Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

2012 Stock HU

Shacho

Reaction score
I recently installed an AppRadio (AVh-X1500DVD) in my wife T4R and I most admit, I was really impress with all the features especially the apps interface with an iPhone/Android. With that being said, I am considering changing out my HU in my X-Runner and was wondering what kit and harness (interact with steering wheel functions) would be required. The HU is nice but is limited on features. I'm thinking about getting the AVH-P8400/8500 DD system.

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
If you buy it from crutchfield they give you the dash kit and harness for free. The only other thing you'll need to buy is the steering wheel interface

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
I just installed my avh-2500bt last night and it is sweet. I paid 20$ for the install kit and the wiring harness on eBay. I also picked the radio up off eBay for 250$. I would suggest go ahead and get the parking brake bypass since I never could figure out where splice the parking brake wire at.

justin13703

Reaction score
I just installed my avh-2500bt last night and it is sweet. I paid 20$ for the install kit and the wiring harness on eBay. I also picked the radio up off eBay for 250$. I would suggest go ahead and get the parking brake bypass since I never could figure out where splice the parking brake wire at.

Making a bypass for the pioneers with a relay is easy. If you haven't installed the one you bought yet let me know, I'll tell you exactly what wires to connect to where.

Shacho

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...will definitely look into both options mentioned. How difficult is it to remove the center console ? I looked through the "How to" thread but I couldn't find anything describing how to remove the HU. Once, I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime-in. :rockon:

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
Making a bypass for the pioneers with a relay is easy. If you haven't installed the one you bought yet let me know, I'll tell you exactly what wires to connect to where.

Please do because I couldn't find any thing on it.

And it's all super easy to take apart I think I took my apart 3 times yesterday. But that was cause I kept thinking I was done and kept getting over excited. IMO the 2500bt is bad ass and way worth the money.

justin13703

Reaction score
Please do because I couldn't find any thing on it.

And it's all super easy to take apart I think I took my apart 3 times yesterday. But that was cause I kept thinking I was done and kept getting over excited. IMO the 2500bt is bad ass and way worth the money.

Get a normal 4 or 5 pin relay from somewhere like radio shack. Connect the green e brake wire to pin 30 on relay. Connect the blue/white wire from radio to pin 85 of relay. Jump pins 86 an 87 of relay together, and then to a ground. Essentially ground both pin 86 and 87. And that's it. Sounds confusing but it's really only like 3 connections. And it costs maybe a dollar for the relay.

05xrunnerx

Reaction score
do you happen to have any pics of that? i have no clue what you mean by pins 86 and 87

justin13703

Reaction score
That video explains it pretty well, but Ill try to explain it here as well.

The relay you get will either be stamped with the pin numbers on the relay itself, or have a diagram showing you which pins are which.

Anyway, this is how the pioneer radios work with the bypass, and why you need to use a relay. Basically, as a way to prevent bypassing the radio and allowing you to watch videos and such while driving, pioneer came up with a way to make doing this more complicated. Most radios, kenwoods, alpines, etc, just need to see a ground signal on the e brake wire to let you watch videos. So when properly connected, if the e brake is not pulled, there is no ground signal, so you cannot watch movies. To get around this, just connect the e brake wire to the ground right in the harness, or ground it to the frame of the vehicle. Done. The radio thinks the e brake is on all the time and lets you do whatever you want. Pioneer, on the other hand, needs to see the e brake wire receive ground AFTER the radio is turned on. So just grounding the e brake wire on a pioneer will do nothing, since it sees a ground all the time.

Luckily for us, the blue/white wire on pioneer radios gets power a few thousandths of a second after the radio is turned on. Remember this for later. Heres where the relay comes in. A relay is basically an electrical switch. It has a coil, which when energized throws the switch and connects two pins of the relay. The two pins that get connected together when the relay is energized are 30 and 87. The two coil pins that control the coil to throw the switch are 85 and 86. So, by connecting that blue/white wire to 85 and grounding 86, since the blue/white is a positive polarity, current flows through the coil and throws the switch. Just barely after the radio turns on. Since pins 30 and 87 are now connected, the e brake wire now sees a ground, since the e brake is on 30, and 87 is grounded. The radio now thinks the e brake was pulled AFTER the radio was turned on and lets you watch videos.

