Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How do you reinstall shifter assembly easily

Reaction score
I have had my shifter assembly apart probably a total of five times to swap out to the TRD short shifter and I also fill my transmission fluid in through the top instead of crawling under the truck and trying to pump fluid into the filler hole. The major pain I run into every time is trying to get the little white bushing back into it's home in the shift linkage. I've tried removing the entire assembly as in picture 1. I've removed just the shaft assembly like picture 2. I have tried lining it up with my fingers by hand when I take the entire assembly apart, lubing the outside of the bushing and the inside of the linkage with oil, but I always end up having to hit the top of the shifter with a dead-blow hammer or some other impact force to get it back into place. The end result is my bushing starts looking beat up and look like picture 3. Is there an easy way to get this thing back into position that I am just missing?

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 118

Coupe

Reaction score
As Kramer would say:

"You have got to jiggle it"

Reaction score
I have tried that but the more I wiggle it the more the bushing gets ****-eyed compared to where it is supposed to slot in. I have actually used a mirror when I take off the whole assembly to watch as it goes down in place. I assumed it getting in their crooked from wiggling is what is causing the groove to get cut in the bushing and why my original one looks like trash. Maybe the bore on mine is machined at the low end of the tolerance.

justin13703

Reaction score
Go to the dealership and pick up a new one and try that if you haven't already. I got one a while back and it was only a couple bucks. Grease the crap out of it and try to get it on there. They're always pretty tough to get on and off.

Reaction score
I have a new one to put back on my TRD shifter when I get it welded up. The stock one is currently in it. I'm not going to put grease in my transmission but I will coat it with gear oil. I just thought there had to be an easier way that I'm missing.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never had to hit mine with a hammer or excessively grease/lube it. Always been in and out

Is it in neutral when you take it out? Maybe if it is in gear its at a funny angle and it makes it harder to get in:dontknow:

Reverend_d

Reaction score
i have never had to hit mine with a hammer or excessively grease/lube it. Always been in and out

is it in neutral when you take it out? Maybe if it is in gear its at a funny angle and it makes it harder to get in:dontknow:

thats what i was going to say!!!!

Reaction score
I've tried leaving it in neutral and picking 3rd or 4th gear so it won't move around.

Top Bottom