it more since I installed Coupe's shifter.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
yea, that is one thing I kick myself for everytime I get a chance.
I wish I would have pulled MancheX's tranny out before he scrapped it after his wreck. :argh:
He didn't have one bit of grind in any gear (05 X).

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
yea, that is one thing I kick myself for everytime I get a chance.
I wish I would have pulled MancheX's tranny out before he scrapped it after his wreck. :argh:
He didn't have one bit of grind in any gear (05 X).

I hate thinking about how weak our trannies are. Hopefully mine will hold up... don't really feel like coughing up the money for a t56. Although my buddies dad has a supercharged Z06 with a S/S and it felt really nice.... I wish our trucks came with the t56 :thumbdown:

Top Bottom