Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Would you let a 17 year old drag race his x?

Would you let a 17 year old drag race

• Total voters

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Drag racing puts alot of strain and stress on your truck.

If you can pay to have new tires, transmission repairs, and a new clutch after you break toyota's cheap little thing they have in there, then I vote go for it.

Don't play the game if you can't pay for it :top:

rich017

Reaction score
as long as you can convince them that you will be at a legal and sanctioned track, then of course.

I think a lot of parents, being that they are old and wise, seem to forget that what they see in movies isn't what it seems. IM sure they believe that you'll somehow grow up to be some drug dealer driving old school muscle cars and getting mixed in with the FBI.

But seriously, if they've never been to a track or know that there is a proper way to run your vehicle, then its time that you show them. They will also find out that it will be a good night/day out.

You guys can eat dinner out there! Burgers and Hot-dogs for everyone!!!

Very true. My parents like most have the idea that it's dangerous and your gonna wreck. I just raced even though they said not too and when they started seeing the #'s on my truck and how the truck was fine and once I explained it all to them they were fine

akxr79

Reaction score
coming from a 18 year old. tell them you'll pay, if you have a job? Take em out, show em you can do some nice downshifts and shifting work, i dunno, whatever can impress them. Maybe they'll be impressed and understand what all the fuss is about. just a thought. if they got any hobbies try and compare your car obsession with one of their hobbies.

BlackCat

Reaction score
How many months before your 18th birthday ? Make it your birthday treat to yourself - a trip to the drag strip :top:

Red_Hott

Reaction score
i always thought seat time was the best way to learn.....i learned on the streets which meant running from the cops, breaking traffic laws, etc. ......on the track there is alot less to worry about and alot less pressure on you.......i say if you can handle the costs of drag racing go for it

8WOOD

Reaction score
You are going to be racing that thing eventually--on the street or track. Give a 17 year old any car and he's going to be racing it at some point. So you might as well learn how to do it on the track, that way you can screw up there first.

yzf6jb

Reaction score
I would But.... not without going and making sure he knows and understands the risks involved. Not just the Human risk, but the cost of repair if/when something breaks. just my .02

X-Pablo

Reaction score
Yes, once he/she learned how to run properly and NOT on the street only on the track.

Simplex Effect

Reaction score
Instead of arguing with your parents (thats if you are arguing), bring out all the good reasons as to why its better for you to race on a drag strip instead of the street.

No Tickets
Legal
Great People Involved
Fun Time & could be a lifetime love

There are plenty of reasons, I got 2 tickets before I was 18 and my g-parents told me to speed on a track instead of the street. So I did and it has paid off for me in the long run.

rios

Reaction score
Thanks for all the votes everyone!
the whole learned how to run properly/proper training choice only has one flaw.
in Az, we dont have any places that teach how to drag race, or none that i have found.
so how would i get track experience, if i can only race on the track?

mpower

Reaction score
kids gotta learn firsh unless hes been around motorsports for a while already

sirspiroc

Reaction score
Maybe explain to them that its a safer more controlled environment, show them that you are gonna be responsible on the street, and that you will take responsibility for anything that happens on the track.

Make it a family event, there are tons of family's around here (we are a bunch of rednecks though) that go to the track together, as opposed to something lame like "board game night."

Oh and I dont think age should be a deciding factor, it should be based on the maturity of the person in question i.e. YOU

There are plenty of "adults" that dont belong at the track
you just convinced me....you seem mature enough. give it a shot present it the way you just did..good luck:top:

nine9six

Reaction score
Drag racing puts alot of strain and stress on your truck.

If you can pay to have new tires, transmission repairs, and a new clutch after you break toyota's cheap little thing they have in there, then I vote go for it.

Don't play the game if you can't pay for it :top:

This. :top:

zrgray

Reaction score
If the kid bought the truck with his money and pays for all the maintenance and every other aspect of the trucks operation, then sure. Personally, I would be greatful to be driving a vehicle as nice as an x runner at age 17 and wouldn't argue with it. I'm sure I speak for alot of people when I say that at that age we were driving around in 1,500 dollar pos cars.

nine9six

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear of kids getting XRs in high school. WTF!? lol

It'd be one thing if they bought the car. But any kid who can afford an XR in high school isn't focusing enough on school, IMO.

My first car was a '78 Camaro Z/28 that I bought, and my dad and I restored. Sure he put more $ into it than I could have afford to have done. But I worked my ass off on it every chance I got. I can't complain, but DAMN! 16, 17, or 18 driving a XR? Lucky SOB!

Top Bottom