Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: RS Type Hood Struts Install

RedXr

Reaction score
So maybe we can get a group buy together? Not sure if he'd be interested, but I am willing and looks like others are as well...:dontknow::top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
On a more functional note, they appear to be more of a low profile which means they won't be in the way when working from the side like the redline ones.

Looks like it opens the hood really wide, its not too much is it? Can't really tell how the hinges are by the pics.

WOA... i like these alot!!!

if this guy came on the forum.. ID CONVERT!!!

I think I would as well.

Hmmm.. used redline hood struts for sale??

BadAzzXrunR

Reaction score
The brackets are notched in such a fashion that they bolt right onto your stock hood bolts. The lower attachment bolts onto on of the pre-tapped factory fender holes. Seriously took like 10 minutes total. When you release the hood all you have to do is lift it about 6 inches and the shocks take over and smoothly glide your hood open:top::top::top:

Tapp

Reaction score
On a more functional note, they appear to be more of a low profile which means they won't be in the way when working from the side like the redline ones.

Looks like it opens the hood really wide, its not too much is it? Can't really tell how the hinges are by the pics.

I think I would as well.

Hmmm.. used redline hood struts for sale??

hey hey...:motz: i have used hood struts for sale..lol

xrun09blueNY

Reaction score
i got me the redline in NEVER try to put..but this look much easy to install...GREAT ...:top:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
So maybe we can get a group buy together? Not sure if he'd be interested, but I am willing and looks like others are as well...:dontknow::top:

I've already spoken with him on the phone the other night. He'd be down for a gb for $60 but I told him thart he'd have to clear it with Klint since he's not a vendor. He IS a member but wasn't very active when he first joined but said he'll try to get on more. It's a new business venture for him so please allow him some time but his eBay link is still your best access :top:

They open the hood all the way. I dunno about the redlines, but these dampers are pretty strong so you may have to guide your hood open intially. but yes, from looking at the pics of the redlines, these are so much more functional if you need to work under the hood.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
They open the hood all the way. I dunno about the redlines, but these dampers are pretty strong so you may have to guide your hood open intially. but yes, from looking at the pics of the redlines, these are so much more functional if you need to work under the hood.

can you explain that to me, Im not sure exactly what you mean

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
can you explain that to me, Im not sure exactly what you mean

the dampers are still pretty strong so when I open the hood and they start to take over to raise the rest of the way, they do it pretty fast. I'll try to get a vid of it soon when I can

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
ok i get it, but after they "break in" they should be fine?

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
im buying them right now because it says on the page that on the next listing there will be a price increase :crinklehair:

just bought em bitches

ThePurge

Reaction score
I would be in for a group buy.
If it ever happens let me know.

xrunish

Reaction score
this is an amazing set... really affordable i personally got to meet mike (the seller) when i went on vacation in california really really cool person...

Emanon

Reaction score
Now those are hood struts I would install! I will have to pick up a pair.

Edit: Bought a pair. Now Iceman and Werty will finally stop picking on me for not having hood struts.

Last edited:

dwntwnall4u

Reaction score
So I went ahead and gave these a shot: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/toyo...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Review:

Pros: At $65 with free shipping, they are cheaper than the Redline brand ($69.95 plus shipping). They use factory bolt locations that require no rivoting making it easily reversible. The guy who sells them used his own X to test fit and make them which is good because we know we're not dealing with just any guy selling generic struts. He also provides great customer service over the phone if needed. I found out this as I was concerned when the dampers first did not compress by hand but he walked me through it. They are injected with nitrogen gas and have to be "broken in" initially. He recommended the same method he used which was putting them under his office chair then lowered his weight on the chair to get them to compress. Once that issue was addressed, the overall install took about 20 mins.

Of course I asked him about XRU and whether he knew about it. He said he joined a long time ago but was never much active. Hopefully this gets hims more active :laugh:

Cons: None really so far, I will update this post if I run into any. He did advise me, with these being heavy duty dampers, to guide the hood open as it raises itself. And although it works great, the top bolt should have been black like the rest of the parts instead of gold, but that's just my OCD kicking in :rolleyez::laugh:

Install:

Step 1: Locate upper and lower factory bolt locations to be removed and replaced:

Upper: (1st bolt out of the 2 that attach hood to the truck) 12mm
1-31-10011.jpg

Lower: (bolt near rubber piece) 10mm
1-31-10013.jpg

Step 2: Verify and attach parts (12mm socket) to upper bolt location
1-31-10009.jpg

1-31-10014.jpg

Step 3: Verify and attach parts (10mm long socket) to lower bolt location
1-31-10012.jpg

1-31-10016.jpg

Step 3: Attach dampers. Quick tips: be sure to remove safety clips and re-attach after dampers have been placed on. At first, the dampers are too long to be simply attached to both top and bottom locations. I attached the upper mount first, then raised the hood slightly by hand and attached the lower mount.

Upper Mount:
1-31-10006.jpg

Lower mount:
1-31-10007.jpg

Completed Install: :top:
1-31-10008.jpg
I just installed my new RS type Hood struts and love them.

Jay, on your RS brackets mounted on the hood, I think you have them on incorrectly, label should be facing the hood so that they sit flush to the OEM hood bracket. I found the left seems to go on the passenger side and the right goes on the driver side.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
is there a reason you cant use the factory hood bolt instead of the zinc one?

Is the factory one too short?

Last edited:
Top Bottom