Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTH is going on!?!?!

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
So first things first, i was a gymkhana yesterday. I was just doing figure 8's, practicing and giving rides. I did two back to back runs, and after i went and parked her and let her cool down. Definitely got a little warm, the I/C was hot to the touch, so i let her cool down for a half hour. I got back in and did one run, i finish the run, and pull up to the pits, and my truck is idling like it had race cams or a horrid misfire...Stumbling and what sounded like a misfire. AFR gauge was saying about 17.0...:hmmmm2:

So someone brought up that a coil pack might have taken a shit, so we switched coil packs and plugs. Same thing, barely idle, and running really lean. Then we figured possibly a vacuum leak, and he told me to rev it and should run really rich. I revved to 4k, and as it was dropping down, it went into a fast idle and started making the most horrendous sound ever. We shut it off, checked a few things and fired it back up, same thing horrid sound and only pulling 7" of vaccum, but it was at-least idling. I drove it maybe 15' to the tow truck, and another 20' from the tow truck to driveway at home.

So i called a tow truck and got towed home. it sounded a lot valve train, like a collapsed spring or lifter. a bunch of guys where saying valve train, and the sound was 100% coming from the divers side bank. So i went home and popped that valve cover off, i turned the motor over by hand and inspected everything, nothing looked ****ed up visibly wrong. No scoring on the cam lobes, or valve buckets. (i think that's what they are called) Next we did a compression check to see if we could find the dead cylinder. 175psi in all cylinders, on both banks...:dontknow:

after that we where completely at a lost, so we put it all back together. Another friend came over and i wanted to show him the sound, and he suggested using a piece of tubing to help pin point where the sound was coming from. So we buttoned her all back up and went to fire her up. pay close attention to when the engine dies after the first clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2LvSzrhMRE&feature=channel_video_title

These are the first two attempts, disregard spark plug comment. Earlier, one of the plugs was dropped by a friend and bent the ground in, we where thinking failed wrist pin, and that's what bent the plug. re gaped it and put her back in. We did pull all the plugs on that bank, all looked fine and were hot to the touch. So they where firing, who knows how good...:rolleyez: We put them back in, and went for one more attempt at running and finding the sound before we called it a night. I was also working on 5 hours of sleep, hence the comments that I made, made little to no sense...:laugh:

So here the final third attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlPdffhoMo&feature=relmfu

listen to the beginning...you here the sound, then it disappears. :hmmmm2: We let it idle to OP temp. Warmed up fine. we figured, it will come back under load. So i backed her up and drive up the street. No knock or missfire, drives fine. Pulling 21"s of vacuum. I drive back down, still fine. we do a few up hill partial throttle and see if we could find any hiccup's, nothing.... So my buddy is in the car, and we say F-it. Lets see what forced induction does. I nailed it trough 1-3rd, on this expressway. 8lbs of boost and my ass dyno was saying running perfect. I drive back around the block, and park and let her idle. Still sounds fine.

So of course, i had school today and i figured, ah WTH, so i drove her to school. She felt ok on the freeway, only thing is a slight tapping, sounds like and exhaust leak or a loose clearance in valve train. Like a little quieter then sound a SBC would make if you where doing a running valve adj on it. The tapping came in "waves" like it would tap a bit and then die down, then would come back. Listen for it during middle of the video and the ending. This was after driving 20 miles to school. Of cousre to realize our instructor never showed up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8u2-hp5IQ

i drove home and much of the same. feels fine and only thing is a slight tapping. Its been sitting for 8 hours, (along with me sleeping for 8 more hours:rockon:), and im about to go run a few more test, see if i can pin point the tapping sound. Now that the engine had cooled down, ill see what else i can find.

Yah so, does anyone have the slightest idea WTH is going on with my truck!?!?!!:hmmmm2: I will post my findings regarding the new noise. :top:

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
Didn't slywhitty blow his motor from doing doughnuts??

