Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Where is My Brake Fluid Going?

xptical

Reaction score
'05 SWB XR. About every 6 months, I need to add brake fluid to the reservoir. I can't see a leak anywhere.

Any ideas?

Gadget

Reaction score
It could be the master cylinder leaking into the power booster.

G

rexrunner

Reaction score
Exactly. Remove Ur brake booster fitting on tye brake booster. Remove the silver valve then o ring. Get a paper towel. Rolls 8t up and try to dip it in there so it can reach the bottom and check. Also check is the rubber line for any signs of fluid

xptical

Reaction score
If I do find it leaking in there, what needs to be replaced in order to stop the leak?

Will I need to drain the system and re-fill/bleed after?

xptical

Reaction score
Wow. Now it is as clear as mud. :)

I guess I'll spend tomorrow playing with the system.

BlackCat

Reaction score
How much are you adding at every top-off ? And what kind of brakes do you have on the truck ?

Murderface

Reaction score
Doesn't that also happen when your brake pads get low???

Yes and that's why u never add any fluid to the resevior. I can't stand it when someone's car/truck I'm working on has done that because as soon as u push the pistons back in the fluid leaks out the resevior all over and it's no good for paint.

OP have u taken the drums off to see if one of ur brake cylinders is leaking?

BlackCat

Reaction score
OP have u taken the drums off to see if one of ur brake cylinders is leaking?

On that note, do you park the truck in the same spot every night at home and/or every day at work ? If so, do you have brake fluid spills on the ground ? Which end of the truck is the spill on ?

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
A picture is worth a 1000 words. What is it you don't see or understand.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
Like said before, 6 months isn't bad. How much are you having to add? Is the res on the master getting empty? Does it stay above the min line on it. If your just talking a small amount to top it off it will most likely be just the pad wear.

A major leak would take less then 6 months to get low.

blastap

Reaction score
You might check the clutch master/slave. Mine has leaked from here before

STONER-X

Reaction score
if there is a leak here is what you can do....

get some card board cut it up so you can put a piece under each wheel, master cylinder and brake booster.... best if you can find something you can just drive your truck over.... now park your truck and find something to keep the break pedal pressed.. you can take a piece of wood and place it between your seat and brake pedal.. apply pressure to the pedal (not too much but enough to load up the brake lines) leave parked over night and see if there are any leaks in the morning..

also like blastap said check the slave cylinder... crawl under the driver side of the truck and and look at the side of the trany.... if there are any leaks on the side of the trany (not the front or rear) then there might be a leaking slave.

xptical

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, but I was doing other things.

I park in the same spot and have never seen a leak. I'll try the cardboard thing this weekend.

Every 6 months, the "brake" light comes on. Usually as I apply the brakes. I add maybe half a bottle of fluid.

It isn't a major leak. But it isn't just normal drain from worn pads. I haven't seen any signs of leaks on the firewall or on my pavement.

aloe

Reaction score
I have a similar problem....I notice there is a drop whenever I have to brake hard & when the ABS system engages.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, but I was doing other things.

I park in the same spot and have never seen a leak. I'll try the cardboard thing this weekend.

Every 6 months, the "brake" light comes on. Usually as I apply the brakes. I add maybe half a bottle of fluid.

It isn't a major leak. But it isn't just normal drain from worn pads. I haven't seen any signs of leaks on the firewall or on my pavement.

MplsX

Reaction score
It could be the master cylinder leaking into the power booster.

G

I think Mr. G is correct. Your fluid is most likely being sucked past your seals in the master cylinder into the booster and then being burned in the engine. Separate the M/C from the booster and check for moisture. Then replace the master cylinder. It's relatively easy and cheap.

Top Bottom