Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Wide Band question

itsdesignateddave

Reaction score
When I purchased my truck 95% of the work was done by the previous owner. I've got an autometer cobalt boost gauge, but an empty second "hole" in my dual pillar pod. I've been told by more than one person a good idea would be a wide band gauge. I have looked at several but I'm not sure which one or even which route to go. I've a TRD supercharger and DTLT headers which don't have all the O2 sensor holes among other things that could change the route in which I go. My father has worked for Toyota 30+ years as a mechanic and he's against messing with the fuel lines as he said they were solid (not rubber), and I would trust him with anything. Any input would be appreciated as to which route most members go in this situation.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
It all depends on what your mod plans are for the future. If you plan to swap pullies, increase boost or any motor mods for that matter, hands down you should get an afr gauge and weld in a bung into the y pipe.

If that's not in your future I personally would get an oil pressure gauge, since a few members have ran dry doing autox or taking on ramps too fast and poped motors...

burnboy

Reaction score
Aem uego wideband. $200. Connect the power and ground wires and the gauge is operational. Get a ss bung welded in the 6 pipe at the collector and screw it in and plug it in and voila. Easy as apple pie

itsdesignateddave

Reaction score
It already has underdrive pulleys as well, so I don't think I plan on doing any other motor modifications. I was just wanting to make sure the fuel pump would keep up under hard acceleration more than anything.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
This is the most accurate, fastest responding, true digital technology, easiest to install wideband unit on the market today and it is at a great price point:

http://www.urdusa.com/Electronics-W...uge-Kit-ALL-IN-ONE-w/sensor/product_info.html

G

Haven't installed mine yet:thumbdown: On the down side of this gauge it does look pretty plasticy but the function of it is supposed to be pretty good.

Gauges I have are as follows:
TRD Boost gauge
AFR gauge as in link
Autometer oil pressure

I also have an oil temp gauge for sale right now. http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=46878

Only reason I'm not using that one is because the gauge face is black and went will all white gauges. :stupid:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to increase your fuel pressure confidence or just as a recommendation in general upgrade to the walbro 255 fuel pump, urd has a kit for our trucks. An added bonus too is a serviceable fuel filt with the wally

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
With the power you make, you don't need to worry about doing anything to the fuel lines. Only IF, I say IF, you decided that for some reason you wanted to add in an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, woul you have to mess with them.

I had an innovate gauge before. Has a lot of cool features, and from what i have seen, it can read both higher and lower AFRs than other gauges. However, you have to recalibrate it every now and then. Not a big deal, but a process. I also had the sensors go bad a few times. The sensors, to be clear are bosch and uses by many companies, not innovate's. However, something with the way the system works has to have been the reason that kept happening. My gauge was also a different style from the one listed in the link. That one might be a better design.

I have seen and used the AEM gauge as well. Two wires, and self calibrating. In my experience only, the sensors with them have lasted much longer and with less issue as well. Others may have different experiences. :top:

Being as your truck seems to be quite modified already, I have a feeling that you may already have the fuel pump upgraded. Post more so that you can post up some pics. Also, the easiest way to find out is to look in the tank.

itsdesignateddave

Reaction score
At this point I know the fuel pump has not been upgraded as I located the previous owner (a former forum member himself) and he actually bought one but never installed it. I am not 100% sure, but i'm guessing the the injectors haven't been upgraded either. Obviously it's still a work in process, but I want it to be reliable first, as it is a Toyota after all...

SooRunner

Reaction score
I suggest you address the fueling issue...its just a timing bomb ready to explode otherwise.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
At this point I know the fuel pump has not been upgraded as I located the previous owner (a former forum member himself) and he actually bought one but never installed it. I am not 100% sure, but i'm guessing the the injectors haven't been upgraded either. Obviously it's still a work in process, but I want it to be reliable first, as it is a Toyota after all...

stock TRD inj, that come with the kit are good for one pulley upgrade, (2.8 upper or NST O/D pulley lower), full intake and exhaust....that's with the upgraded fuel pump and STOCK fuel pressure...but you WILL want a wideband to make sure you dont have a bad "reflash" or possible fueling issue...

If you are rocking the stock fuel pump, you ARE leaning out...so i would strongly recommend that and a wide band.

I have used the innovative solution gauge and the sensor crapped out in about 5k miles...:thumbdown: It take a masters in electrical to install...so many fawking wires..

AEM Uego has already out lived it and took about 5 minutes to wire up. :top: But like Torspd mentioned, the innovative does read a "wider band"...though the region it can read past, you wouldn't want your truck running to begin with...:thumbdown:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
with your mods listed, get a fuel pump ASAP!!! Followed by a wideband, I also have the innovate and have been a poser with it sitting in my pod for almost a year.....not looking forward to hooking it up

Top Bottom