Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WB Part 2... Surprise!!!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Idk man... But I missed 2 car shows n a Dyno day. The intention was to give all this 2 weeks n be ready for the new year... Look where we r at now...lol.... It also had a rattle upon startup for a split second , cold startup, which is one of the reasons why we replaced all the chains n guides n all the timing components.

Good find! Like torspd said leave it to Ray....

Mine also has a knock on cold start for a couple of seconds then goes away. My dirt bikes would do the same with a forged piston which was normal so I am hoping the same applies... What does worry me though is it's really strange but if I start the truck and let it idle after about 5 min it knocks like mad until I give it some throttle and up the oil pressure.... or if I shit it down and restart it's gone.... Never happens when it's fully warm or if I drive it before it starts to knock it doesn't happen.... I am thinking its gotta be something in the VVTI...:dontknow:

Miami_X

Reaction score
OK, WB, let's set a 'Test and Tune' night at PBIR real soon!!

Whitebeauty

Reaction score

Mine also has a knock on cold start for a couple of seconds then goes away. My dirt bikes would do the same with a forged piston which was normal so I am hoping the same applies... What does worry me though is it's really strange but if I start the truck and let it idle after about 5 min it knocks like mad until I give it some throttle and up the oil pressure.... or if I shit it down and restart it's gone.... Never happens when it's fully warm or if I drive it before it starts to knock it doesn't happen.... I am thinking its gotta be something in the VVTI...:dontknow:

I'm thinkin the same on the VVTI. Mine is only upon the first startup of the day which is. Old obviously. For prob 2sec in then it goes away. What worries me is if the VVTI that was starved this whole time took some damage or something... ***.. I couldn't believe it when I saw it... A little screen filter. Dave told me the same thing it would be very minut.

OK, WB, let's set a 'Test and Tune' night at PBIR real soon!!

That we will.... I wanna see this thing fly down the 1/4.

Last edited:

Miami_X

Reaction score
My kids will shoot the video....but you'll have to let me win once! lol

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
engine bay is looking awesome man! i have to agree with everyone though....need to see this thing go down the 1/4 mile! maybe get some light 15" or 16" wheels with some slicks....

Gadget

Reaction score
If it lasts for a couple of seconds on a cold start it is most likely dry bearing knock. The clearance on the engine bearings might be on the high side of tolerance. You can get the dry bearing knock on a cold start until the oil pressure comes up and floats the bearings.

If the knock continues for a while until things heat up it might be piston slap. This is common with forged pistons.

If it continues after warm up, something is very wrong.

G

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
engine bay is looking awesome man! i have to agree with everyone though....need to see this thing go down the 1/4 mile! maybe get some light 15" or 16" wheels with some slicks....

Yeah will do as soon as I can. Can do the little wheels though got Big Brake Kit.

If it lasts for a couple of seconds on a cold start it is most likely dry bearing knock. The clearance on the engine bearings might be on the high side of tolerance. You can get the dry bearing knock on a cold start until the oil pressure comes up and floats the bearings.

If the knock continues for a while until things heat up it might be piston slap. This is common with forged pistons.

If it continues after warm up, something is very wrong.

G

Yeup sounds about right....

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

Put a 5 or 10w-40 in and some Redline ZDDP.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shoot. Use a little Lucas Oil heavy oil stabilizer. Got to keep the slap down.

Toon714

Reaction score
Lol why would u use spacers with my old wheels?
It should be a perfect fitment.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Unfortunately for my taste n vehicle there not flush. The specs might be good for the Tacomas but for the 4runners they need more poke. The front wheels r sunk in a bit. The back I spaced to give it the staggered look and handling.

Toon714

Reaction score
Ahh ok. Make sense now. But spacers are still scary. Especiay using 1/2in thick.
Just keep an eye on the spacers. I seen disaster happen with them.

Post the pics of the truck now!
Tell me when u wanna buy my ccw classic. ;)

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Ahh ok. Make sense now. But spacers are still scary. Especiay using 1/2in thick.
Just keep an eye on the spacers. I seen disaster happen with them.

Post the pics of the truck now!
Tell me when u wanna buy my ccw classic. ;)

Lol... Soon needs a bath... Dang no more wheels...lol.... Gonna see if I can finally finish the rear air setup. Need tank n compressor n valves n stuff... Going digital don't want manual.

SooRunner

Reaction score
That's a monster there! I'm very Jealous! Good Job! Need some videos of the Beauty what the Beast has created!:top:

Toon714

Reaction score
Lol... Soon needs a bath... Dang no more wheels...lol.... Gonna see if I can finally finish the rear air setup. Need tank n compressor n valves n stuff... Going digital don't want manual.

Go accuair or airlift v2.
U wonr go wrong with any of those.

Im running the airlift v2 on my lexus and i love it!

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
That's a monster there! I'm very Jealous! Good Job! Need some videos of the Beauty what the Beast has created!:top:

Soon to come... Started tuning yesterday...

Go accuair or airlift v2.
U wonr go wrong with any of those.

Im running the airlift v2 on my lexus and i love it!

Sweet I'll look into it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom