Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4 piston calipers vs 6 piston calipers

Sleeper

Reaction score
I don't think they make a BBK for the 6 lugs. I know matt has upgraded his rotors and pads. May want to get with him and find out what parts he has.
I believe that the FJ cruiser big brake kit is 6 lug.

trd_sport

Reaction score
We really only need them in the front. Just having the slotted rotors and pads upgrade on mine made a differance. We already have larger rotors and calipers to begin with.

46&2_X

Reaction score
:laugh:...i completely forgot that the fronts IFS and the rear is Solid Axle...

well sounds like i'm going to be looking into this...either way i would/am looking to upgrade both my Front/Rear Rotors...:top:

thanks for clearing things up for me...

Lol no problem.

I'm with you, I hate drums too.... I would like to upgrade the rear someday. But it's all a matter of $$$.

But it might be possible, we won't know till someone get's under there and actually puts a front rotor up to it:biggrin:.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
We really only need them in the front. Just having the slotted rotors and pads upgrade on mine made a differance. We already have larger rotors and calipers to begin with.

another company you should look at is Willwood Brakes...:top: i know for a fact they have a BBK for front/rear 6 lugs...:biggrin: especially for our application Matt...

Lol no problem.

I'm with you, I hate drums too.... I would like to upgrade the rear someday. But it's all a matter of $$$.

But it might be possible, we won't know till someone get's under there and actually puts a front rotor up to it:biggrin:.

yeah i completely understand...:laugh: so many dream projects not enough CASH...yet...

Dallas

Reaction score
I used Outlaw calipers when i made my front and rear disk setups.

I know of no kit by wilwood, got a part number?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 94
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 90

XrunnIT

Reaction score
So back on topic... 4 piston vs 6 piston.

I agree.

A 6 piston will add more weight also. It may not even add that much more braking power, because we are still using the same MC.

I thought the main advantage to a 6 piston is simply a larger area for the brake pad to contact.

For some of the supercars that are running 20's and the rotors and brakes fill those completely the 6 pistons makes sense because they need as much bite as possible.

I personally think that a 4 piston with a rotor to fill a 19 would be perfect for what we need. You would have a large braking area, and it wouldn't really be overkill.

On the rear I don't think you would need anything more than a 2 piston. Maybe a small 4 piston.

IMO :biggrin:

Seeing that I've never held a 4 piston caliper or 6 piston caliper I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't imagine the weight difference between the two would be anything to worry about.

With 6 pistons vs 4 you'll have better distribution of pressure obviously. But will there be any real advantage?

How did you decide which calipers to use?

46&2_X

Reaction score

Seeing that I've never held a 4 piston caliper or 6 piston caliper I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't imagine the weight difference between the two would be anything to worry about.

With 6 pistons vs 4 you'll have better distribution of pressure obviously. But will there be any real advantage?

Every pound of unsprung weight is still more weight....

Also it depends on the size of the piston. I have seen 6 piston calipers that are "smaller" than 4 pistions. They tend to wrap around the rotor farther than a 4 piston though. You would be surprised at how much the weight difference can be.

What I would be looking at would be the total pad contact area of a 4 pistion vs a 6 piston.

If you aren't going to get a fairly larger amount of pad surface contact area the extra weight of a 6 piston system isn't worth it IMO.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score

yes i have the part number at home...but i'm currently at work. I can post the part number when i get off later tonight...

Demello Off-Road which i believe is called Icon Performance made a 2006 Tacoma with S.A.S they had Wilwood made Front/Rear Disk Brakes for their setup. I can't remember if it was a 4 Piston or 6 Piston but if you call Wilwood they have the part number available and are willing to make the exact setup for the 4x4 Tacoma 6 Lug application...:top:

Dallas

Reaction score

How did you decide which calipers to use?

I bought the smallest 4 piston caliper they offer for the rear 1-3/8 pistons, the front i got were staggered pistons 1-3/4 & 1-5/8, meaning the leading piston, the one that the rotor enters first is smaller than the trailing piston. this give more even pad wear.
If you put a 6 piston caliper on you will definatly need a master cylinder with a larger bore.

as far as weight, the aluminum calipers will be much lighter than the cast iron factory clunkers in either the 4 or 6 piston configuration.

I had started out with wilwood calipers (forged dynalite), but in my opinion i like the outlaws better,the outlaws are billet 7075 aluminum, the wilwoods are forged aluminum and slightly heavier, the out laws have internal passages, the willwoods have crossover tubes. the outlaws look better, but the wilwoods have a spring on the sides of the pads so they might not be as prone to squeal. wilwood does make some very nice calipers, I used wilwood rotors and other components for my kit.

keep in mind the rotors, the 6 pistons use giant & very thick rotors ( more cooling) this is needed so you don't overheat the rotors with the larger swept area.

