Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

XBOX-red ring of DEATH!!!

TRD Street

Reaction score
I'm sending out my 360 today to be repaired. I got the red ring o' death and called Microsoft to complain. Since it is covered under the extended 3 year guarantee there is no cost to me. I just have to wait 3-4 weeks for it to come back.

The "fishy" part of all of this is that 4 of my friends' XBOX's did this pretty much together:
greg-October
bryan-December
chris-January
me-February

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

i_ski

Reaction score
Easy fix it's on youtube it's a huge problem with the xbox's

TacoInvader

Reaction score
Yep, It is definitely a problem with them. Basically the cooling is insufficient causing fractures to form in the solder holding the graphics processor to the motherboard. Thus causing the most common cause of the RROD..

It happened to me too. But I had already voided my warranty. I had pulled mine apart, painted it and put blue led in the front when my initial 1 year warranty was up. This was before they had extended it to 3 years.

I got lucky and found a DIY fix for it. Mine has been working perfectly ever since. :top:

For anyone that was wondering what the inside of a 360 looks like... Here you go. :biggrin:

CIMG0412.jpg

CIMG0410.jpg

emo_X

Reaction score
yeah they login to ur xbox because u have a gamertag and internet and bang they flip the switch on u so u have to send it in they have done it to me 10 time i think there F ing with me

lol jk

Yallrun

Reaction score
I strapped a 80mm PC fan on the top of my 360. It's not gonna happen to me. :top: I got the 360 when it first came out, then the over heating scare hit. I got a ton of spare PC parts. Took a Fan, extended the line into my PC box and strapped the fan on the vent holes in the top of the 360. Never gets hot, prob solved.

Joe_XR

Reaction score
My brother sent his xbox out about 4 times. I'm on my second one but never had problems. Alot of my friends have sent them out.:thumpdown:

Reaction score
I know how you feel, I've sent my 360 in twice so far. I got one of the first 360 when they first came out. Just got it back a couple weeks ago and my friend got his back 2 weeks earlier for the same RRoD. After talking to one of the english speeking techs, I was told that you should plug your 360 directly into the wall and not thru a surge protector since the 360's power brick has it's own surge protector.

TacoInvader

Reaction score
After talking to one of the english speeking techs, I was told that you should plug your 360 directly into the wall and not thru a surge protector since the 360's power brick has it's own surge protector.

That's odd..... I've never heard that before.. Even though the power supply has its own surge protector, I don't see how plugging it into another surge protector would make a difference one way or another.. And besides I'd much rather have to replace the surge protector than the power supply for the 360. :hmmmm2::stupid::dontknow:

emo_X

Reaction score
That's odd..... I've never heard that before.. Even though the power supply has its own surge protector, I don't see how plugging it into another surge protector would make a difference one way or another.. And besides I'd much rather have to replace the surge protector than the power supply for the 360. :hmmmm2::stupid::dontknow:

yeah thats stupid i mean are they going to pay for it if u do and the xbox surg dosen't work and fries it

NO

hrspwr236

Reaction score
I return at least thirty of these a week and that just from my shipping alone, there is usually at least three other people shipping in a given week, ruff estimate of 200 returns a week

Reaction score

They atleast told me that if you run it thru another surge protector that it robs some of the power from the 360 and could cause the cooling fans to not have enough power to keep the system cool. :dontknow:I question it myself, but i was just happy to speak to someone that could speek english. I first kept getting only 1 or 2 red lights and disc read errors that are not covered, meaning that I would have to pay to get it fixed. So I taped up all of the vents and kept over heating it until I got the RRoD so that they would fix it for free.

Troskey

Reaction score
this is my 3rd x360...holla!!

the previous 2 have not lasted longer than 11 months...let's see if this one can last a bit longer!!

Reaction score
this is my 3rd x360...holla!!

the previous 2 have not lasted longer than 11 months...let's see if this one can last a bit longer!!
if I had that problem I would just do away with it...I like gaming but I have a very low tolerance for stuff like that.

MXXN

Reaction score
DUDE!!!!! You cursed me with this post. My Xbox just turned a year old on January and now i got hit with the red ring tonight. Actually it's just the lower left of the circle...

Has microsoft upped the warranty on these to 3 years and will I not qualify unless its a full circle.

Not an online gamer, not really up on the behind the scenes. Just wanna shoot some bad guys after a stihty day at work.

TRD Street

Reaction score
DUDE!!!!! You cursed me with this post. My Xbox just turned a year old on January and now i got hit with the red ring tonight. Actually it's just the lower left of the circle...

Has microsoft upped the warranty on these to 3 years and will I not qualify unless its a full circle.

Not an online gamer, not really up on the behind the scenes. Just wanna shoot some bad guys after a stihty day at work.

MS will warranty the RROD or the power brick if they go within 3 years of MFG date. If you registered it will be easier for you, but they will know date of purchase from serial number. Just call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and they can help you.-SRY I JNXED U:ahhhhh:

MXXN

Reaction score
Thanks I will give them a call. As of now its just the lower right segment thats red and I get an error notice on my screen.

Everything was working well with the unit but I started to get translucent red dots all over the screen when playing games. I thought it was just the new game but tried another and the dots would show up (like a grid) sporadically.

Crappy wet cold weather and no Xbox sucks.

Top Bottom