Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Vibration from exhaust

slwwrx17

Reaction score
I don't know what the heck it could be but I am running the Magna Flow Cat-Back system on my 05' X. For some reason it rattles like crazy at about 2000 Rpm's and won't do it at full throttle and gets worse as the truck gets warmed up. It won't do it at idle only when the truck is moving. Also I can't determine if it is doing it outside the truck but it is annoying as crap when I drive the thing. I just went over 25000 miles. Any suggestions would be great.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Has it done the rattle ever since you first had the cat back system hooked up. If so you may have a bracket not hooked up right or a heat shield or something is hitting the exhaust and make sure all the bolts are tight :top:

slwwrx17

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I did all day today. I have had the system set up forabout 6-7months. I guess that I will be on my back again tomorrow. Thanks

rexrunner

Reaction score
I had the same prob on my honda. check were the flanges bolt together,( Y pipe to cat back) there should be a bolt with a spring. If its not tight enough the spring will cause the rattling. I dont know if our truck use those vibration springs or not, this was on my honda :top:

Deviant

Reaction score
It's prob a loose part ;)

However when I first put on my Jardine I didn't insert the pipe enough into the muffler. In turn it was directly under the leaf spring bracket, so when it did rattle it would hit that and make an annoying vibration / ringing that could be heard from a good distance away. So prob best to make sure theres enough clearance from anything that could be touching the piping as well

Bobby B

Reaction score
Go to a Muffler shop and have it put on the rack then you can spot it better.

slwwrx17

Reaction score
Thanks guys I plan on crawling under the damn thing today depending if the weather will hold up. Also I noticed that there is a tsb out for the exhaust heatshield forthe header area, so I plan on checking all of that. Thanks for the advice and once I figure out the culpretI will post again with the results.

SWB X

Reaction score
Justin, maybe its because its not SWB.............lol

Natas

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Magnaflow cat-back. It turns out that it was the part with the bolts with the springs. The flange didn't line up right, so once that was fixed everything was cool. That might not be your problem, but it's a great place to start looking. :top:

RossK35

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The problem is at the flange its because you can't make it tight enough. If you push up on it while its running it should go away at least mine did.

rexrunner

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Magnaflow cat-back. It turns out that it was the part with the bolts with the springs. The flange didn't line up right, so once that was fixed everything was cool. That might not be your problem, but it's a great place to start looking. :top:

(dusting my finger tips off) just like I said :laugh:

slwwrx17

Reaction score
Well all of the suggestions were excellent. But they were all wrong! I just got back from SWB X's house. We lifted that biznatch up and found out that the welds on the back part of the muffler fouled and came apart. For all of the automotively challenged such as myself. You have the muffler and each end has a cap with the hole one side for the inlet and the other an exit for the exhaust. the weld that holds the caps on fouled on one side and I had an exhaust leak which caused a vibration. So I called Magnaflow and they said call the vendor (Premier Truck Accessories) once I called the vendor they said no problem and that they would contact Magnaflow and have a new system sent out to me and I just need to return the old one. Very good service with both companies and only took 2 phone calls to resolve the situation. Will post pics once I get them.

RossK35

Reaction score
Well all of the suggestions were excellent. But they were all wrong! I just got back from SWB X's house. We lifted that biznatch up and found out that the welds on the back part of the muffler fouled and came apart. For all of the automotively challenged such as myself. You have the muffler and each end has a cap with the hole one side for the inlet and the other an exit for the exhaust. the weld that holds the caps on fouled on one side and I had an exhaust leak which caused a vibration. So I called Magnaflow and they said call the vendor (Premier Truck Accessories) once I called the vendor they said no problem and that they would contact Magnaflow and have a new system sent out to me and I just need to return the old one. Very good service with both companies and only took 2 phone calls to resolve the situation. Will post pics once I get them.
Well at least you got it resolved.

Top Bottom