Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone know why we have a hood scoop?

Skymessenger

Reaction score
I was driving home the other day and a bird hit my scoop and broke my screen out. It messed up some stuff in the scoop, and I just replaced it with a piece of titanium metal. Is there anything yall can tell me to help me get a new scoop. That is the only part I need. Just the fiberglass scoop.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I was driving home the other day and a bird hit my scoop and broke my screen out. It messed up some stuff in the scoop, and I just replaced it with a piece of titanium metal. Is there anything yall can tell me to help me get a new scoop. That is the only part I need. Just the fiberglass scoop.

Aahahahahahaahah....
But the scoop doesn't stick up high enough to collect the air rushing over the grill so what's the point in making it functional? Waste of time is all it is

Looks like it can catch birds...:rolleyez::rofl::laugh: Don't they call hood scoops in Australia, Buzzard catchers?:biggrin:

OP...
Hit up salvage yards, look for totaled X-runners and Tacomas. You can unbolt the entire hood scoop assembly. :top:

Grumpy

Reaction score
^^that.... leads to this....

IMG_0238.jpg

Now you're spreading false information. X-roller, you're an idiot. :facepalm:
For the record, that truck never had the hood scoop open . . . and no, that's not my truck. This particular truck is a work vehicle since '05.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, that hood scoop does work. What is this blasphemous blabbering I talk about? Considering that everyone here thinks it doesn't because they have done their own personal wind tunnel test. o_O

The scoop is used for the intercooler on the diesel Hilux. Or at least it used to be.

Also, i can promise that mine works. Since it is all cut open to flow more air. :eviltongue:

For the record, that truck never had the hood scoop open . . . and no, that's not my truck. This particular truck is a work vehicle since '05.

Agreed. Xroller, that was a poor comment. Main reason being, is that those that don't know how things work will tend to believe your comment, and then spread misinformation about a topic, which they really don't know anything about.

Last edited:

Tanaka

Reaction score
I opened up the scoop on my truck, and ive noticed more heat exiting through the hood scoop. So for my purposes, and how i drive, i could use the extra help. lol.

Concerning dirt and what not, i have noticed a very slight increase in dust. But then again, i go airsofting in some offroad terrain. As for rain, i'll soon experience that here in the CA bay area weather.

livinginsa

Reaction score
Having a hood scoop open makes no difference. Probably 90% of the air comes in through the front of the truck.; it won't be any cleaner or any dirtier with an open hood scoop. I keep my hood scoop open, and I keep my motor clean.

Some people say no air comes in through the hood scoop. If no air comes in through the hood scoop, how can the motor get dirty? Ya, it would be impossible for the motor to get any dirtier if no air or very little air comes in through the hood scoop. Obviiously some air comes in through the hood scoop. I bet if one puts their head out the window and opens their mouth, eventually they will get a bug in their grill. So for me, I keep my scoop open, and I keep my motor a little cooler.

Last edited:

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
does opening up the scoop effect the engine bay pressure? i.e. the negative pressure in the engine bay is what pulls air through the radiator, opening up that scoop wouldn't mess that up?

Last edited:

James_T

Reaction score
does opening up the scoop effect the engine bay pressure? i.e. the negative pressure in the engine bay is what pulls air through the radiator, opening up that scoop wouldn't mess that up?

The radiator fan has a shroud over the entire radiator, so you could consider it a sealed system, for all intents and purposes. Opening the scoop should theoretically let heat escape at a standstill, since the hot air will want to rise upwards.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score

Wasn't that caused by a battery explosion or something. I don't think dust and dirty is blue and yellow xroller :rolleyez:

butters607

Reaction score
i would say the main thing here is it lets the heat rise up and out of the scoop while in traffic mine is closed and that heat just sits up there on the hood cause it has no where to really exit through

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score

So does the air flow backwards on a subi? Out of the hood scoop at cruising?:crinklehair:

Wasn't that caused by a battery explosion or something. I don't think dust and dirty is blue and yellow xroller :rolleyez:

Some of that. Lots of dirt, and lots of overspray from the leaky APR T-stat housing. :top:

Last edited:

dpartinvr4

Reaction score
So does the air flow backwards on a subi? Out of the hood scoop at cruising?
that's not what I was saying. the engine bay having low pressure causes the high pressure in front of the radiator to want to get in, thus flowing through the radiator.

black betty 07

Reaction score
I personally think it is simply to let everyone know that a Toyota is just much more BADASS than an S10 Extreme.It's just sex on wheels!!!!!!

Top Bottom