Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone have Code P2238?

iniazy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just installed the MAP-ECU3 on my truck and I got the same code, P2238. Says Bank 1 Sensor 1, so I assume this is the passanger side sensor. I just replaced my harness, so I am suspecting the harness. I would like to thank Torspd for the link to the PDF file, I'll go through the troubleshooting steps. Just to clarify, Bank 1 is the passenger side, yes? Since Cylinder 1 is on the passenger side.

I tried swapping the two front sensors, but the Code remained the same, Bank 1 Sensor 1. This means my problem is most likely from the harness.

Also, I did an OBDII scan and monitored the open loop and fuel trims, but it seems the Bank 1 sensor is never getting hot enough to activate, until the ECU gives up and triggers the code. The Bank 1 Short Term Fuel Trims are not starting, but Bank 2 starts even when it is still in open loop, giving me a reading. This is until it goes to Fail mode and stops displaying anything. Here's a screenshot of my OBDII readout:

Screenshot_2015-05-13-22-24-13_zpswp7wi6ww.png

I've added some tiny gauges to observe the voltage on all four sensors, and they seem to all give proper voltage, although it seems the rear sensors are showing that I'm too lean (low 0.2 Volts). So if both front sensors are getting voltage, then why is one of them seemingly malfunctioning?

Also, I noticed when I swapped the AFR sensors that the sensor on the passenger side seemed to have a lot more carbon deposits on it than the passenger side, which seems quite strange, and it shows in the tiny voltage gauges that one side is rich and the other side is lean. I wonder why it's doing that?

I'll find out more tomorrow as I go through the troubleshooting steps in the PDF.

iniazy

Reaction score
I found the culprit!

DSC_0304_zpsoszzbxb3.jpg

The bank 1 AFR sensor plug was cut and wired back in the replacement harness! Bad luck. The wires were just twisted together and taped, and one of them obviously failed over time. The tape was really hard and all cracked up, which means it was done a long time ago, not recently, probably some job before the car was wrecked. Now fixed, I've put them back together, soldiered them, and wraped them with heat shrink. What a hastle, I had to unplug all the connectors on the transmission and transfer case and pull the harness up from behind the engine to be able to work it.

Now all is good, the MAPECU3 is working perfectly and the engine is smooth like butter. Now all I need to do is tune! That sounds simple enough :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom