Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTF?!?! urd SS install surprise!!!

aloe

Reaction score
well, I went to install my urd ss this morning and come to find out....it already has one:hmmmm2: the stock throws must really suck in this truck:laugh:

well, the ss is one of the originals, black bolts, red washers & the more rounded shifter ball....the nylon bushing is worn! it has a nice gouge that runs almost completely around the outer circumference and it is very loose....about 1/16" maybe more of play.

Oh, the guy who installed it, wow! the shifter cap came right off, the bolts weren't tight, one of the spacers is missing?!?! Toyota Certified Pre-Owned at its best! I doubt there is any oil left in the transmission, lol

if Gadget is lurking today....I'd love to know about why the ball extension was re-worked!

pics to follow when I'm done!

Gadget

Reaction score
Just a part of constant product improvement.

If you have it apart go ahead and install the new extension piece. It will work better.

Gadget

Coupe

Reaction score
And put a new tip bushing on it.

on to the neXt

Reaction score
^^^^ coupe the one I bought from you doesn't have the red washes with it is this ok or not?

aloe

Reaction score
called the dealer....nearest bushing is in Va. So, I have to wait till monday :( also tried to get one of the sleeves but they dont have a part listing for it?!?

I'm still gonna change the transmission fluid....can't wait to see all the metal on the magnetic drain plug....the ball tip has a nice silver paste like substance on it already.

Coupe: I think I have to wait on the shifter mod you have....a/c compressor is 170 + freon & hoses, etc... But, the stock bushing is def. worn and ur modified shifter should be real nice.

Also, I always thought the shifter was a little higher than normal....I should have gone through this truck when I got it!

^^^^ coupe the one I bought from you doesn't have the red washes with it is this ok or not?

Don't worry about the color of the washers....red & blue are used in mass production of bolts & washers...shops have a large supply of both. I think they dictate metric & SAE...i could be wrong though.

Last edited:

on to the neXt

Reaction score
Is it a certain type of washer because I don't have any with my setup

rav-o-nation

Reaction score
Gadget is the any way to get just the new extention piece. My set screws in mine are fubar. And I will have to drill it out to get it off. Please let me know

2006nightrider

Reaction score
called the dealer....nearest bushing is in Va. So, I have to wait till monday :( also tried to get one of the sleeves but they dont have a part listing for it?!?
Just checked with my parts dept to see if we had it in stock...NOPE. So I called our other Toyota store about 20 miles north of me, and they don't have it in stock either:thumbdown:.

If I would of had one, I could of overnighted it to you

aloe

Reaction score
Just checked with my parts dept to see if we had it in stock...NOPE. So I called our other Toyota store about 20 miles north of me, and they don't have it in stock either:thumbdown:.

If I would of had one, I could of overnighted it to you

very cool of you to check:top:

not a biggie....I'll just leave the console off till monday. I kinda want to see if the MT-90 has ANY effect on the 3rd gear grind. tranny fluid looked really good:top:

diff. fluid, eh, not so good...almost black....not sure if it is supposed to look like that?!?!

Is it a certain type of washer because I don't have any with my setup

after i install the new setup I'm giving this one away....you can go to any napa and match the washers :top:

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score

I am not sure where the red washers came from. You have the later design. You should be fine.

benxr

Reaction score
well, I went to install my urd ss this morning and come to find out....it already has one:hmmmm2: the stock throws must really suck in this truck:laugh:

Haha! you're not the only one. URD SS was the first thing I ordered when I got my truck, only to find the same thing you did when I tried to install it. With nothing to compare to, hard to tell without having experienced the suckyness of the stock throw.. So then of course I had to buy a chopped shifter from Coupe.. you won't be disappointed :top:

on to the neXt

Reaction score
So I don't need washes at all? Sorry I'm kind of new to all this and this is ny first mod I'm kind of overly excited about it and dont wanna screw anything up

dbredleader

Reaction score
surprise...

My truck had one installed b4 I bought it as well...

I never took it apart to verify which kit is in there, but I am sure it is shorter throws than stock.

Coupe

Reaction score
So I don't need washes at all? Sorry I'm kind of new to all this and this is ny first mod I'm kind of overly excited about it and dont wanna screw anything up

I went back and looked at Gadget's instructions for the URD SS. There are 4 washers in the kit and in the pics, they are red.

I have put these in a lot of trucks. I have taken them out of a lot of trucks. Some have hex bolts, some have washers, some have socket head cap screws.

Part of this stems from these shifters get bought second hand or third hand some times.

If you want to put the washers in place, they certainly will do no harm.

This is a link to URD's instructions.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/shifter.pdf

aloe

Reaction score

correction: the washers aren't red, they are just rusty, lol. washers won't hurt :)

preliminary report....cold start, stationary.....going through the gears, engage clutch in neutral, release clutch shift to 3rd......grind, ugh!

warming her up now then going for a drive!

Last edited:

Coupe

Reaction score
Thinking about it over lunch, I would use washers with the socket head cap screws. The hex bolts that come with stock and the TRD kit have a washer built into the bolt.

So on to the Next, I would pick up 4 flat washers.

Murderface

Reaction score
My URD ss came with the hex head cap bolts with washers but not the type that u can't take off. I don't know how I'd feel if I ordered a ss only to find out when installing it that the truck already has one:laugh:

And X2 on the Coupe modded shifter arm, it was like getting a short shifter all over again!

aloe

Reaction score
update: still grinds in 3rd, ugh :(

but....no more posi chatter!!!! as smooth as butter! so, not a complete waste of the afternoon!

Top Bottom