Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2005 X-Runner...my new toy/DD

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
it goes SWB...BSP... then that red color lol

bought some touch up paint today from the dealer...its a pretty good match i was surprised

Low mileage, nice. Welcome to the money pit. What is going to be your first mod?

i think either a gps head unit, bed cover, or tailgate spoiler

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
is there anything i need to know about the 05? specific problems?

Well I'm not sure it's specific to the 05 year but there's a few issues with these trucks that have surfaced over the years.
1) the trans has major issues with grinding at hi rpms into either 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd(I have this problem), and 4th to 5th. U won't have all of those grinds but don't be surprised if u have one of them.
2) Throw Out Bearing squeaks. This is from the shaft that the bearing rides on being aluminum and the bearing being steel. It can ONLY be fixed by buying the TSK45 sleeve kit(TSK stands for Trans Sleeve Kit), it comes with a stainless steel sleeve that slides over the aluminum sleeve and is held in place by (2) set screws, it also comes with a new TO bearing that has a bigger inside diameter to accommodate the bigger shaft.
3) theres an oil leak that can accur from the timing cover(not as common as the trans grind or TO bearing issues
4) rear fender cracks in the steel, it's hidden behind the ground effects
5) leaf springs sqeaks or rattles
6) clutch disc separation from the center hub(if this happens u will be able to shift into gear but ur truck will act like it's in neutral
7) clutch pedal squeak, most noticeable in the summer
8) paint chipping, most noticeable on the rear fender flares
There may be more that I missed or aren't as big an issue like the pass seat rattle or front window rattle when the windows are down some. These all have descriptions of how u can fix them in the appropriate threads.

All of these issues have at least a TSB(Technical Service Bullitan) and if u find any of these now, take the truck in for repairs immediately before they refuse to fix them. U can also look at a more detailed description of all of these in the TSB thread section.

Nice truck welcome to the Underground

:burnout2:

Ha u already posted a welcome about 4-5 posts before this one:laugh:

Last edited:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
FRESH MEAT....welcome aboard man. This is a great forum with tons of info and lots of awesome members.
Now tear into that thing and let the modding begin.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
cool man thanks for the list

i actually havent reved the truck up high enough to check for any grinds....funny enough, i bought a sport truck that i dont drive very sporty. ive got a turbocharged camaro for that :)

i have noticed some random chips on the fender ground effects.

other than that it seems like it was a pretty well taken care of truck. its got less than 8500 miles on it per year and was completly untouched as far as i can tell.

thinking about taking it in soon to have them check for all TSB's and get them taken care of

Murderface

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste ur time having them check for the TSB's. Check out all the issues I listed and then go over ur truck very well and see if u have any of them. If u do, print out o copy of whatever TSB's u have and then take the truck in and slap the pile of copy's onto the service writers desk.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
your probably right on the going over it myself part....dont see the dealer doing anything on their own lol

Murderface

Reaction score
Trust me, they won't do a thing except laugh in ur face. Just don't wait and do it ASAP!!

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
heres a question and example

i saw some airbag tsb's, how can you tell if something like that has been fixed?

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Not positive, but I think Toyota keeps track of service records by VIN. Any dealership may be able to pull the records.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
well started doing some simple mods to get the ball rolling

started off by ordering a set of D-rings for the front of my bed, it had some at the tailgate already. went pretty smooth put them in a few days ago

just ordered an OEM s2000 antenna to modify...that should go pretty smooth as well, ive seen a lot of different ways to do this but i think im going to cut off the old mast. then drill and tap for a new mast. m5x0.8mm appears to be the right size.

also ordered a silicone cover for my keyless entry remote...blue to match

thats all for now...surfing around on ebay, might end up ordering something else who knows

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
well started doing some simple mods to get the ball rolling

started off by ordering a set of D-rings for the front of my bed, it had some at the tailgate already. went pretty smooth put them in a few days ago

just ordered an OEM s2000 antenna to modify...that should go pretty smooth as well, ive seen a lot of different ways to do this but i think im going to cut off the old mast. then drill and tap for a new mast. m5x0.8mm appears to be the right size.

also ordered a silicone cover for my keyless entry remote...blue to match

thats all for now...surfing around on ebay, might end up ordering something else who knows

It starts with simple mods, but it can get out of hand pretty quickly. Keep it up man.

xrgilly

Reaction score
Nice welcome. My first mod was rims then well it just had to sit lower. And then it needed a better drop (in the rear) then it needed to sound and perform better so in came the exhaust and intake and well it needed to shift better lol so I in came the short shifter and well hell it needed a new grill now a lil over a year of ownership I've spent a lot of money lol enjoy the truck. The thing u wil notice most is how ppl stare

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Maybe i must have that .0001% or whatev er of the 05 X's that never had any problems and i have 60,000 miles on her now.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
i probably wont do much to it that isnt for my comfort as this truck is my DD. i have a camaro that gets all the expensive ride altering changes. i may do some bolt on appearance mods and stereo stuff but thatll be about it.

hell i spent today using the x-runner to pull bushes out at my grandmas...

theres a certain point where a car is modded so much its a pain to drive everyday. for instance my camaro. its lowered to 3" of ground clearance, turbocharged, short throw, etc..etc.. i could never drive it everyday again. however, when i do get it out its a freaking blast.

xrgilly

Reaction score
i probably wont do much to it that isnt for my comfort as this truck is my DD. i have a camaro that gets all the expensive ride altering changes. i may do some bolt on appearance mods and stereo stuff but thatll be about it.

hell i spent today using the x-runner to pull bushes out at my grandmas...

theres a certain point where a car is modded so much its a pain to drive everyday. for instance my camaro. its lowered to 3" of ground clearance, turbocharged, short throw, etc..etc.. i could never drive it everyday again. however, when i do get it out its a freaking blast.

i also said (hey this truck looks good as it is i dont need to do anything to it) and hear i am 4 to 5 grand later lol

and its alll because of xru hahaha its a love hate thing

Top Bottom