Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4 piston calipers vs 6 piston calipers

XrunnIT

Reaction score
What would be the pros and cons to each? Looking to start on my brake project and have to decide if I want to run 6 piston calipers or 4 piston calipers.

Thoughts and advice would be appreciated. :top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can find a 6 with a quality setup and reasonable price, I am down. I need something bigger for my extra weight.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I'm a 6'er

I don't think they make a BBK for the 6 lugs. I know matt has upgraded his rotors and pads. May want to get with him and find out what parts he has.

x20Runner05

Reaction score
I would say go with 6 piston. Alot of ya performance high end cars use 6 piston front and i beleive 4 piston rear. BBK makes a 6 piston for front the X for us ??

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
i don't know much about braking systems but i would think in general more is better.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What about something like this???

Or is the other one the e-brake? That could also be cool for the rear.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I would say go with 6 piston. Alot of ya performance high end cars use 6 piston front and i beleive 4 piston rear. BBK makes a 6 piston for front the X for us ??

There are a few BBKs available for the XR and 5-lug

Front
TRD BBK - 332mm, 4 piston
StopTech BBK - 332mm, 4 piston (same as TRD only with StopTech label instead of TRD)
StopTech BBK - 355mm, 4 piston
Rotora BBK - 330mm, 4 piston
Rotora BBK - 355mm, 6 piston

Rear Conversion
SSBC - 292mm, 1 Piston w/parking brake
SSBC - 292mm, 2 piston w/o parking brake
SSBC - 310mm, 2 piston with parking brake, XR only

i don't know much about braking systems but i would think in general more is better.

I would think so, but I'm unsure.

i_ski

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 6 is better because you get better braking control because you get more even pressure applied to the rotor, especially since generally speaking the pads cover more suface area of the rotor.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
What about something like this???

Or is the other one the e-brake? That could also be cool for the rear.

i know that TRD has a BBK for the FJ Cruiser. the FJ shares the same lug pattern as we do...:biggrin:

I have been thinking about getting a BBK for my truck for a while. I do have 1 question for those who have already done a BBK. have you guys thought about using your stock disk brakes for the rear...? i know it doesn't have the e-brake...but i'm just asking cause i wouldn't have enough right now to buy BBK for both the front/rear...just a though by the way...

BlackCat

Reaction score
Take a look at the following page on Stoptech's website. Some very good info.

As for 6piston vs 4piston... can't really say. More braking torque - possibly, but that's not always a good thing. The whole braking system (including tires) has to be balanced. Anyway, just take a look and see if this info is of any use...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

46&2_X

Reaction score
i know that TRD has a BBK for the FJ Cruiser. the FJ shares the same lug pattern as we do...:biggrin:

I have been thinking about getting a BBK for my truck for a while. I do have 1 question for those who have already done a BBK. have you guys thought about using your stock disk brakes for the rear...? i know it doesn't have the e-brake...but i'm just asking cause i wouldn't have enough right now to buy BBK for both the front/rear...just a though by the way...

You mean a BBK for the rear?

Because I thought TRD made a BBK for the front of the X already?

I think it would be impossible to use the front Rotors on the rear, plus it wouldn't provide any provisions for a E-Brake.

Take a look at the following page on Stoptech's website. Some very good info.

As for 6piston vs 4piston... can't really say. More braking torque - possibly, but that's not always a good thing. The whole braking system (including tires) has to be balanced. Anyway, just take a look and see if this info is of any use...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

I agree.

A 6 piston will add more weight also. It may not even add that much more braking power, because we are still using the same MC.

I thought the main advantage to a 6 piston is simply a larger area for the brake pad to contact.

For some of the supercars that are running 20's and the rotors and brakes fill those completely the 6 pistons makes sense because they need as much bite as possible.

I personally think that a 4 piston with a rotor to fill a 19 would be perfect for what we need. You would have a large braking area, and it wouldn't really be overkill.

On the rear I don't think you would need anything more than a 2 piston. Maybe a small 4 piston.

IMO :biggrin:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
You mean a BBK for the rear?

Because I thought TRD made a BBK for the front of the X already?

I think it would be impossible to use the front Rotors on the rear, plus it wouldn't provide any provisions for a E-Brake.

I have a 4x4 tacoma...:rockon: 6 lug...that's why i was trying to tell Torpsd that TRD makes a BBK for the FJ Cruisers.

yes i know the e-brake provisions aren't used on the front rotors...i was just trying to see if you would be able to use the front rotors on the rear...

why would it be impossible to use the front rotors on the rear...?

trd_sport

Reaction score
^so yeah I just checked and there is a BBK available for the fj cruiser 6lug pattern. Hmmmmm...thats news to me! Now to check and see if they can fit tacoma 6lugs.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
^so yeah I just checked and there is a BBK available for the fj cruiser 6lug pattern. Hmmmmm...thats news to me! Now to check and see if they can fit tacoma 6lugs.

the lug nut pattern is exactly the same matt...:biggrin:

i have actually already checked into it...

but i hate drum brakes...I was just trying to see if the front rotors can be used on the rear...like i said i know the front disk brakes aren't fitted for the e-brake but i wouldn't think its impossible to not use the front disks on the rear...that's atleast until I can afford a BBK for the rear...

46&2_X

Reaction score
I have a 4x4 tacoma...:rockon: 6 lug...that's why i was trying to tell Torpsd that TRD makes a BBK for the FJ Cruisers.

yes i know the e-brake provisions aren't used on the front rotors...i was just trying to see if you would be able to use the front rotors on the rear...

why would it be impossible to use the front rotors on the rear...?

Ahhhh gotcha.

Because of the shape of the rotor and the size.

The way the Rotor mates to the Axle would be entirely different because your talking about IFS vs. a Solid Axle on the rear.

I mean it might be possible, I haven't actually got under there and looked.

But all the front Rotor's I've seen vs. Rear Rotors they are very different.

If you can do it let me know that would be interesting lol.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
Ahhhh gotcha.

Because of the shape of the rotor and the size.

The way the Rotor mates to the Axle would be entirely different because your talking about IFS vs. a Solid Axle on the rear.

I mean it might be possible, I haven't actually got under there and looked.

But all the front Rotor's I've seen vs. Rear Rotors they are very different.

If you can do it let me know that would be interesting lol.

:laugh:...i completely forgot that the fronts IFS and the rear is Solid Axle...

well sounds like i'm going to be looking into this...either way i would/am looking to upgrade both my Front/Rear Rotors...:top:

thanks for clearing things up for me...

Top Bottom