Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grinding 5th gear cont'd

DGXR

Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer and told them my 5th gear would grind from 4th when exceeding 85, I told them I was passing on a country road, and they told me that another x just had this problem. It turned out for the other X to be his clutch. The Tech explained to me that the pressure plate weakened and only when going into 5th in high rpm, would fail to sync and would grind.
Any one else have this problem with their clutch?

SUODRAXAH

Reaction score
Yep. Got the tranny and clutch replaced under warranty. Started with 5th then 2nd did it. Then all the gears did it. Then the clutch went.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Mine has always done it :thumpdown:

Gonna take mine in before my 60k runs out :top:

Figmonkey

Reaction score
mostly my second gear grinds and i have done nothing about it yet, i have only 13k.

Spyder327

Reaction score
mostly my second gear grinds and i have done nothing about it yet, i have only 13k.

Try switching to Redline MT-90, my 2nd gear used to grind, but after i switched out the fluid it never happened again.

DGXR

Reaction score
mine's got about 87,000 miles on it and its an 05. I know what your gonna say. I used it as a company truck to drive back and forth from Mexico to louisiana so i'd say its time to change my clutch. I'm just hoping for somethiing cheaper than $450 for just the assembly itself.

DGXR

Reaction score
Try switching to Redline MT-90, my 2nd gear used to grind, but after i switched out the fluid it never happened again.

I did.
I installed a B&M sts and MT-90 a month ago and still grinds 5th. So I think its either the tranny or clutch and from what that tech told me, I think i should try the clutch. If it still grinds 5th, atleast I know damn sure its the tranny.

Spyder327

Reaction score
I did.
I installed a B&M sts and MT-90 a month ago and still grinds 5th. So I think its either the tranny or clutch and from what that tech told me, I think i should try the clutch. If it still grinds 5th, atleast I know damn sure its the tranny.

I was actually referring to the guy who was only having issues with 2nd gear grinding.

Sounds like your problem is something more with the tranny or clutch like you said.

DGXR

Reaction score
I was actually referring to the guy who was only having issues with 2nd gear grinding.

Gotcha. :top: Just came back from the bar. Not exactly reading things in order correctly right now :beerglass::stoned::beer::stoned::beerglass:

Armond30

Reaction score
my pressure plate just completely FAILED today. 62,000 miles :(. contact surface no longer goes up with the motion of the release fingers. You can see where the connecting hooks have bent for it. THe dealer said a new pressure plate was only 113 bucks, so I am going to pick one up on friday. Hope all goes well.

Armond30

Reaction score
I'll take a pic of it tomorrow after work. hopefully it isn't raining tomorrow (we have a multiple month drought and it starts raining right when I need to tool on cars outside........brilliant)

Top Bottom