Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone know why we have a hood scoop?

rich017

Reaction score
because it's AWESOME...that's why. And a little plastic piece is all that keeps you from making it functional. I guess Toyota thought that everyone would dig how it looks but not everyone would dig having the downside of a functional scoop (the dirty engine bay). So this way, everyone is content, at worst. Personally, I couldn't imagine having a scoopless XR and I love looking out over the scoop, it looks cool. And when you live in a place like Arizona, it surely helps keep the engine temp down during the summer and if you run a regular CAI, it's gotta help get some extra air in there, maybe not much, but every little bit counts.

Opening it up does not make it functional. In fact, the air goes right over the scoop when driving.

X-roller

Reaction score
Opening it up does not make it functional. In fact, the air goes right over the scoop when driving.

I don't understand why people say this... Our engine bay gets a lot dirtier with the hood scoop open than when it is not... I know this from experience...

No that is not my engine bay in the pic.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
That one guy on TC made it fully functional with his TRD intake. His design was nice!!! Sorry, too lazy to find the actual link.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
I think this is the one.

Attachments

• 2009-04-21-17_05_44.jpg
    2009-04-21-17_05_44.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 200

Mr.X

Reaction score
man F**K the scoop

1204090926.jpg

now you see it

1208091504b.jpg

now you don't :adore:

1208091504a.jpg

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
I second that. the above photo is not an example of what an open scoop does on it's own. That my friend, is the result of MONTHS (maybe years) of neglect. Anyone who would let thier terminals corrode that bad needs some serious maintenence discipline! Where the heck does that dude live anyway? on an aircraft carrier somewhere deep in the pacific? holy hell. Spongebob's ride is in better shape....

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
because it adds 50 hp.... duh...

^^that.... leads to this....

IMG_0238.jpg

I'm pretty sure that is just from laziness,

The scoop is there to make the truck aestheticly pleasing if mine hadn't come scoop I Polly would have cons with the svt lightening 3 years ago

Last edited:

livinginsa

Reaction score
My hood scoop has been open since I bought mine, and it doesn't look anything like that. My friend has a Nissan that is newer than my XR and when he opened his hood, it was pretty bad. He has no hood scoop. That is negligence. That is pure wrong.

I like the hood scoop because it completes the look. Maybe, it would have looked good backwards, too, like the 1974 Trans Am with the 455 SD or HO.

Scarface

Reaction score
I dig mine, can someone find the write-up for that functional hood scoop mod? I mean if someone already has done the measurements & has all the figures... Why not just replicate it? It wouldn't be massive amounts of cold air... But yeah, good idea...

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Thanks for bumpin this thread. I too am interested in the scoop mod and couldn't remember where I saw it. Who ever made it should make a bunch and sell em. Surely lots of dudes would be interested.

Murderface

Reaction score
Thanks for bumpin this thread. I too am interested in the scoop mod and couldn't remember where I saw it. Who ever made it should make a bunch and sell em. Surely lots of dudes would be interested.

But the scoop doesn't stick up high enough to collect the air rushing over the grill so what's the point in making it functional? Waste of time is all it is

rich017

Reaction score
But the scoop doesn't stick up high enough to collect the air rushing over the grill so what's the point in making it functional? Waste of time is all it is

Yeah.. after 4 years and people still don't get it. I even stated it is not functional when opened on one of the previous pages.

Opening it up and put some water right in front of the scoop. Then take a drive and that water will either A. Still be there, or been caught by the wind and shot into your windshield. Air just simply does not go in there unless you have some kind of suction, like an intake sitting right at the scoop.

Top Bottom