Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: LED bed lighting

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Tools:
10mm socket
t30 torx bit
wire strippers
wire crimpers
soldering equipment & heat shrink
basic hand tools

Parts:
Hood pin switch
30455625.jpg

horn relay
r-40at.jpg

12v LED strips I would recommend measuring and getting 2 long ones and a medium one so you only have to deal with three sets of wires.(I did three short ones (about 1 ft) on each side and 2 short ones on the front)
images

Wiring diagram:
truckbedwiring.jpg

Instructions:
You have to take the taillight out (two 10mm bolts) and then you will have access to drill the hole and install the switch and wires etc...

Run a 12v power wire from the front of the truck to the back. (you may be able to tap some other harness back there but i already had a 4 wire cable run back there, so i just used that.)

You can see my cable that comes up from the front (thicker one) The thinner cable goes to the relay. Dont mind the white wire its just spare from the cable.
2012-01-28105245.jpg

Install the pin switch so that the tailgate will activate it.
2012-01-28083852.jpg

from this angle(taken from the drivers side facing the passenger side) you can see the back of the switch protruding into cavity behind the taillight
2012-01-28105238.jpg

I superglued the LED strips to the underside of the bed cleat rails
2012-01-28094110.jpg

Wire the LED strips together in parallel, run the main leads into the center open cubby hole then in to the relay controlled by the pin switch. This cubby is held in by double sided tape and it kinda clips in. (you can see some of the tape sticking out)
2012-01-28094207.jpg

You can run the wires from cubby hole to cubby hole in between the fender skin and the bed side, there is plenty of room to fit your arm in there. I installed the relay in the locking cubby. The locking cubby is held in by six T30 torx bolts that are kinda long and very fine threads.

You can see the black wire, thats my ground and it attaches to a bolt that you can access from behind the cubby hole cavity
2012-01-28105505.jpg

Relay mounted
2012-01-28083908.jpg

DONE
2012-01-17174348.jpg

This is supposed to be a video of the lights switching on and off when I open the tailgate but i dont know if it will work
http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g230/revobreaker/?action=view&current=bedlights.mp4

Notes:
You could aslo install an overide switch to turn it of if hauling with the tailgate down. (I can simulate this buy just disconnecting at the relay) . OR instead of using the pin switch and relay, You could just install a maunal switch if desired.

I think that is all. If there are any questions I will try to clarify things

CBRBob

Reaction score
Very nice, but since LEDs draw so little, you dont even need the relay. Relays are for when the switch cant handle the load. I doubt you are drawing 2-3 amps across the switch. So to simplyfy the install, just use the switch.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
True but in my case the switch is also a trigger for my alarm so I wanted to keep it isolated from the leds.

And I have no idea what pin switches ar typically rated at but the circuit is probably drawing less then 1A and it would probably be fine

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
im gonna go a bit different route with this... im going to use one long led flexible strip to do the whole bed. its gonna be super bright about 600 LEDs

will only be one wire connection. the only part im un sure of so far is if it will bend around the corners ok. we shall see

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
what im going to use, if need be you can cut these every three leds and re connect them but not real sure how well that will turn out. will try to make them bend around the corners first before i go that route.

Attachments

• leds.jpg
    leds.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 593

Workman3886

Reaction score
Well done man, LED's are the wave of the future, easy to work with and hardly any draw! This is something I may have to look into!

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
question... if i dont use a relay i would need a two wire pin switch correct?

CBRBob

Reaction score
You dont need a pin switch or a relay. You need A switch. If you just have a pin switch, the lights will be on all the time if the gate is down. Just put a switch in the left side cubbyhole.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
^ what he said, add a maunal switch to so you can turn them off IF you need to.

Id like you to post up your pics here once you get everything done. Im curious to see how you mount them around the corners...

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
i dont haul anything with the tailgate down...and even if i did its not going to hurt them to be on for awhile. they are made to be on for hours at a time

or i could put tape on the switch if it was really a big deal or a super long trip.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
it wont hurt the LEDs but other motorist and especially cops wont like the white light coming from the back of a vehicle

but its your choice

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure white light on the back of a vehicle moving forward would be frowned upon (mimics reverse lights):dontknow:

I know red lights on the front a vehicle moving forward can get you pulled over here

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
white under body has never gotten me in trouble here, everywhere is different though

green got me in tons of trouble though

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
does anyone off hand know a constant 12v source in the rear i can tap into ?

Top Bottom