Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

5 minute clutch mod

zXrunner

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to cut anything.

Too late I had cut about 1/8 of the Glide or else it wouldn't fit. :(
So basically just replacing Green Gromet with Glide no need to unjust nothin.
Engages much better but doesn't have that locking feel ones your in gear.
Feels much better than previously though.

JFrame

Reaction score
Oh, yes. I'm sorry. I misinterpreted what you were saying. I thought you were cutting something on the truck. The piece you are replacing the green gromet with does need trimmed down a bit.

-kenny-

Reaction score
best $3 i ever spent. like many said about riding the clutch. ITS NOT! i checked everything made sure it works and functional without any damage to the clutch. it eliminated all the free play off the panel, where it hasnt meet the sleeve. again thanks for posting the info for this mod.

Finally did this mod. Adjusted the piston to the point where it stopped turning. Took it on a test run. I feel like im driving a different car now!

..I also grinded 3rd, trying to shift a bit faster. proof that now my body needs to adjust to the engagement level.

i grinded 2nd for the first time right after this mod lol

Last edited:

smftexas86

Reaction score
So i read through the entire thread making sure i completely understand.

Seems easy enough,
but i want to make sure, the whole penny thing mentioned on here is a different mod with the same result right?

Deathoftheparty

Reaction score
That's basically what I get from it is that with the pennies you don't need to buy the furniture foot but you still have to adjust the piston behind the pedal to make sure that you aren't riding the clutch. The pennies just seem really ghetto though. lol

SCarXR

Reaction score
This is a pretty nice, cheap, easy mod to do, seems like this should be in the newbie sticky as a must do mod. I used the penny method that a guy talked about on page 2 or 3...2 pennies glued together and then glued to the green grommet. Very simple, and I didnt have to go purchased a replacement chair leg or whatever those things are. Anyways, thanks for the work.

Lynxshd

Reaction score
Yea I just did the chair end and it feels much better. No more play. Actually makes it easer to drive with the stage 3 clutch.
Did you do your own stage 3 clutch install?
I took mine to toyota and the said they knew how to adjust it. hahah when I got in the truck after and tried to leave I lifted my foot about 1/64th and the clutch was fully engaged. scared the pants off me, and everyone standing under the covered area on the painted floor. lol

the part that gets me about this mod is.

" Push pedal towards top of truck (don't force), spin the square lock nut in a downward rotation until piston spins." spin the lock nut? I had to adjust the pedal on my truck and I was spinning the shaft itself. is that the same thing or am I f'ing my clutch.

thanks

Lynxshd

Reaction score
Be careful here.

I have seen a couple of clutches ruined with this mod.

If you do this mod, you have to make sure that all the pressure is being released from the slave cylinder when the clutch pedal is all the way up. What has happened is that this mod prevented all the pressure from coming off the release bearing and it was acting like the clutch pedal was partially pressed down and the pressure plate was not being allowed to have full clamping pressure on the disc causing the clutch to slip and burn up.

The way to test to make sure all the pressure is coming off of the slave cylinder is to cycle the pedal several times and then see if you can press the slave cylinder into its self by just pressing on it. If you cannot press it in by hand, you are not allowing the pressure to come off the clutch release system and preventing full clamping pressure from being applied to the disc.

A poorly adjusted master cylinder can do the same thing.

So, after you think you have everything properly adjusted, do a final check and see if you can push the slave cylinder in by hand.

G
Gadget thanks for the heads up.

I am super new to moding my X.
I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction, when testing the slave cylinda.
where is it?
How do I press it by had...

Sorry for being stupid on this one.
I have mostly worked on pre 1950's cars

thanks

Top Bottom