Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VIR Awesomeness!!

azburnin

Reaction score
VIR is a must, easily sad it is a must for anyone around the local area or those willing to drive a few hours like me. So with all my suspension upgrades and Brake upgrades i went out there with the best intentions of putting my self and the truck through the wringer. As my Info states i have Front rear sways, ppi coils with a spacer and a DJM 3/4. My brakes were a short notice upgrade that were stoptechs (MUST BUY).

So day one i started out with my first instructor that had never been in or known a truck to run VIR. So with that he didn't know her limitations. Before we even started i had to give him the nickel tour around the truck to see what i had done to it. The man seemed a little abrasive and high strung, but i was ok with it. So we started out middle of the pack, he then from turn one to the very end of the 30 mins talked and talked and yelled commands like a mad man... I was alright with it cause i figured i was doing things wrong and needed to correct myself. Correct my driving lines braking points handling and shifting through smoothly when i came through turns and out of turns.

Then i was told the next heat that another instructor would be taking over to teach me because he couldn't fit into a miata. WOW how big was this guy? Well needless to say he was about 70lbs bigger at i'd say 225 then the guy before and about 6'2''. This old fart was the chillest and greatest instructor i could luck out to have. So the Second heat went very very well, he tought me a completely different line to drive through and barely said a word unless needed, which kept me even calmer. He too had never heard of a truck running out there so he was more excited to drive in it then the other guy.

My driving over all got so much better within the first two heats, the third and fourth of day one was night and day from the beginning. Sunday, day two. I was only able to run one heat then i had to head back up to Va Beach. My over all opinion on my suspension modification is much greater then what i though it was. It has a bit of understeer which sucks because i do believe it limited me on keeping up and beating the lesser cars and their drivers. i had to brake more then needed in order to turn when i know my traction and rear end could of handle it, would get a little frustrating after some of the cars that took me through some of the tighter turns.

Overall though, It was outstanding. My recommendation on going though leave the family at home go by yourself or your other race buddies. Me and my boy ended up leaving cause of the women. Food for though lol

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Soundsike it was well worth the learning experience. Just like school. They are there to teach, and you are there to learn. So you have to be receptive.

Does this mean that you are ready to do some auto cross and kick well.?

Limitless

Reaction score
Nice, glad to hear it was fun. Got the SS track drop/QA1/URD trac bar on order so when i get those in il be considering going out there next time. Interesting to hear about the understear, thought rwd usually had oversteer (which is what i was expeiriencing in the solo event i was in). Post up when you go to it again and you may have another XR able to come. Sure you still turned some heads showing that you can keep up if not surpass some of the others in a "truck" :)

Any pics?

azburnin

Reaction score
Auto X will be coming up yes, i am about to email them to see where they're holding it at. I hear ACU 4 In Va beach is done with, so i need to see whats up and where.

Yeah i might be wrong about the understeer all i know is with out pushing too much on the gas and coming into the turn i had to drop a lot of speed in order to whip that bad boy around. Yeah i'll post again when i'm headed out there. So i can get some company on the track. Turning heads is an understatement. I had people asking me all types of questions, i felt like i was selling the vehicle for a bit there.

Auto X will be coming up yes, i am about to email them to see where they're holding it at. I hear ACU 4 In Va beach is done with, so i need to see whats up and where.

Yeah i might be wrong about the understeer all i know is with out pushing too much on the gas and coming into the turn i had to drop a lot of speed in order to whip that bad boy around. Yeah i'll post again when i'm headed out there. So i can get some company on the track. Turning heads is an understatement. I had people asking me all types of questions, i felt like i was selling the vehicle for a bit there.

Last edited:

earnesje

Reaction score
So did you have lots of fun for me? That's what matters right.

azburnin

Reaction score
Oh tons of fun for you lol, i've got pics but they're on the girls FB so i gotta see about pulling them up and out. Nothing awesome though just a few shots, let me figure it out.

autobodyX

Reaction score
I'm glad you got out to the track I just could not make it once I found out it was Easter weekend. I feel for you having to leave early for the family, but at least yours let you go.

I have had good look so far with the instructors that I have had. A good instructor makes the event.

Your traction issues with the front and the back get better as you start running more on the perfect line that they talk about in the classroom. My experience with street tires is if the front is pushing and the tires are not just screaming like crazy I'm not turning hard enough, believe it or not. Another thing is that they tell beginners to air up the tires before you start, this makes the car/truck drive like crap compared to having the correct pressures. I think they do this to slow you down and make you concentrate on running the correct line. Kinda like if you run in the rain, it takes grip away forcing you to run well under the limit. Next time start at 35 psi and set the pressures to 40 front and 39 rear while everything is still hot after your first session. Tire pressure climes fast in the front from the brake heat and the right rear always spins more and gets hotter faster than the left rear in my truck.

Murderface

Reaction score
Phuck the pics! U gotta get a Go Pro camera and mount it on the front bumper somewhere. That will make for some awesome videos no doubt.

So how much money was it for what u did? Also how many days did u say the pass was for, how many heats and how many laps in a heat. Sorry so many questions but this is something I've always wanted to do and may do it here in NJ at the new New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Reaction score
Which configuration did you run (North/South/Patriot/Full Course)? I don't know if I could deal with someone yelling at me from my passenger seat. I do track days there with my motorcycle, luckily there is no room for a noisy instructor.

ntinhri

Reaction score
I wish I had taken my truck out there before I sold her... With a little air adjustment and race tires that umdersteer goes away... Anyone who wants to go to VIR, Im about 1.5 hours away, your welcome to stay for free...

azburnin

Reaction score
I did the full course (not the Grand Course) Which is . I'd like to hook up a camera for the event, hell that'd be kick ass. I just didn't get one in time, my buddy that drives his 427 kit cobra said he was bringing his, at the last minute he told me it was broke :fail: . So i was without, maybe next time.
The driving line is Muy Importante :burnout2: for kick ass results. Once i hooked up on the right lines on heat four at the end of the day and day two, my understeer issues weren't as bad.
The Instructors if your not getting along with them or just not clicking can be changed out, your paying for it after all. The price for the weekend is $395 includes, two days of racing four heats a day, 30 min heats each time. How many laps is honestly up to you lol.

I did the full course (not the Grand Course) Which is . I'd like to hook up a camera for the event, hell that'd be kick ass. I just didn't get one in time, my buddy that drives his 427 kit cobra said he was bringing his, at the last minute he told me it was broke :fail: . So i was without, maybe next time.
The driving line is Muy Importante :burnout2: for kick ass results. Once i hooked up on the right lines on heat four at the end of the day and day two, my understeer issues weren't as bad.
The Instructors if your not getting along with them or just not clicking can be changed out, your paying for it after all. The price for the weekend is $395 includes, two days of racing four heats a day, 30 min heats each time. How many laps is honestly up to you lol.

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
Thx for the info! I'd love to do this sometime here in NJ at the NJ Motorsports Park, they have 2 separate road courses too! I just need to be able to save up some money so I can get an extra set of X rims and slap some racing slicks on them, I already have the power, handling since I just picked up some SS sways to go with the drop, and I upgraded my brakes to a 332mm BBK. I'd really like my brother to be able to join me at the track so I can race against him in his 09 WRX sedan......of course I'll spank him:top:

Edgeman

Reaction score
You'll know if you have understeer. If you try to turn, but the truck doesn't want to, that's understeer. It feels like you're "plowing" into the turns. This is common on on every FWD automobile. Oversteer feels like the car wants to "come around" on you when you're in the corner. For liability reasons, manufacturers generally dial in understeer from the factory. As an example, the E46 M3 came out of the box with a lot of understeer from the factory. Needless to say, a lot of suspension kits hit the market shortly afterwards to give it a more "neutral" handling feel.

I think you should be able to dial it out, but not sure what's happening with your truck after the suspension modifications. Ask the manufacturer what you need to adjust to dial it out. Like ntinhri said, you may be able to correct it by tire pressure adjustments.

Edgeman

Reaction score
Is that just approaching the overpass at VIR?

azburnin

Reaction score
It is yes coming up on it, I love that strait and then the climbing s's aghhhh!!! Im going back as soon as I can!

Top Bottom