Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

**warning** long term exposure issues.. HID's

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
I know I am pretty new here and after reading a lot of good info threads here, I wanted to share my experience with my X-runner's HID issue. Not sure if anyone caught my first mention of it... but here goes.
About a year after I bought my new '05, I'd say in the winter of '06 I bought a good McCulloch 6500k HID kit. Plug n' play deal, excellent dealer and parts/components. Installed correctly and all that jive. In late '07, I noticed one day while detail the piss out of the XR, my headlights looking kind of odd inside. Peering in closely, I noticed they looked foggy/ethched looking on the back reflector housing.
WTF? :dontknow: :eviltongue: Not as bad looking as now, but I thought maybe I was having issues of very hot temps emitting from the HID blubs themselves. Knew I was kind of screwed and didn't do much more about it. Now, being the middle of '08 and still using the HID's I bought in '06, they are really burned in.

I have the pics attached, so you'll probably have to click on them to see the picture better. Sorry. Hope the details came out to see with some of the outdoor light reflections.

Just wanted to share the pics and possible "Long Term" damage that "might" occur. Probably just me or the kit/bulbs or something else. But please keep an eye out everyone. As of right now, I have some near mint headlights coming from a good memeber here (thx organic mechanic!) and will be reverting back to some nice PIAA bulbs I have bought from my Japanese buddies in Osaka. I rather not experience this again or deal with $$$ to replace a set of headlights.

Again, just wanted to share the damage done from 2 1/2 years of use (high beams used a lot during my night drivings).

Keep an eye out on them everyone :ahhhhh:

Attachments

• HID lights burned on reflectors 001a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 001a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 86
  • HID lights burned on reflectors 002a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 002a.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • HID lights burned on reflectors 003a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 003a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
  • HID lights burned on reflectors 004a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 004a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 82
  • HID lights burned on reflectors 005a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 005a.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 91
  • HID lights burned on reflectors 006a.jpg
    HID lights burned on reflectors 006a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 84

Hitman

Reaction score
wow hmmm what type of output were you using on your HIDs if it even matters :dontknow:

and I wanted to ask you by any chance do you drive by Dobson between warner and chandler BLvd I saw a RR I was going to turn around and follow but my tummy was hungry so I ended up going to favoritos mexcan resturant

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
wow hmmm what type of output were you using on your HIDs if it even matters :dontknow:

and I wanted to ask you by any chance do you drive by Dobson between warner and chandler BLvd I saw a RR I was going to turn around and follow but my tummy was hungry so I ended up going to favoritos mexcan resturant

Yes, on more then one occasion each week.

RossK35

Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me one bit. This is just another reason why those kits suck.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if NOT having your headlight housings blacked has made any difference. I've been running my kit for well over a year now and don't have that problem at all. The only reason that I think the chrome interior may cause a problem is because being a reflective surface, it's obvious going to get hotter.

arizona_x-runner

Reaction score
I wonder if NOT having your headlight housings blacked has made any difference. I've been running my kit for well over a year now and don't have that problem at all. The only reason that I think the chrome interior may cause a problem is because being a reflective surface, it's obvious going to get hotter.

But it was the rear reflector behind the bulbs. I am wondering if maybe my majority of driving at night and using long elapsed times of high beams on, caused this. :dontknow: The side areas are not effected, just the rear back reflector area, starting from the base of the bulb area and spreading upwards.

Sucks either way I guess. But, maybe I am a rare case or due to extensive high beam useage (which hi/low was both HID).

Super Werty

Reaction score
uh, correct me if im wrong, but hid's run significantly cooler heat temp's vs halogen

so there was probably just something wrong with the kit

Tapp

Reaction score
uh, correct me if im wrong, but hid's run significantly cooler heat temp's vs halogen

so there was probably just something wrong with the kit

thats what i thought...but anyways thanks for the heads up!!! good lookin out!:top:

BlackCat

Reaction score
Just my guess here but what you might be dealing with there is not thermal issues, but UV degredation. HID's run cooler than Halogens and your brand is a good one. However, the deeper into the blue/violet territory you venture into with HID's (higher "K" numbers), the stronger the violet component of light they pump out. And UV radiation can have the same impact on materials as it does with skin - it burns. Maybe I'm right... maybe I'm not... Just my penny and a half...

BoominTaco

Reaction score
My head lights look like that, i don't care though as long as it shines the road i am ok with it...

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Just my guess here but what you might be dealing with there is not thermal issues, but UV degredation. HID's run cooler than Halogens and your brand is a good one. However, the deeper into the blue/violet territory you venture into with HID's (higher "K" numbers), the stronger the violet component of light they pump out. And UV radiation can have the same impact on materials as it does with skin - it burns. Maybe I'm right... maybe I'm not... Just my penny and a half...

Depending on the bulbs and the glass certain kits emit more UV then others as well... Heat output of HID kits is comparable if not less to that of your standard 55W halogens.

Ah the price we pay for better lighting.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
early birthday present to your self brokenvendetta?...hopefully nothing is wrong with the kit...:biggrin:

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
early birthday present to your self brokenvendetta?...hopefully nothing is wrong with the kit...:biggrin:

pretty much :biggrin:

the fiance' hasn't been happy with my modding/spending as of late, but its MY money for 1 more month... need to spend it now while I still can :laugh:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
LOL...i know exactly what your going through; well not really...LOL i am not married(no time soon...:rofl: but my chick is back in Hawaii(for the whole summer) so i tried to buy all the parts and mod my truck while she's gone. so that by the time she gets back she can't bust my balls for spending all MY MONEY. :eviltongue::eviltongue:

pretty much :biggrin:

the fiance' hasn't been happy with my modding/spending as of late, but its MY money for 1 more month... need to spend it now while I still can :laugh:

Top Bottom