I would stick with the 4 pistons, they are much cheaper, will definatly do the job. and have 30% less chance of leaking or seizing. and the pads are more availiable.

Attachments

• DCP_2054.jpg
    DCP_2054.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DCP_2055.jpg
    DCP_2055.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 89
  • e brake.jpg
    e brake.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

x20Runner05

Reaction score
DALLAS how much did those 4 pistons run ya, and the setup for the rear??

5000XD

Reaction score
Just my thoughts, 4 pistons all around (get rid of those drums) and you should be just fine. But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket go 6 all the way :smile:

Dallas

Reaction score
DALLAS how much did those 4 pistons run ya, and the setup for the rear??

I have between 900 & 1000 in the rear setup, and about 700 in the front. the calipers are around 140.00 each

Yallrun

Reaction score
Wow I guess my question would be how much clamping force do you need? Do you wanna go as far as stopping so fast the person behind you is having a hard time not a$$ ending your X? 6 in front and 4 in rear is a little over kill, 4 Front in 4 rear will stop you on a dime.

Just my 2 cents.

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Wow I guess my question would be how much clamping force do you need? Do you wanna go as far as stopping so fast the person behind you is having a hard time not a$$ ending your X? 6 in front and 4 in rear is a little over kill, 4 Front in 4 rear will stop you on a dime.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I need as much as physically possible. Remember, I do a lot of racing, so stopping fast is needed.

As far as people rear-ending me because i stop too quick. Well either I don't stop fast enough and hit the person in front, or miss the person in front and take the hit on the rear bumper, or what I usually do is avoid those situations all together. :biggrin: That would be the reason i've only been involved in 1 accident involving another vehicle since I started driving, and that happened within the first year of me getting my license.

Yallrun

Reaction score
Well I need as much as physically possible. Remember, I do a lot of racing, so stopping fast is needed.

As far as people rear-ending me because i stop too quick. Well either I don't stop fast enough and hit the person in front, or miss the person in front and take the hit on the rear bumper, or what I usually do is avoid those situations all together. :biggrin: That would be the reason i've only been involved in 1 accident involving another vehicle since I started driving, and that happened within the first year of me getting my license.

Good point, I'm a offensive and defensive driver as well. With you saying the above, 6 in front, 4 in back GO FOR IT. Your X will be a stopping machine! Hell with that set up I'd stand in the middle of the road and let you run your X at me, stop bumper to my knees without a hitting me. :biggrin: :top: Well I'd drink a 12 pack first. :laugh:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Good point, I'm a offensive and defensive driver as well. With you saying the above, 6 in front, 4 in back GO FOR IT. Your X will be a stopping machine! Hell with that set up I'd stand in the middle of the road and let you run your X at me, stop bumper to my knees without a hitting me. :biggrin: :top: Well I'd drink a 12 pack first. :laugh:

:laugh:

it would be nice to get my 60mph-0mph distance close to 110' if not lower. If I was to take a guess I'm at about 120' right now (Dimpled/slotted rotors w TRD HP pads).

Some comparisons for 60-0 stops:
XR - 125'
XR w/TRD BBK - 116'
SRT-10 Reg cab - 125'
Lightning - 123'

c5 vette - 114'
z06 - 110'
zr1 - 95'
s2000 - 113'
mx5 miata - 114'

Yallrun

Reaction score
I'd say with 6 in front 4 in back you'd throw your entire drive train threw the front of your X with you going through the windshield. :laugh: I would have to say you would stop short of 110 feet with 6 and 4. :top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
I'd say with 6 in front 4 in back you'd throw your entire drive train threw the front of your X with you going through the windshield. :laugh: I would have to say you would stop short of 110 feet with 6 and 4. :top:

And at that point, i would only want a little bit more. :laugh:

I wonder if the MC will need to be upgraded/modded...

As the SSBC rear conversion is only a 2 piston caliper, if I'm going to do a 4 piston rear I will likely pursue a kit similar to Dallas's.

With that in mind, does anybody have any input on Rotora vs StopTech?

Yallrun

Reaction score
And at that point, i would only want a little bit more. :laugh:

I wonder if the MC will need to be upgraded/modded...

As the SSBC rear conversion is only a 2 piston caliper, if I'm going to do a 4 piston rear I will likely pursue a kit similar to Dallas's.

With that in mind, does anybody have any input on Rotora vs StopTech?

I don't even know if there is a bigger MC booster for our trucks or not. Good question.

Edit: Yeah I just did a search for aftermarket MC or booster. No Dice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom