Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Am i missing something?

Xacto

Reaction score
So when i was at the tire place, i mentioned how wider tires yield more traction via the PHSYICS theorems. Well, turns out, at least in his world, a 275 tire does not have more traction than a 255 tire. Now, correct me if im wrong, but is the guy •XR•XR•XR•XRin bonkers?

rx-runner

Reaction score
dont listen to him, he is nucking futs, if they are the same tire then yea

CBRBob

Reaction score
Well, there are so many factors here........
Sometimes a too wide tire/rim will never generate enough heat in the tire to bring it up to a temp that allows the compound to work.
Sometimes squeezing a too wide tire on a rim that is too narrow won't put as much rubber on the road as a correctly sized wheel/tire combo.
If you have the same weight on lets say correctly sized combos....
a 205 will have more psi on its (smaller) contact patch than lets say a 275 with its wider contact patch. The traction in theory, should be the same. The reason wider wheel/tire combos USUALLY have more traction is that, all else being equal(brand, compound, profile etc.) when pushed harder, it wont overheat where a much narrower tire could, then lose its grip and slide.

Jonathan

Reaction score
it is also important to remember that more street tires require little heat compared to a similar sized track tire. properly fitted, a 275 will grip more than a 255.

Top Bottom