Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Which rim size combo is better?

wchoy09

Reaction score
Soon i hope to get new rims for my X however i am not very knowledgeable in the tire and rim department. heres the two set ups:

#1 18 x 9.5 with a 25mm offset all four corners

or

#2 Staggered: 18x 9.5 with 25mm offset in the back and 18 x 8 with 35mm off set in the front

I plan on using the stock Potenza tires on either set up. And am also planning on getting the ss coils in the future as well.

So the question is which set up will work the best?

And what are the positives and negatives of running one over the other?

Thank!

p.s. the rims i plan on running are the Konig lace rims and i don't wanna go bigger than 18 because i live in hawaii and the roads arnt great, especially when I go to the beach, so I'm avoiding rim rash.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Either or is fine. If you go staggered tho, I would go 18x8.5 with a 25 offset in the front, instead of 18x8 with 35 offset. If you get that, it will be stock rim size, but stick a little more in the wheel well than the stock size.

TXR-HI

Reaction score
Mort-Runner got it 18x8 +35 is like stocks!. go w/ 18x9.5 +25. A lot of room to play!

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Either or is fine. If you go staggered tho, I would go 18x8.5 with a 25 offset in the front, instead of 18x8 with 35 offset. If you get that, it will be stock rim size, but stick a little more in the wheel well than the stock size.
:dito:
Here's a chop I did a while back.
Note that the lip wouldn't look like this, but you get the idea:

KonigLace-1.jpg

XrunnIT

Reaction score

Actually 18x8 is the stock size. The +25 will push it out a bit more.

IMO, i'd say got 18x9.5 in all 4 corners.

dont get stock tires, anything else is better than stockers

The stock tires are much better then people give them credit for. Only downside I had with the stockers is there lack of tread life.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Actually 18x8 is the stock size. The +25 will push it out a bit more.

IMO, i'd say got 18x9.5 in all 4 corners.

The stock tires are much better then people give them credit for. Only downside I had with the stockers is there lack of tread life.

Thats what I said, or tried to say anyways...haha!. 18x8 with 35 will stick more in the wheel well than stock. I know stock is 18x8 with 30 offset.

COWBELL

Reaction score
I have 18X9.5 +20 with stretched stockers all around, and I REALLY, "REALLY" like how it fills out the wheel wells etc...and no, im still waiting to drop it do to being poor at the moment and scared to run into any issues to install the suspension, it will be tits once lowered. I do want wider tires for the rear eventually for grip, but I will work and formulate that when the time comes.

also...make sure you get hub centric rings if your new wheels need em... check hub bore size etc.

just for reference sake:

grids14.jpg

Last edited:

wchoy09

Reaction score
Cowbell you have sold me! those wheels and rims look perfect and i would be more than happy lookin like that. your pics really helped THANKS!

Coupe

Reaction score
I have 18X9.5 +20 with stretched stockers all around, and I REALLY, "REALLY" like how it fills out the wheel wells etc...and no, im still waiting to drop it do to being poor at the moment and scared to run into any issues to install the suspension, it will be tits once lowered. I do want wider tires for the rear eventually for grip, but I will work and formulate that when the time comes.

also...make sure you get hub centric rings if your new wheels need em... check hub bore size etc.

just for reference sake:

grids14.jpg

Looks Good. I like it!

COWBELL

Reaction score
Cowbell you have sold me! those wheels and rims look perfect and i would be more than happy lookin like that. your pics really helped THANKS!
no problem, happy to help :top:

also my stockers are at 17k miles now 5k since the wheels and still doing great. They spin a little easier when pushed, but the lateral grip has never failed.

rich017

Reaction score
Only thing is that with a staggered set-up, you can't rotate tires

DustyXRunner

Reaction score
dont get stock tires, anything else is better than stockers

i love my stock tires. they are the best performance tire ive owned. they grip really well. the reason they wear out so quick is because they are a sticky performance tire. compared to like the toyo t1r they last twice as long. but that is just my opinion.

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
Cowbell, please remove the pics of your truck from this website! I can't afford to keep looking at it.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
Only thing is that with a staggered set-up, you can't rotate tires

You actually can rotate them, but it depends on the tire tread. You can only rotate from left to right. Good example is a staggered set up with Nitto Invo's. Then you can rotated from left to right. Haha!

Top Bottom