Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

~~WTB~~ XR 3rd member, complete

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Title says it all. Looking for a complete 05-08 XR 3rd member. 09-12 will work...though i'd rather not weld another diff...but...we'll see

Only have found one so far, and what they where asking was quite a ways out of my price range...:frown:

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
did you see this thread?
http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=45710

wait. that didnt have complete third members i dont think

Wasnt xroller selling something too?

No i didnt see that thread. Sent him a reply.

X-Roller is selling 3.73's...**** that. I ran 4.11's and hated every minute of it...our trucks don't need shorter final drives, what we need is a tranny with a better gear set for the power band of our motors...

Last edited:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
So is your 3rd member damaged or are you just looking for quick swap?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Completely disintegrated, is more like it.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yeh saw the thread lol.

Was wondering if you could get away with just replacing ring and pinion? Or is there more damage then that?

I have heard these guys recommended before
http://www.ringpinion.com/

And gadget recommends these guys, you can get complete third members geared how you want with optional diffs

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=490_494

maybe outta ur budget but just giving you options

Yah, they are a quite a ways out of my budget. I have tracked down one complete 3rd member, they want a hair over 900, its out of a 2006 XR, shipped to me. :frown:

Your ring and pinion place doesn't even have 3.15's listed as an option. :rolleyez:

I probably could get a way with just replacing the ring and pinion...But, when i spin the ring/diff, its its carrier now, i can here/feel a slight clunk. this leads me to believe the bearing races have been dented. I dont have acsess to an hydraulic press, to reinstall new bearings. Then i need to reset the backlash, once again, that means tracking down all the difffrent thickness spacers, etc...Way too much work.

Im still waiting to here back from a few places, on monday i will have something ordered.

the best i can do is make a complete 3.90

i have ran 4.11 gears before. By far, the most frustrating mod i have ever done... 3,800 RPMS on the freeway, top speed governor kicks it at around 90 actual MPH...:thumbdown:

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I paid $450 shipped for my 3rd member from the place I posted. However, my truck and gear ratio is much more common.

Here is another place to try. You will pay about the same as I did for my third member for just the ring an pinion, but at least you get the correct ratio.

www.aprpower.com Call and talk with Allan. He can get them.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I paid $450 shipped for my 3rd member from the place I posted. However, my truck and gear ratio is much more common.

Here is another place to try. You will pay about the same as I did for my third member for just the ring an pinion, but at least you get the correct ratio.

www.aprpower.com Call and talk with Allan. He can get them.

Yeah i figured it was because you have a much more common rear end ratio. I'll know better on Monday, what option i will go with, though none of them are particularly appealing...The amount of labor involved in rebuilding mine with new ring and pinion, new bearings, seals, and then setting the back lash and such, is going to be a significant PITA.

I'm still leaning toward the completely over priced, but completely 3rd member...but still have two more potential hook ups I'm waiting to hear from.

Top Bottom