Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Weak ass windshield

GR8DANE

Reaction score
you definately got a good price, i work for safelite and the numbers i usually se are 250-280 is average for your domestics(ford, chevy, dodge)...for foreign its usually 320-350

rich017

Reaction score
The windshield is not weak. That is why whenever you change wiper blades, you let the arm rest on the glass. Some idiots leave them up and then end up slamming against the windshield and cracking it. Have seen it happen at the dealership and school.

Springloaded metal hitting that hard with such a small contact surface, will crack it easily

DGXR

Reaction score
On my second windshield as well. I was a field tech and drove everywhere and had over 10 spiders and a crack from left to right b4 I replaced mine 2 years ago. Changed professions and invested in an AVS bug guard and had my friend paint and clear it swb. No cracks since.

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The windshield is not weak. That is why whenever you change wiper blades, you let the arm rest on the glass. Some idiots leave them up and then end up slamming against the windshield and cracking it. Have seen it happen at the dealership and school.

Springloaded metal hitting that hard with such a small contact surface, will crack it easily

Pretty much already established that the WS is not weak. Although...

Its the first time ive ever seen it happen. And its the first time its ever happen to hit the X, but i have seen those things hit the glass on other vehicles and never saw a problem. It was kinda odd that from only about 4 to 5 inches away it would do that. Im not sure why people would leave them up. Thats asking for trouble. I was picking it back off the glass and it came out of my slippery hands out in the pouring ass rain. It didnt even leave a mark so i never thought anything of it, till the next day.

Ninja17

Reaction score
Safelight repair(i think they are national) is charging me $242.00 for the whole thing. Even coming to my house to do it. Seems like a good price to me :dontknow:

hahaha. why is everyone saying thats a good price?

youre overpaying. when i had mine replaced i called a few places and the highest quote i got was $150.

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
You're calling some ghetto ass places in who knows where. A windshield is expensive, sunshine. Just saying. :p

sixstringdave

Reaction score
And that may be in your area. Everywhere is different. Personally i went with Safelite because my insurance agent(ive had the same one for like 9 years and he is sorta a friend) recommended them. I saw some lower prices, but not by much. And i have no idea what kind of places they were(ghetto:dontknow:) Hahaha!!

Anyways, my guy backed them up and they DID NOT disappoint. And 242 bucks is almost nothing for a new WS to me. To each his own:rockon:

butters607

Reaction score
i had a little tiny rock hit mine and its really windy here and i got a crack in mine they are $hitty

Superloki24

Reaction score
Yeah I had the same problem, one day I got a stone chip (hardly noticable) and then when I went to go start the truck in the morning it turned into a 6 inch crack. Mind you it was like -35 that night but I didn't think it would have done that. Each day it slowly spreads, I am just waiting until I have to absolutely buy a new one.

BlackCat

Reaction score
No real issues here. I've got a couple minor chips, just below the wiper lines, but nothing otherwise. I've also had the wiper's slip out of my hands and smack the windshield like you, but nothing ever happened. The tempered glass used in windshields is under stress (due to the thermal process it goes through in manufacturing), so it's not a *huge* surprise it cracked. That, and windshields are technically a structural element in a vehicle's frame so any frame racking the vehicle sees will also transmit through to the glass. So if the glass has a weak spot (like a spider crack), it'll spread.

I've lost windshields on other vehicles, but those were usually pretty obvious right off the bat. Had a gravel truck put a hole through the windshield on my old Acura CL-S. My MX-6 lost it's front glass back on October when a rock, from out of absolutely nowhere, put a hole through it. Just got it replaced a month ago.

Ninja17

Reaction score
You're calling some ghetto ass places in who knows where. A windshield is expensive, sunshine. Just saying. :p

ROFL. sunshine? man, thats a first. they couldnt of been that ghetto cause they had nothing but benz's lined up gettin their winshield changed.

lvxr

Reaction score
i've always been nervous about the windshield wiper arm slipping out of my hand when changing blades....never actually hapenned though...that sucks that u got a crack because of it...isnt a windshield supposed to be stronger then that!? i mean, u said u only had it up a few inches....that's wack...oh well, it'll be fixed by the time u read this soo.....good luck with ur next windshield :top:

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Yeah sunshine, it's my goto nickname. :laugh:

It means I love you though! :)

sandman21

Reaction score
I had a rock chip up last year and it chipped right in the bottom center and then cracked about 5 inches up and to the right.....So I had my insurance get it repaired and safelite did a really good job, you could barely see it.....then It got cold as shit and the crack grew all the way to the right, I figure I'll wait til I get a rock chip the drivers side and then fork over the 250......the crack is only on the passenger side anyway

dramad1

Reaction score
dam it $250- $500 bucks for deduct, what a rip. got a crack in my driverside dead center second day i had the truck. i pay $5 bucks extra a month for glass coverage through farmers insurance. safelight came out and fixed it the next day. lifetime war, and he cleaned all my windows and vacuumed my ride, no charge to me. tried to tip him and he refuse to take my money so i offered him a brew - and turned it down, who turns down a beer? they do quality work though.

XRunner562

Reaction score
Funny story. I had the exact same problem couple months ago. People couldn't believe that it could happen. I just used the Permatex Windshield Repair. Filled up the crack and its fine now. The crack is visible but least its not cracking anymore.

gunner76137

Reaction score
I got a rock chip in mine this last winter. But i didnt take any chances ,I called my insurance man to ask who they used and he told me that if I took it to them before it started to spiderweb that they cover 100% of the repair. I went that same day and got it fixed.

R1 Chris

Reaction score
sorry to hear that brother it happen to me too. it sucks.

Jwall

Reaction score
Dude thats terrible, but good price! That should be a defect.... another recal for toyota..along with our fender flares..

Top Bottom