Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Big Brake Kit...

Is the Big Brake Kit worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-roller

Reaction score
Is it really worth it? I was thinking about doing the rears...but now I am more focused on the front since my last thread...

BlackCat

Reaction score
Depends... I think it was, but then I bought mine used. Got it, resurfaced the rotors and got new pads all for less than the cost of new. But you're not likely to find folk on here selling off their BBK's, I only got mine because the previous owner was getting even bigger BBK's.

That leaves everyone else having to pay retail. But then, when considering I've seen folk selling off almost every other mod available for our trucks (even superchargers) - but not BBK's - that goes to show how good the BBK's are. Nobody wants to get rid of them :top:

X-roller

Reaction score
Depends... I think it was, but then I bought mine used. Got it, resurfaced the rotors and got new pads all for less than the cost of new. But you're not likely to find folk on here selling off their BBK's, I only got mine because the previous owner was getting even bigger BBK's.

That leaves everyone else having to pay retail. But then, when considering I've seen folk selling off almost every other mod available for our trucks (even superchargers) - but not BBK's - that goes to show how good the BBK's are. Nobody wants to get rid of them :top:

nice....that helped alot. :top:

XDsm

Reaction score
Pffft BBKs are for the weak.............:biggrin:

You can find used BBKs from time to time. Usually it's someone trading their truck in. Dealers won't give any extra cash for the TRD BBK being installed so sometimes you will find someone willing to swap out their BBK for your stockers + cash before they trade their truck in.

Still you can find the TRD BBK online brand new for well below MSRP. It takes some digging but it can be found.

Xample

Reaction score
i love my brakes....front and rear woot woot... dont let the haters decieve you. if your gonna build a f/i truck and actually use its power than yea bbk ftw!!

TXR-HI

Reaction score
love my front 4 piston trb bbk and my rear 2 piston stoptech bbk. Great combo!.. one of the best upgrade to our already sporty truck.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, PLEASE make a semi-complete sentence when posting a poll. These polls go on our homepage and a poll that just says "Big Brake Kit?" doesn't tell me WTF you're asking. Remember that we have a lot of people viewing this site that are not members - so please try to be clear with your question when posting a poll.

Thanks!

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
love my front 4 piston trb bbk and my rear 2 piston stoptech bbk. Great combo!.. one of the best upgrade to our already sporty truck.

do you have an a pic of your setup? and where did you get them

Justin

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Is it really worth it? I was thinking about doing the rears...but now I am more focused on the front since my last thread...
I think it depends on what you do with the X and how you drive it.
If you take the X into the mountains/twisties or AutoX, then yes.
If it's just a DD commuter, then probably not.
If you can afford it, then yes regardless (and get an extra one for me as well)!:biggrin:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
BBK always help regardless if its for autox, twisties, or DD...if you can stop in a shorter distance with a BBK in any driving situation and weather than I say go for it...:top:

jmony55

Reaction score
BBK always help regardless if its for autox, twisties, or DD...if you can stop in a shorter distance with a BBK in any driving situation and weather than I say go for it...:top:

i agree with you all the way, but when it means shelling out 2 grand, i get a little hesitant.

Scratchy

Reaction score
This truck definitely needs a BBK, but for over $2k US. it way over-priced, so it's just not worth it. That's almost $3K Canadian. You can buy a used car for that much.....
There's something wrong with this picture.
There's no way a couple of rotors and calipers are worth $2K+ when you can replace the stock ones for 1/10th the price.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
i agree with you all the way, but when it means shelling out 2 grand, i get a little hesitant.

yes its a little hesitant but that's what saving the money for...I am planning on doing this purchase and mod hopefully in the next 6 months or so...hard to find a company like wilwood that has a BBK compatible with my 6x5.5 lug pattern for front and rear for my truck...

