Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Truck Bed Amp Rack?

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Okay , I'm in the process of designing a sound system for me truck and have considered multiple locations for the amps . One of the locations I'm considering is in the bed of the truck . Of course by the time this happens I will have purchased a hard tonneau and a bed rug to clean the look up . My question is how safe is the bed ? I know that theft is possible regardless of their location ,but what I'm concerned about is water . I live in south Florida where and its very wet here . What precautions would I have to take to protect my amps ? If any? Thanks?

easts1d3

Reaction score
If you are worried about water damage get the alpine pdx marine amps
The pdx series is a great line! Let alone being waterproof for your application

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
BlackXtacy's:

38532914033_large.jpg

38532914039_large.jpg

http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=38435

Derrick (DMC) also had amps in the bed under his tonneau.

lvxr

Reaction score
if you seal the tonneau and the wire-opennings up right, water's not gunna get in there. id say go for it.

nick_gz1

Reaction score
if your worried about water damage build a small platform so it sits off the bed a bit, IF ANY water gets in there it will not be a great deal at all so a small platform to raise it off could be the next step to keeping your mind at ease "in case" water would leak in. If it does.

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
I thought the tonneau covers were already water tight? I'm planning on getting a gaylord cover . I've called and emailed and each time they tried to sell me the OG lid ,which is less expensive . I just worry that less expensive means lower quality ?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
i have the X2000 cover and its NOT water tight... I don't even put my golf clubs in the back if starts to rain... I am sure you could go to extra lengths to make it water tight but the biggest issue is when you open it and there is water on top of the cover... it seems to all rush into the bed... that is the same with my ARE cover as well.... just a thought. if you really wanted to be safe I would do what easts said and get marine amps or build an amp box that will allow heat to escape but tough for water to get in

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to find a creative way to mount three amps in the cab so that they look like they belong there! I'm thinking two in the back and one mounted in the headliner!

Detective_Dan

Reaction score
if you seal the tonneau and the wire-opennings up right, water's not gunna get in there. id say go for it.

Yea but a lot of amps have vent fans as well.

You should be perfectly fine. My buddy in Florida has an s10 filled with subs and amps in the bed

Minnesota X

Reaction score
I put an amp rack in the bed of my last truck. What I did was to build an enclosure for them and then I used a product called Frogzskin for the vent holes. The material is waterproof/breathable so it can breathe, but water wont get into the enclosure. Another option is what I did on my X, which is to hide the amps inside the rear doors. When you pull the rear door panels off there is a large hole in the doors that worked perfect for me.

justin13703

Reaction score
Put them under your seats and forget about them. They're invisible this way too so no crackhead is gonna see em, steal em, and sell em for drug money

Top Bottom