When you shut off the radio, the blue/white wire loses power, and the relay clicks off. So that next time you turn the radio on, the same thing happens. Radio comes on, right after that the blue/white wire gets power, which connects pins 30 and 87, the radio sees a ground on the e brake line again, and youre good to go.

Hopefully this makes sense, if you have any other questions just let me know, ive bypassed hundreds of these things just like this with not one single problem. Mine has been bypassed like this for over two years.

Another thing to note. The 5 pin relays will have a pin labeled 87a. Do not use this pin for anything. Leave it disconnected. The only pins that need anything connected to them are 30, 85, 86, and 87.

Last edited:

dramad1

Reaction score
Also some if the newer pioneer radios go even further and you can not bypass them as easily. You would need a double pulse bypass as I have for my avh8400. I'm not sure of the specifics but I know that just using the relay to bypass e brake will not work. Justin can elaborate more on this if he chooses. He helped me a lot with my system.
Gl man.

justin13703

Reaction score
Also some if the newer pioneer radios go even further and you can not bypass them as easily. You would need a double pulse bypass as I have for my avh8400. I'm not sure of the specifics but I know that just using the relay to bypass e brake will not work. Justin can elaborate more on this if he chooses. He helped me a lot with my system.
Gl man.
Ah yeah I remember that now. I cant remember which radios exactly need a double pulse. Freakin pioneer and their safety crap lol. Wont be long before the ones with gps will use the speed signal to block you out, no matter what you do.

Shacho

Reaction score
Double Pulse

dramad1 said:

justin13703 said:
Ah yeah I remember that now. I cant remember which radios exactly need a double pulse. Freakin pioneer and their safety crap lol. Wont be long before the ones with gps will use the speed signal to block you out, no matter what you do.

Just when I thought I had a clear understanding of bypass surgery, freakin double bypass (double pulse) is required for specific pioneer systems. So much for the good ole days, when one could just cut, splice, ground and wrap it up. Technology is a wonderful and exciting part of electronics but it can also be a pain in the rear end.

When time permits, please explain the double pulse and how it works. Pics speaks a thousand words and videos are priceless. I am leaning toward the AVH-P8400/8500 HU.

dramad1

Reaction score
This is what I have in my x for the avh-8400. Got it on eBay a while back for like 10-15$. Easy three wire hookup.

Attachments

• image-4122843118.jpg
    image-4122843118.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 209

Shacho

Reaction score
Ok. That's what I installed on my wife T4R (AVH-X1500DVD). I guess when double pulse was mentioned, it threw me off the path of installation. Is that particular bypass switch considered a double pulse switch?

Shacho

Reaction score
Is there a write up on how to remove the console (2012 stock radio) panel? If so, please point me in that direction. I want to know what I am dealing with before I engage in removing the stock unit. Thanks.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
Is there a write up on how to remove the console (2012 stock radio) panel? If so, please point me in that direction. I want to know what I am dealing with before I engage in removing the stock unit. Thanks.

Remove the a/c control panel it has for tabs one on each corner. A angled pick is easiest to pull that out. Next look up in there. Should see. 4 10mm bolts to remove the head unit. There are two tabs on the radio that snap into the dash too but when you pull the radio out those tabs should Slide out too.

justin13703

Reaction score
^ yep that's pretty much it, it's real easy. The only thing ill add is if you have nylon or plastic panel removal tools, use them to remove the hvac panel. It scratches real easy if you slip. Guess how I know lol. After that I started using a flathead wrapped in electrical tape to pop it out, since I didn't have plastic panel tools back then.

Shacho

Reaction score
Do any of guys know whether or not there is an aftermartet carbon in-dash kit available? I found the black lacquer style.

Top Bottom