Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Which drop kit would be better w/ 20's?

nick81olson

Reaction score
Hey you guys, I got a :questionmark: ... I really want to drop my xr with 20s or 22s... Most likely with 20s cause i want more than just a 2 inch drop... I mean come on, if your gona go low, go as low as you can with out bagging it right? :rock: well, I think i might go with the DJM Kit but which one, the 3/3 or 3/4? :hmmmm2: Also with either kit would there be clearance issues with 20s, or maybe the tires would be the problem if so what size of tire should i run that would still have enought meat on it so i dont bend a rim?... How much work is involed? I know some of you have been in this situation before and probably got it all figured out now, so i thought someone could help me out and put my :questionmark: 's to rest... I hope!:hmmmm2: :banghead:
any info would be great... I want to get it right the first time... if you know what i mean...

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Jonathan probabley needs to chime in on this one.. i would say you would be good to go with a djm 3/3 drop with 20's :top:

morcheez

Reaction score
just know with more than a two inch drop u will need some skinnys

DMC

Reaction score
Yea, Jon has the DJM 3/4 drop kit with 20x9's on. Tire size (I believe) is 275/35/20 at all four corners. He rubs a little in the front, and trimmed down the fender flares a little in the rear, to avoid rubbing issues as well. Make sure you look into getting the correct offset as well(if you can)!:top:

nick81olson

Reaction score
Yea the wheels im looking at is an high offset wheel so it should be alright... and when you say jon trimed down his fender flares you mean the plastic flares? also do you still notch the frame with a 3/3? If i do a 3/3 drop then the truck wont sit level will it?

DMC

Reaction score
Yes...the plastic flares, and he trimmed some of the metal behind it as well. BTW..The DJM full drop kit comes with a notch for the rear, and your choice of 3" or 4" blocks. If you "don't" notch the rear with a 3" drop, your truck will be sitting on the bump stops. With a 3/3 drop, your truck would still have a slight rake look( little higher in the rear). Jon has the 3/4 drop kit, and his truck sits pretty much even!:top:

Yea the wheels im looking at is an high offset wheel so it should be alright... and when you say jon trimed down his fender flares you mean the plastic flares? also do you still notch the frame with a 3/3? If i do a 3/3 drop then the truck wont sit level will it?

Bobby B

Reaction score

nick81olson

Reaction score
Not to sound mean but I've always thought of the XR as performance vehicle, So IMHO a perfomance oriented wheel fits the XR better then a luxery wheel

Hey I hear ya on that one... Im just looking around right now...thats why im asking for others opinions... What brands of wheels should i be looking at? Theres so many out there! I like what jonathan has on his XR but i cant find a style simular to that... :top:

nxrunner

Reaction score
I personally like the rims, especially the wide chrome lip. :top:

Jonathan

Reaction score
Hey you guys, I got a :questionmark: ... I really want to drop my xr with 20s or 22s... Most likely with 20s cause i want more than just a 2 inch drop... I mean come on, if your gona go low, go as low as you can with out bagging it right? :rock: well, I think i might go with the DJM Kit but which one, the 3/3 or 3/4? :hmmmm2: Also with either kit would there be clearance issues with 20s, or maybe the tires would be the problem if so what size of tire should i run that would still have enought meat on it so i dont bend a rim?... How much work is involed? I know some of you have been in this situation before and probably got it all figured out now, so i thought someone could help me out and put my :questionmark: 's to rest... I hope!:hmmmm2: :banghead:
any info would be great... I want to get it right the first time... if you know what i mean...

you are going to rub with 20's. period. i would stay with 255 35 20 if you want the least amount possible. i cut a huge chunk of my rear fenders to clear, too. also its a major PITA install. make sure you are pretty mechanically inclined if you are going to tackle it. also 3 or 4 block wont matter..cutting will end up the same pretty much.

nick81olson

Reaction score
you are going to rub with 20's. period. i would stay with 255 35 20 if you want the least amount possible. i cut a huge chunk of my rear fenders to clear, too. also its a major PITA install. make sure you are pretty mechanically inclined if you are going to tackle it. also 3 or 4 block wont matter..cutting will end up the same pretty much.

What part of installing the DJM kit was a PITA? And what if i just stuck with the stock wheels? And even with 3'' blocks i will have to cut my rear fenders?

Jonathan

Reaction score
What part of installing the DJM kit was a PITA? And what if i just stuck with the stock wheels? And even with 3'' blocks i will have to cut my rear fenders?

3" blocks on stock wheels, shouldddd be ok. with my 4" block, i had to cut them up even for the stock wheels. pressing out the ball joints and getting them off sucked major butt.

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
3" blocks on stock wheels, shouldddd be ok. with my 4" block, i had to cut them up even for the stock wheels. pressing out the ball joints and getting them off sucked major butt.

Hey Jon I'm getting ready to get the DJM . I do not have a press...can I remove all the control arms and take them to a machine shop? I just noticed on the installation they only remove one at a time...thats a lot of trips back and forth...

Jonathan

Reaction score
they ask to do the tops, then the bottoms. i am not sure if anything will be thrown off if you take all the a arms off at once. might want to call them about that. anyways, yeah, it was a bitch to do without a press :motz:

Top Bottom