Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What do You think

JC2011XR

Reaction score
How much power do you think the following mods would get me at the back wheels?
1) AFE or URD CAI 2) DTLT Headers 3) CatBack Exhaust 4) Manifold Spacer 5) URD Maf Cal. Be realistic. Thanks

sixstringdave

Reaction score
I put 241hp to the wheels with my set up. You may make a little less cause i have a couple more things that help. But not much more.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
i would say about 20 to 30 hp gain and noticeably better mileage :top:

if you're staying n/a save yourself the money and keep the stock catback. it has great mandrel bends and if you're not boosting you won't gain anything from a larger catback. i would suggest cutting the muffler out and welding in a magnaflow :top:

and instead put your money into a y-pipe! our stock y-pipes are complete garbage :thumbdown: they have bad kinks in the bends and the piping isn't the same size all the way through. the cats are also restrictive

and lastly if you have any un-wanted rasp or its just too loud for your liking weld a second muffler or vibrant ultra quiet resonator into the catback just after the y-pipe :top:

Last edited:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The only reason i have an upgraded fuel pump is because it was time to change the filter. And the upgraded in-line one from URD is cheaper than the stock in-tank one that Toyota sells. By far...

Murderface

Reaction score
i noticed a lot of those n/a set-ups have upgraded fuel pumps when i myself being s/c haven't even upgraded my fuel pump :laugh: when i upgrade my fuel pump what kind of gains should i be expecting?

No gains whatsoever, that's not why u would want to replace it. The stock fuel pump filter can only be replaced as a whole unit that is over $400, when u use a Walbro 255 pump upgrade not only will u be upping the amount it could pump but ur also adding a new external filter that u can change regularly

JC2011XR

Reaction score
Awesome information! Thanks so much. Question, probably a dumb one, but, when you replace the stock fuel pump with something like the Walbro 255 does the old stock one have to be removed? Also, what kind of other go fast goodies do you have sixstringdave?

Oh yeah, any other items to add to these N/A trucks to make them produce more power

Last edited:

sixstringdave

Reaction score
The stock pump should be removed.

The other 2 goodies i was referring to would be my Hayden electric fan and the NST crank pulley i got. They dont add any HP, but free up the HP the engine already has from parasitic loss.

JC2011XR

Reaction score
Torspd, that's some more good concrete info. I am coming to the conclusion that the N/A trucks can get up to 230 to 240+ hp with simple bolt on parts. Much above that and you have to go internals, porting polishing etc., of forced induction. Pretty much anyway you go = $$$

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, exhaust cam gears, or exhaust cams are a pretty simple swap. Just need down time if you have cams done. But, there is no data on how much would be gained by exhaust cams alone. Heck, even a full set of cams for that matter.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only been a known handful of people to get cams. SourthernmostXR being one currently.

No dynos though....

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Wait,are we talking about ttc cams or the apr or urd cam gears

Reaction score
Yep I have the TTC cams stage II, but were way radical for the truck without a tune, it missed a lot so I`ve been working on a EMS for a while... well 09 problems pin harness and VVTI. I think finally got a Pro efi 128 with custom harness for a Tacoma 1gr and maybe it will be in this week, will let you know about progress.

I had 241 rwhp without cams, valvetrain or fuel lines done to larger diameter, ssteel braided lines with in line fuel filter and 300 lph pump, also added a return line .......and a fuel pressure regulator and 1000cc injectors all from Dezod, we will see how much NA hp with gas and with cane juice looking for 300.

dramad1

Reaction score
So did you get the cam shafts that they are offering or cam gears just to clarify for me also did you get valve springs as well? I've been thinking of getting a set of these for a while now as we'll as a uconn. Maybe a new intake mani as well. Strictly n/a build, I'm just on the fence about it though as not a whole lot of people have went this route and most have ran into a few issues.

Reaction score
Yeah I got the 4 cams and springs but no need for cam gears on the 09, they are Variable Valve Timing, on the 08 you need the cam gears as well, which the Ucon offers along with Thermostat.

Get the intake spacer from NST it is proven to make hp and torque its affordable also DTLTH and TCAI are a must for NA build

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Ya if someones sellen a used nst spacer,good look thru nst

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
No gains whatsoever, that's not why u would want to replace it. The stock fuel pump filter can only be replaced as a whole unit that is over $400, when u use a Walbro 255 pump upgrade not only will u be upping the amount it could pump but ur also adding a new external filter that u can change regularly

gotcha! thanks man!

dramad1

Reaction score
Yeah I got the 4 cams and springs but no need for cam gears on the 09, they are Variable Valve Timing, on the 08 you need the cam gears as well, which the Ucon offers along with Thermostat.

Get the intake spacer from NST it is proven to make hp and torque its affordable also DTLTH and TCAI are a must for NA build

Yeah I got the intake mani spacer, afe stage 2si, jba lt's, 3" urd cb. To further my n/a build I have been thinking of the cam shafts and valve spring w/ the uconn and cam gears. And finish it up w/ a urd y pipe and new intake mani possibly if they become avail. We will see.
Another part of this decision that is holding me up is down time for x, install difficulty and technicality, and cost. Lol. I'm already on motor two so I'd like to do it but do it right.
If I don't go this route I may just go for the Trd sc,uconn, wal255, and y pipe, bbk.
Not sure what to do. I think the Trd sc would be simpler and overall easier more cost effective route. Hmmm. Hmmm???????

Last edited:
Top Bottom