Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What differential fluid in a '09

cbr264

Reaction score
I want to change the differential fluid in my truck. What is the best diff fluid to use in a '09 X?

Gee

Reaction score
I would recommend redline or amsoil 75w90 either one you cant go wrong.

cbr264

Reaction score
I looked it up in my owner's manual. It say's to use 3.66 qts of LT 75W-85 GL-5 or equivalent. Is 75w90 OK to use?

cbr264

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using royal purple 75w90 synthetic gear oil, since my local parts store carries it.

Reaction score
I was planning to change the fluid in my truck fairly soon as well. Anyone know what the torque specs are for the drain and filler plugs on the diff? I bought the two aluminum crush washers required, but I'd like to make sure I don't over/under tighten them.

06blueXR

Reaction score
i usally torque them to 25 - 30 ft-lbs

Last edited:

LilRed

Reaction score
SO... Differential Fluid and Manual Fluid are the same?
Because they are all gears right?

So I can get Redline MT-90 for both my differential change and transmission change?

Just making sure.

poki

Reaction score
LSD Modifier

I would recommend redline or amsoil 75w90 either one you cant go wrong.
I changed my rearend oil to the Redline 75W90 synthetic and added a 4 oz container of LSD modifier. The rearend still groaned so I added another 4 oz container of modifier. The rearend still groans especially in reverse and starting out slow in first. Should I add another 4 oz of LSD modifier? Is there sure a thing as too much modifier?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT USE MT 90 IN YOUR DIFF!! Use the redline gear oil refer to redlines website and read the third point for mt 90. I made this mistake but was able to change it out before damage was done!

LilRed

Reaction score
DO NOT USE MT 90 IN YOUR DIFF!! Use the redline gear oil refer to redlines website and read the third point for mt 90. I made this mistake but was able to change it out before damage was done!

My bad... I just need to look into it before I asked. I went on the redline website and saw the info. I should have looked it up before asking. Thanks for confirming the info though. Hate to break something!!! Thanks

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
No worries man, like I said I put mt90 in my diff and only last week found out I needed to change it!! better to ask than not! GL bud. I dunno about you but gear oil is one of the worst smells for me lol and I work in a dairy plant lol

LilRed

Reaction score
Hahah, if oil could have a rotten smell, that would be gear oil. LOL
More than sour milk, quite possibly.:puke:

SooRunner

Reaction score
Some gear oil already contain LSD fluid....read the labels carefully.

Gear oil = whale fat!

Top Bottom