Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jboy's MES (Mobile Entertainment System) Picture Heavy!

jboy671

Reaction score
jboy's M.E.S (Mobile Entertainment System)

Total build time from start to finish is about a whole week. Work a day here and there so physical time took almost three weeks. In between items being shipped and purchased I was prepping or installing. Let me say outright that I used my cellphone camera so some of the pics may not be great quality.

Equipment:

Kenwood DNX5190
Infinity Reference 9623i x 4
Infinity Reference 6020CS tweeters/crossovers x 2
Massive Audio NX5
Infinity Kappa 100.9w
Subwoofer enclosure built by Me
Rear door panel speaker overlays built by Me (first time ever with fiberglass!)

Install:

Kenwood DNX5190 - All options used except BT and IPOD (I am an Android user and proud of it)
Besides the standard wiring install (power, ground, remote, etc.) I wired in the factory rear view camera input and used the reverse signal wire to automatically switch the screen when the truck's in reverse.
19.jpg

Reverse camera test
34.jpg

Infinity Reference 9623i with Infinity Reference 6020CS tweeters/crossovers up front - These are my favorite 6x9's when stock locations (minus the rear door panel) use them. I have had this set since 2008 and they still work and sound new...that's why I prefer Infinity. I use the tweeters/crossovers with the fronts and I set the tweeters on the 6x9 to -3db and it gives it a nice full front stage. This has always worked for me for my sound preferences.
NOTE: The pics of the front 6x9's were taken when I first installed them and ran them off the factory head unit. The wiring is different now (and correct) so don't mind the factory harness going into the 6x9 :) I cut the stock 6x9 and used it as a mounting bracket for my 6x9s. I used the mounting bracket I made for my avenger to hold the tweeters.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Rear 6x9s - First time ever with fiberglass!
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
Infinity Kappa 100.9w
17.jpg

18.jpg

Massive Audio NX5
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.1.jpg

Here's what I look for in amplifiers
22.jpg

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
Small off topic - Here are pictures of the box I built for my avenger using the same technique
build001.jpg

build002.jpg

build003.jpg

build004.jpg

build005.jpg

build007.jpg

build008.jpg

build009.jpg

build010.jpg

And the box I made for my magnum - No interior carpet on this one...the port was tuned low enough and had enough volume to ease the standing waves.
mag1.JPG

mag2.JPG

mag3.JPG

mag4.JPG

mag5.JPG

mag6.JPG

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
Amplifier mounting location
26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

Putting everything in
35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Ported enclosure design
taco_ac-port_design.jpg

Ported enclosure tuned to 32Hz
taco_ac-port1.jpg

taco_ac-port2.jpg

Felt/carpeted interior
taco_ac-port3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
I would love to get a soundclip. Unfortunately I don't have any good enough A/V recording equipment that would capture the subwoofer frequencies enough to do it some kind of justice. Most cellphone and digital camera mics are made to capture frequencies above a certain level (mainly the the frequency of human voices). Most times when these mics record low frequencies at high pressure volumes it usually results in distorted sound or static. :dontknow:

08x

Reaction score
nice set up but what made u decide to run two different kinds of subs in the same enclosure

jboy671

Reaction score
They aren't two different subs. One is a subwoofer and the other is a passive radiator.

I posted a pic of what the radiator looks like so you can see the difference between it and a traditional subwoofer.

Jwall

Reaction score
nice set up but what made u decide to run two different kinds of subs in the same enclosure

I was about to ask the same question i can see different kinds but in the same box? well reguardless lookin good

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Dang its all exposed like that...i dont think that would do to good down here in Miami.

VaBchXRunner

"The Bargain Baron"
Reaction score
Why put the rear speakers on the outside door panel? Why not put them in the stock location with some mdf?

justin13703

Reaction score
Why put the rear speakers on the outside door panel? Why not put them in the stock location with some mdf?
Im sure he did that because the stock ones are in the ceiling and this way will sound alot better.

Ive never seen a radiator like that before, in fact I never even knew they existed. Its pretty cool, Id like to see what kind of difference it makes with and without it in the same setup. Judging from what I read about it, it would do more in a sealed box. Yours is sealed right?

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
I was about to ask the same question i can see different kinds but in the same box? well reguardless lookin good

Two different brands but still one subwoofer in the box. The other is a passive radiator. Just like my response to the first question...I posted a pic of the radiator so you can compare it to a traditional subwoofer. It is not a subwoofer in any way.

Why put the rear speakers on the outside door panel? Why not put them in the stock location with some mdf? jboy: Because these 6x9s have a huge magnet and basket than most 6x9s. Even if I wanted to use the stock location it would require mdf, fiberglassing the entire upper rear door panel and after it's all said and done I can't revert to my stock panels unless I buy another set. Believe it or not my overlays allow the 6x9s in the rear to achieve much fuller midbass by being isolated (there is polyfill behind them with a weather proof seal around the edges) and there is no tinny resonance from the soundwaves hitting the metal of the door panel.
Im sure he did that because the stock ones are in the ceiling and this way will sound alot better.

Ive never seen a radiator like that before, in fact I never even knew they existed. Its pretty cool, Id like to see what kind of difference it makes with and without it in the same setup. Judging from what I read about it, it would do more in a sealed box. Yours is sealed right?

Correct on both.

I placed the 6x9s as low as possible to keep the distance from the listeners ears as even as possible. This is why kickpods and other fiberglass doors locate the speakers down bottom. It all relates to staging.

As for the radiator, yes my enclosure is sealed. The radiator acts like a port. The advantage of a passive radiator system is that it allows you to obtain low frequency extension from a small enclosure where space to begin with is at a premium. In other words, if I wanted to make a ported enclosure for the single 10 and tune the port down to 32 Hz it would have been 2x bigger than the radiator box I built. I wanted to keep the entire back area functional for my kids and this was the more logical solution.

For others google passive radiator and even look on youtube. Passive radiators are not new but they are rarely used in mobile audio. I have actually been wanting to do a passive radiator in mobile audio for almost two years but this was the best reason for me to do it now.

Top Bottom