This truck definitely needs a BBK, but for over $2k US. it way over-priced, so it's just not worth it. That's almost $3K Canadian. You can buy a used car for that much.....
There's something wrong with this picture.
There's no way a couple of rotors and calipers are worth $2K+ when you can replace the stock ones for 1/10th the price.

most will think that way but the day you got S/C your stock brakes won't be enough to stop that extra power you just added. with that in mind you will run down your stock brakes a lot quicker.

I was always taught 1 thing, its more so for street bikes but it still pertains to performance cars and trucks; you can always go fast but can you stop even faster...

Scratchy

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying....
The stock brakes won't even stop a stock XR, never mind one with F/I.
You can spend $5K on F/I, and then another $2k on BBK - $7K just to go fast :thumpdown:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
you can always save money buy building the BBK yourself...just purchase the drilled and slotted rotors and calipers from what ever company you can find for your application and fabricate yourself some brackets to allow for them to work with your vehicle...

you do know you can purchase the TRD S/C and fit kit on ebay for $3K. which would still put you at $5K total if you were to purchase the BBK from Stoptech...

stock brakes do stop the XR if they didn't they would have fitted the XR's with bigger and better brakes. keep in mind that these vehicles are considered sports trucks and not sports cars...any mod you do you will be spending money. Its up to you if you want to do the upgrading necessary for your vehicle but if you were to save $2K up for BBK for front and rear of your vehicle not only would you see a big difference in stopping power and distance it wouldn't hurt your pocket as much that way...

Scratchy

Reaction score
Thanks Tollphr33.

The TRD S/C is $3K + the APR-X1 is another $1300 + Intake = close to $5K (I wouldn't even consider the reflash on the ECU)

I've actually done a lot of research into making my own BBK kit using rotors and calipers from other Toyotas. The XR has smaller rotors than Camry's, Rav4's and Highlanders, which tells me the engineers were sleeping on the job. How can they put smaller brakes on a V6 truck than a car or small sport UTE?
I'll let you know what I come up with....

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
if you search on ebay the same member who sells the TRD S/C for cheap also sells TRD BBK for $1K. his SN is texan1998 hit him up with an email and he can give you an awesome deal.

I do feel the same way about you some times bro. the FJ Cruiser has sold less models and was only brought back in 07' but yet they come with rear disk brakes and toyota decided to make a TRD BBK for the FJ. Although the TRD BBK is meant for the FJ Cruiser it still shares the same lug pattern as myself 6X5.5. Since I can't find a company that is willing to help me build a BBK for the rear I may have to go that route.

Shane from Sittin' Sic is also doing a GB for TRD Intakes. You should get a hold of him cause he can definitely hook you up.

Ebay is the worlds best friends for deals...:top:

Good Luck on the build and keep me posted bro

BlackCat

Reaction score
I've actually done a lot of research into making my own BBK kit using rotors and calipers from other Toyotas. The XR has smaller rotors than Camry's, Rav4's and Highlanders, which tells me the engineers were sleeping on the job. How can they put smaller brakes on a V6 truck than a car or small sport UTE?

One word.... cost. The X's front brakes are from the base model 4cylinder. The only other OEM brakes offered on the Tacoma (I think) require the 6lug bolt pattern. Those brakes and those hubs and everything else that go with them cost a lot more money. So Toyota got crafty and decided to offer bigger brakes... but only as an option. Hence the TRD BBK.

Let us know how your BBK build goes. I know it's possible. You just have to find a mating pair of calipers / 5lug rotors. The trick is coming up with a mounting bracket for your bigger calipers that fits the X's spindle. That's the toughest part - and the part you don't want to screw up or you'll lose your brakes if that bracket breaks or warps.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
I agree with black cat...

if you don't have the fabrication skills to make your own brackets for the bigger brakes for front and rear I suggest you take your project to a certified brake shop and they can help you build the kit correctly...

for me I'm not a XR I just want the extra stopping power and shorter distance in stopping once I lift my truck and add the extra weight. nothing like burning out your stock brakes and needing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom