Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What makes you choose your mods?

Generation-X

Reaction score
So ive been really wondering lately. What makes you choose the mods you do on your X?

Following the 'trend'?
Love what it does?
Love how it looks?

Ive noticed there are more pioneers as far as performance goes but only a few related to the looks department. Obviously the sponsors being helpful in keeping things moving and people like Coupe for innovating interesting things but how about everything else? Havent seen much new lately other then a few interior mods (Seen alot from Coupe and the new Speaker box sponsor)...

What makes you choose 'looks' over 'go-fast'?

Coupe

Reaction score
The Devil...........

made me do it........................

Venomous_X

Reaction score
well, I was always a looks over speed guy and only because my lead foot already keeps me in trouble. I dont like my temper especially on the road so racing is bad and if i could truly go fast, that would me my problem.... Looks are super important and i do what I feel looks good :top:

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I do it to get rid of the chrome, although I'm into the sleeper look. really there isn't much to do on a 4runner so it kinda works out. whats really killing me is the rims. I would like some rims but I really want to go faster so they take a back seat.

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned was enhanced with go fast mods because I like knowing that when I pull up to a light I'm going to win (most of the time). As for looks I have always tried to do things a little different because I don't want ppl to think that I own just another SWB X, but its always speed first.

Grumpy

Reaction score
In a nutshell, mostly budget....is the deciding factor for me. And the eternal conflict between needs & wants.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
I picked the TCAI and S/S just on reviews on XRU. After reading the reviews I couldn't help myself... but I have to say the reviews on here are very true... I love my URD stuff. Unfortunately (for me not G) I still have an urge to buy more go fast goodies.

Fisherman

Reaction score
for go fast i do alot of research on here then decide. then for looks i do what i like.

livinginsa

Reaction score
Of course, things I am interested in determine my mods. I don't care much about music so I am stock on the sounds. I like music but it doesn't run my world. I like speed so most of my mods have to do with speed. Then I care about my life so the front and rear Rotors went on. Can't have speed without braking and cornering so I am working on the suspension, right now.

Looks and sounds aren't quite as important to me so I don't have a tail end like yours. Your customized tail end is really nice but it isn't duplicatable; it is custom. Ya, someone can duplicate it but it isn't a mod one can buy from APR or URD and just bolt on. If it was, I would get that.

Another important thing is if I can install it myself or with some help. I would rather do it myself; that is a big plus. If someone else has to do the whole mod, I am not quite as interested.

Now, I am interested in mods that no one else has on their Xr. I want to be a little unique but I want a mod that I like at the same time.

Probably the next mod that I would like after I get done with this APR/DJM mod is the Coupe/oil pan mod. I could use a ittle more power so anything that would get me another 100+ hp would interest me.

So Coupe, how is the oil pan coming along?

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
Since I can't save money for shit it has to do with how much money I currently have and then I see what mod nets the most power and go from there. I won't tear into my engine unless I have to so until then it's just bolt ons. I too am not all about the sounds in my truck but I do have a SubX and that is good enough for me at the moment, it could sound better but now I working on the looks part.

azburnin

Reaction score
My old taco was sound, I had a 2500 dollar system in it. You knew when i was coming haaaa. But I couldn't get up to speed on the freeway as fast. So my goal for this truck is performance geared. Plus i was loosing my hearing on the old sound system.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Anything I do to the truck is never on a whim. Sometimes for looks, but mostly for improvement. I drive it everyday, use it as a truck (home depot, motorcycles, tow a trailer) so none of the functionality can be lost. I don't want someone looking at it and saying "hey, nice spoiler or this or that". I believe any apperance mods should be done so that it looks like it SHOULD have come from the factory looking like that.
I'm not looking for attention from people, those that know what a XR is, they will spot the changes. If they don't, it's a Tacoma, cool.
Example: I wouldn't put purple HIDs in that are low beam only. You lose the functionality of the high beams and gain attention from people who fine you for 'colored' headlights. etc.

RedXRunner

"Splash Baby Douchecanoe"
Reaction score
In a nutshell, mostly budget....is the deciding factor for me. And the eternal conflict between needs & wants.

well, I was always a looks over speed guy and only because my lead foot already keeps me in trouble. I dont like my temper especially on the road so racing is bad and if i could truly go fast, that would me my problem.... Looks are super important and i do what I feel looks good :top:

Ditto.

I was satisfied the way my truck looked and performed when I bought it. The extra things I have is just a +

squidboy

Reaction score
I had a list of things that I wanted to do to the truck when I bought it. I work in commission sales, so when I make 'extra' money I just continue to work my way through the list. I am also opportunistic - if I see someone selling something here that I want or a good vendor sale I will buy it as well. #1 rule though - cash only. If I don't have it - I don't buy it.
I would also add that nearly all my mods are under the hood or in stock places (like the stereo upgrade). I also want someone to look at it and think that it is a factory truck. It would take an X-runner owner to spot the minor changes I have made on the exterior.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
For me it's a simple formula. Cost + amount of change/improvment = next mod. Being that I'm still in the early stages of modification, I've taken the most cost effective mods, put them in order of importance/desire and just moved down the list. Soon all the lower cost mods will be done and I'll have to move on to bigger and more expensive things, but for now, I'm takin the low road.

MplsX

Reaction score
If a "mod" makes the truck work better of drive safer than I am all for it. If someone doesn't know my vehicle and can't tell that it's not stock, I approve. When I was younger I use to bolt on all sorts of questionable devices to cars, but after working as a professional service tech for many years I am most apt to leave things stock. Toyota has spent a large amount of money to get things mostly correct and I doubt if some 19 year old who reads a few posts online can outsmart their R&D. Go ahead and strap that eBay piggyback ECU on, but remember that "Goliath doesn't like it when David tells him what to do."
That being said, not all "mods" are bad. I love my lockable bed compartments, my TRD short shifter and feel better knowing that I have a stick jammed in the track of my sliding rear window. But you will never see my truck with HID headlight bulbs stuck onto stock reflectors, or a set of heavy 24 inch rims. I gotta show some good taste and not ruin the thing!

TomsXR

Reaction score
I choose mods that make sense to me these days. Cover that locks so it makes it harder for someone to steal the tailgate. S/S making it easier to shift. Stubby antenna so don't hit tree branches. CAI to improve gas mileage a little hopefully. I used to do the car audio competition stuff long time ago so the need to make time consuming mods are gone, sure I miss it, but its much easier on the wallet.

EhdzXrunnR

Reaction score
I am choosing my MODs 1st the used for it, then the looks, then the power...(budget??i'll just start saving one at a time)...

Top Bottom