Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vvt-i

Jonathan

Reaction score
changes the valve timming. its like Vtec (im sure you know what that is) but, vvti is constantly changing it for optimal performance/fuel economy

Xraided

Reaction score
so does it kick in like vtech at a certin rpm

XrunDan

Reaction score
I could be wrong but i dont think so, i am pretty sure it is constant!

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Pulled from Google:

Variable Valve Timing is a relatively new innovation to the automotive industry. It uses a computer to electronically control the valves of the engine. It effective changes the way the engine runs to be most effective at all times in all RPM's. At idle, the computer will cause the engine to use the least amount of fuel possible to conserve gas and improve overall gas mileage. If the throttle is opened and acceleration is needed, the valves run in a manner that provides the most amount of power possible. What makes the VVT-i system different from other variable valve timing systems is that it is continuous. This means that the computer will watch its valves more carefully than any other similar system around. The end result is greater fuel economy and more peak power of the engine.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Pulled from Google:

Variable Valve Timing is a relatively new innovation to the automotive industry. It uses a computer to electronically control the valves of the engine. It effective changes the way the engine runs to be most effective at all times in all RPM's. At idle, the computer will cause the engine to use the least amount of fuel possible to conserve gas and improve overall gas mileage. If the throttle is opened and acceleration is needed, the valves run in a manner that provides the most amount of power possible. What makes the VVT-i system different from other variable valve timing systems is that it is continuous. This means that the computer will watch its valves more carefully than any other similar system around. The end result is greater fuel economy and more peak power of the engine.

why you have to show me up i said the same thing in lamens terms :laugh:

XPC_XR

Reaction score
changes the valve timming. its like Vtec (im sure you know what that is) but, vvti is constantly changing it for optimal performance/fuel economy

Actually VVTI-L (VVTI with Lift) is more like VTEC. Lift on the Corolla XRS and Celica GTS (same 2ZZ engine) kicks in around 6,800 all the way to redline and gives a 30WHP boost. Lift is caused by the engine engaging a high lift cam which is where it gets its name.

VVTI is always changing like Jonathan and others said.

5000XD

Reaction score
I read that the new tundra has dual vvti or something.

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
Sooo.... Valves run off of cams right? And cams are like metal rods with teardrop shapes on them to activate the valve that is rubbing up against it... Wouldn't you have to change the shape of the metal cams in order to change the valve timing? or does the 1GR have some sort of hydraulic/electrical system to move the valves?

XRobber

Reaction score
I'll tell you what VVTI is....
It makes adjusting your timing for a boosted vehicle a PITA.

Top Bottom