Venomous_X

Reaction score
All my damage was on the bottom end, no scoring of the valve buckets, no pitting/etching of any kind. I had a catastrophic failure on cylinder 3 and the shortblock was fried. I'll have to see if I can find all the paperwork on my block, but Toyota tried to fight me hard at every turn before buying a new shortblock. Something tells me zip ties and electrical tape won't fix that sir.... :laugh:

Gators Taco

<a . href="http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/sho
Reaction score
I wish Slywhitty would post some pic of the new oil pan he install

X-roller

Reaction score
to be honest if it's running fine now. I would not worry about it because you are gonna try to figure out a problem that there is no problem too right now. The valves sound fine to me in that last video... Mine are a bit louder than yours and I don't even sweat it... I over revved my motor twice already and I know for a fact I need a valve adjustment but that's about it.... these motors are pretty damn strong :laugh: I over revved it once while I was boosted. I shifted from the top of third to 2nd.... pretty knarly and it still runs fine though... My valves are a little louder than yours but nothing that I would worry about man. If it feels and runs fine then it's probably just you thinking that you hear stuff now...

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Didn't slywhitty blow his motor from doing doughnuts??

Alot of guys blow their motors form doing donuts. Bouncing the rev limter and doing j hooks...not even real donuts. :laugh: Worth noting, i DID not over rev my engine and did not hit rev limiter once. There might be some video of my truck at the track, should be able to hear the sound better...:top:

All my damage was on the bottom end, no scoring of the valve buckets, no pitting/etching of any kind. I had a catastrophic failure on cylinder 3 and the shortblock was fried. I'll have to see if I can find all the paperwork on my block, but Toyota tried to fight me hard at every turn before buying a new shortblock. Something tells me zip ties and electrical tape won't fix that sir.... :laugh:

What was your compression like?

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Thats another thing I will have to check up in the paperwork. When I find out, I'll let you know bud.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
to be honest if it's running fine now. I would not worry about it because you are gonna try to figure out a problem that there is no problem too right now. The valves sound fine to me in that last video... Mine are a bit louder than yours and I don't even sweat it... I over revved my motor twice already and I know for a fact I need a valve adjustment but that's about it.... these motors are pretty damn strong :laugh: I over revved it once while I was boosted. I shifted from the top of third to 2nd.... pretty knarly and it still runs fine though... My valves are a little louder than yours but nothing that I would worry about man. If it feels and runs fine then it's probably just you thinking that you hear stuff now...

Dude....the sound coming from my truck originally (at the track) was a quite a bit louder then normal valve train chatter. I'll see if i can track down a video of it. For now, pay close attention to the ending of the fist vid, first clip, right as the engine is dieing.

And update, i used an automotive stethoscope, and the driver side bank, either the middle cylinder or rear-most, there is a distinctive clicking, more so then passenger side. I would think its exhaust valve, you can hear it better, under the truck and by the wheel well. I checked for exhaust leaks, none noticeable. prettly much held my hand near my header and y pipe, i can feel the exhaust gases escaping, worked pretty good at tracking down leaks on my truck and friends cars. Though, this sound does not sound like an exhaust leak, more metallic sounding.:hmmmm2:

While i have the stethoscope, any of you more experienced 1gr guys out, have any spots i should listen to in specific or test i should run?

INB4 VSV on plenum, i disconnected that, no difference. :top:

Thats another thing I will have to check up in the paperwork. When I find out, I'll let you know bud.

Thank you sir:top:

I'll go hunt down some more electrical tape and zip ties, and await your answer. :rofl:

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
First off never yank the plugs with a hot engine cause u can tear out the threads in the head. All that metal expands when hot and because aluminum expands more then steel(aluminum heads/steel spark plugs), the threads on the head are now wider then if they were cold. This will cause u to rip out the aluminum threads in the head which would suck donkey ballz.

Gadget

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the spark plug that was damaged.

Was it damaged prior to installation or after it was in the engine.

Was the cylinder it was in the same one as you are hearing the noise in now?

IF so, you need to crank that piston to the bottom of its stroke and have a look inside that cylinder with a bore scope and use one that can look backward at the cylinder head. You may find something in there that should not be in there...

G

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I wasn't doing j hooks or bouncing the limiter when mine blew. Just lots of sideways action in an empty lot. Yours doesn't sound like mine did though. Mine sounded like a Tommy gun lol. How much oil is in your truck? I'm sure you've checked. Have you topped up or anything since the event you were at. I know dumb question but no one has asked. Mine was a hair low when it happened and I believe that's all it took. Check it daily now lol. Along with a 4x4 oil pan, oil cooler, and all supporting oil gauges lol. Not gonna let it happen again. Lol

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Yes Toyota gave Donny one hell of a time before the paid for the new shortblock. Donny's motor sounded like ass when i heard it. But i stuck behind Donny as much as possible through the whole deal and they took care of my man.

Donny i dont recall tht you will have the compression measurements on your paperwork unless they had told yopu and you wrote it all down.

I wasn't doing j hooks or bouncing the limiter when mine blew. Just lots of sideways action in an empty lot. Yours doesn't sound like mine did though. Mine sounded like a Tommy gun lol. How much oil is in your truck? I'm sure you've checked. Have you topped up or anything since the event you were at. I know dumb question but no one has asked. Mine was a hair low when it happened and I believe that's all it took. Check it daily now lol. Along with a 4x4 oil pan, oil cooler, and all supporting oil gauges lol. Not gonna let it happen again. Lol
Yes i can understand motors blowing on oil starvation on donuts and such but the manufacturer helps work out stuff sometimes and just pay for it to make the customer happy but they will give them a hard time before they willing to pay. Donuts and J-hooks is not normal driving that careless op just being honest.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I would like to know more about the spark plug that was damaged.

Was it damaged prior to installation or after it was in the engine.

Was the cylinder it was in the same one as you are hearing the noise in now?

IF so, you need to crank that piston to the bottom of its stroke and have a look inside that cylinder with a bore scope and use one that can look backward at the cylinder head. You may find something in there that should not be in there...

G

This is exactly what my friend said...that what ever was in there, worked its way out last night...and the plug, if I recall correctly it did come out of the cylinder where the noise was coming from...or at least that side of the engine. I was exhausted last night...I know...not helping...

And I need to hunt down a bora scope do better inspect them. Also, considering the damage inflected on that plug, a new set would be wise? No?

I just drop e my truck to get gas and groceries, still feels and sounds fine, but the light ticking is still evident.

And my oil was topped off with exactly 5 quarts. Checked it the day before the event, R.C.H over the full mark.

butters607

Reaction score
So first things first, i was a gymkhana yesterday. I was just doing figure 8's, practicing and giving rides. I did two back to back runs, and after i went and parked her and let her cool down. Definitely got a little warm, the I/C was hot to the touch, so i let her cool down for a half hour. I got back in and did one run, i finish the run, and pull up to the pits, and my truck is idling like it had race cams or a horrid misfire...Stumbling and what sounded like a misfire. AFR gauge was saying about 17.0...:hmmmm2:

So someone brought up that a coil pack might have taken a shit, so we switched coil packs and plugs. Same thing, barely idle, and running really lean. Then we figured possibly a vacuum leak, and he told me to rev it and should run really rich. I revved to 4k, and as it was dropping down, it went into a fast idle and started making the most horrendous sound ever. We shut it off, checked a few things and fired it back up, same thing horrid sound and only pulling 7" of vaccum, but it was at-least idling. I drove it maybe 15' to the tow truck, and another 20' from the tow truck to driveway at home.

