Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Musty smell in HVAC

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. At times my defroster, heat, or AC will create a distinct musty odor. I know the dealership wants to charge an arm and a leg to "disinfect" the HVAC and I'm not giving them any more of my money if I can help it. So, is there a DIY product that will accomplish the same thing? I notice it more now that it's getting colder and I'm using the defroster more often. Any help would be much appreciated :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
Get a can of Lysol.

Start your truck and open the hood.

Set the system on medium fan.

Set it to draw in outside air.

Spray the whole can of Lysol into the ventilation intake at the base of the windshield and as soon as the can runs dry shut the system off.

let it sit for a while.

That should do it.

There is a commercial product from BG products called FridgiFresh that is used the same way. They also have a service where a small hole is drilled into the EVAP assembly inside the vehicle and a can of disinfecting foam is pumped in.

After you do that open the door to the cabin air filter and vacuum out any loose stuff and then remove the filter and vacuum it clean or replace it.

G

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks G. Much appreciated :top:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
So Matt how long did you spend in your local mart today to find the perfect new smell for your truck?

x20Runner05

Reaction score
When we have musty smelling HVAC at the dealer we use the BG frigidfresh for simpleness. BUt for strong odors we use the foam through the HVAC drain under the truck le=t it sit n pull the plug n let it drain out, do that twice n should be good. Also change the cabin air filter that collects leaves and dust funk.

TRD-X

Reaction score
^ Good one Cuz!:laugh::laugh:

08x

Reaction score
actually we have at the dealership a big problem with this smell in camrys for sure it ends up needing a hole new evaporator due to the holes getting cloged up in the evaporator it causes a smell i have the same problem with mine and if it spraying and all cant get away from it then i mite have to get an evaporator put in

alexxwing

Reaction score
ya change the cabin filter i do it every oil change keeps it good!

STONER-X

Reaction score
i got a can of the a/c duct cleaner from the parts store..... i did the intake spray and then i turned the fans off.... and sprayed the rest of the can into each vents.... a year and a half later it is still good....

ALSO!! i found that actually the A/C helps keep fresh...

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a breeze to change. I can't believe naive owners let the dealer change them for $100. The part is $10 and takes a total of 3 minutes to install.

ntinhri

Reaction score
I use the lysol in my 4 runner, sooo much nicer!!! thanks for info

Top Bottom