Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warming up car???

Knight Runner

Reaction score
Is there advantages or disadvantages about warming car? Or does it matter if you do or don't.

I always do every morning but don't know if I am waisting time? My causin that owns a RR X and is a mechanic that works for BMW told me that it's good cuz it warms up the oil, metals, ect. Honestly I forgot cuz he got to technical with me:hmmmm2:

Last edited:

X-Rizzo

Reaction score
I don't do it, but it's also 100 degrees here.

XRunninTaco

Reaction score
i dont ... but i heard its good ... hey art ... dont mean to thread jack but is yer cuz still thinking of trading in the X ... cuz if he is ... will he want to trade me for his stock headlamps ... i wanna do em over again ... going gun metal gray :biggrin:

X-Runnin

Reaction score
I have heard that you should but not for very long, just long enough for the oil to get flowing... I guess a min or 2??

FoxDavis

XRU Overdosed
Reaction score
I was taught that you just need to lube up the engine. Let it get all wet inside then your golden. Like X-Runnin said, about 2 minutes...To me, letting everything warm up is retarded! It heats up so fast anyways!

Knight Runner

Reaction score
I've always wonder if there is anyone else here that does it?

Hey John, He is selling it for $17,000 becauase I think he is going to go for the 2008 v8 M3. He has a Yamaha r6 so I know he'll drive that for now. I'll ask him and I'll let you know.

XRunninTaco

Reaction score
damn M3 :adore: ... that thing is gonna be sweet ... well let me know ... im in no hurry :)

Last edited by a moderator:

XDsm

Reaction score
According to page 298 of my Owner's Manual, "Engine should be warmed up by driving, not in idle. For warming up, drive with smoothly turning engine until engine coolant temperature is within normal range." That's straight from the Toyota manual:top:

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
Just dont get on your truck hard before its up to operating temperature.

Knight Runner

Reaction score
Cool info....

Hey Nigel, Tim told me that you leave around the corner from him. You should've stop by the day he did my g/f tails. Let him know to be patient with the pics and thread if you see him.:top:

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
According to page 298 of my Owner's Manual, "Engine should be warmed up by driving, not in idle. For warming up, drive with smoothly turning engine until engine coolant temperature is within normal range." That's straight from the Toyota manual:top:[/QUOTE]Yep, That's what I read and go by also. Unless you need to wait to defrost the windshield to where you can drive safetly.

XDsm

Reaction score
Cool info....

Hey Nigel, Tim told me that you leave around the corner from him. You should've stop by the day he did my g/f tails. Let him know to be patient with the pics and thread if you see him.:top:

Yea he lives near me. I've never actually been to his pad he usually stops by mine. Depending on when he did the tails I might have been at the school in class. I will let him know you told him to cool his jets about pictures and a thread:top:

REG CAB X

Reaction score
Back in the days of cars with carburators you use to not have a choice. You had to let the damn thing warm up enough so it would keep running when you dropped the car in drive. Of course this was after pumping the gas pedal about 100 times in order to get it to fire up. Everybody always says "They don't make em like the used to".... Thank God. Nowdays I don't see a need to let it warm up. The oil is pumping as soon as the crank starts spinning so it's not like the engine is running dry until it gets up to temperature. As long as you run the right viscosity of oil for the climate you live in you shouldn't have any premature wear due to not letting your truck warm up.

uh60rotorhead

Reaction score
I always let mine idle until the temp needle hits the lowest part of the operating range. Every time I get in the truck, unless it's already warm. usually about 4-5 mins. I've found that it makes a difference with the clutch feel when it's really cold out.

CBRBob

Reaction score
I always let the oil circulate for 15-30sec prior to moving. In the winter at least a min.

lucke

Reaction score
when i lived in michigan, you had to let the car warm up because of the cold. here in cali, its not necessary at all.

climate has a lot to do with this situation.

XPC_XR

Reaction score
Back in the days of cars with carburators you use to not have a choice. You had to let the damn thing warm up enough so it would keep running when you dropped the car in drive. Of course this was after pumping the gas pedal about 100 times in order to get it to fire up. Everybody always says "They don't make em like the used to".... Thank God. Nowdays I don't see a need to let it warm up. The oil is pumping as soon as the crank starts spinning so it's not like the engine is running dry until it gets up to temperature. As long as you run the right viscosity of oil for the climate you live in you shouldn't have any premature wear due to not letting your truck warm up.

Lol my best friend had a 69 Dodge Dart (Inline 6). It was get in pump the pedal twice try to start it, if it does give it some gas so it wont stall or pump twice more and it would start. Then then whole thing of letting it warm up or it would die when you put it in drive like you said. It was a cool car, only had 50,000 original miles when he sold it. It was his grandparents before his and was in the family ever since it was brand new.

For me I just hop in an go. Sometimes if I am am in the mts and theres snow and stuff I will let it idle for abotu 30sec them I am off. I just keep the revs low til its warmed up. :driver:

Top Bottom