So i called a tow truck and got towed home. it sounded a lot valve train, like a collapsed spring or lifter. a bunch of guys where saying valve train, and the sound was 100% coming from the divers side bank. So i went home and popped that valve cover off, i turned the motor over by hand and inspected everything, nothing looked ****ed up visibly wrong. No scoring on the cam lobes, or valve buckets. (i think that's what they are called) Next we did a compression check to see if we could find the dead cylinder. 175psi in all cylinders, on both banks...:dontknow:

after that we where completely at a lost, so we put it all back together. Another friend came over and i wanted to show him the sound, and he suggested using a piece of tubing to help pin point where the sound was coming from. So we buttoned her all back up and went to fire her up. pay close attention to when the engine dies after the first clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2LvSzrhMRE&feature=channel_video_title

These are the first two attempts, disregard spark plug comment. Earlier, one of the plugs was dropped by a friend and bent the ground in, we where thinking failed wrist pin, and that's what bent the plug. re gaped it and put her back in. We did pull all the plugs on that bank, all looked fine and were hot to the touch. So they where firing, who knows how good...:rolleyez: We put them back in, and went for one more attempt at running and finding the sound before we called it a night. I was also working on 5 hours of sleep, hence the comments that I made, made little to no sense...:laugh:

So here the final third attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlPdffhoMo&feature=relmfu

listen to the beginning...you here the sound, then it disappears. :hmmmm2: We let it idle to OP temp. Warmed up fine. we figured, it will come back under load. So i backed her up and drive up the street. No knock or missfire, drives fine. Pulling 21"s of vacuum. I drive back down, still fine. we do a few up hill partial throttle and see if we could find any hiccup's, nothing.... So my buddy is in the car, and we say F-it. Lets see what forced induction does. I nailed it trough 1-3rd, on this expressway. 8lbs of boost and my ass dyno was saying running perfect. I drive back around the block, and park and let her idle. Still sounds fine.

So of course, i had school today and i figured, ah WTH, so i drove her to school. She felt ok on the freeway, only thing is a slight tapping, sounds like and exhaust leak or a loose clearance in valve train. Like a little quieter then sound a SBC would make if you where doing a running valve adj on it. The tapping came in "waves" like it would tap a bit and then die down, then would come back. Listen for it during middle of the video and the ending. This was after driving 20 miles to school. Of cousre to realize our instructor never showed up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8u2-hp5IQ

i drove home and much of the same. feels fine and only thing is a slight tapping. Its been sitting for 8 hours, (along with me sleeping for 8 more hours:rockon:), and im about to go run a few more test, see if i can pin point the tapping sound. Now that the engine had cooled down, ill see what else i can find.

Yah so, does anyone have the slightest idea WTH is going on with my truck!?!?!!:hmmmm2: I will post my findings regarding the new noise. :top:

That sounds like my injector tick loud as hell.....

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Did the ceramic come off of the electrode on the eamaged plug? With a bore scope you will be able to. If anything was bouncing on the piston top. Check cylinders 4 & 6. Also do a leak down test. On those specifically. Will tell you better than a compression test.

If all is good, get minimum IKH24's. Especially considering hiw your truck is used. If not, get the IKH27's.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Did the ceramic come off of the electrode on the eamaged plug? With a bore scope you will be able to. If anything was bouncing on the piston top. Check cylinders 4 & 6. Also do a leak down test. On those specifically. Will tell you better than a compression test.

If all is good, get minimum IKH24's. Especially considering hiw your truck is used. If not, get the IKH27's.

Hmmm..i didn't notice the ceramic on it...like i said, i pulled the plugs twice, once to switch them over at the track, to try and find the misfire. And a second time while doing the comp check, is when the plug came back with the electrode bent in. :ahhhhh:

I will do a leak down test and see about finding a bore scope to use, at school tomorrow. we couldn't go in shop today, cause we didn't have an instructor...:hmmmm2: Hopefully, he will show up...lol

I am running the 24's might just order another set if all goes ok. :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
I have seen nuts jammed into the piston top or the cylinder head. Stopped rattling, but still not good...

G

ntinhri

Reaction score
toomuchdriftingandthisiswhathappens..........

Top Bottom