Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Big Brake Kit...

Is the Big Brake Kit worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

Reaction score
Ask yourself this question and the answer should be obvious.

What's more expensive.....BBK or front end of your truck when you smash it 'cause you can't stop quick enough?

Edgeman

Reaction score
Thanks Tollphr33.
I've actually done a lot of research into making my own BBK kit using rotors and calipers from other Toyotas. The XR has smaller rotors than Camry's, Rav4's and Highlanders, which tells me the engineers were sleeping on the job. How can they put smaller brakes on a V6 truck than a car or small sport UTE?
I'll let you know what I come up with....

I think Toyota knew XR owners would be more willing to pay for their BBK kits if the stock brakes weren't very good. Much more willing to pay than the owner of a Camry, Rav4 or Highander owner. Heck, 99.9999% of those owners would never consider brake upgrades, even if their brakes were as weak as our stockers (relatively speaking).

Additionally, how many of our BBK owners would upgrade if we had a better stock brake setup from the factory? Probably only F/I owners, and probably much fewer than have them now.

Yes, I would wager this was a calculated plan for Toyota to squeeze us for more cash.

TahoesHateMe

Reaction score
If you like to do any spirited driving the BBK is worth every penny. The stock brakes will fade and become unless after a few good corners. With the BBKs I did 20 minutes on the roadcorse at Vegas Motorspeedway classic course with almost no fade the entire time.

I got mine used for 1k and another $110 for new pads. Would I pay full price if used wasn't an option? YES. The stock brakes are horrible in the twisty stuff.

akakrill

Reaction score
A set just went for 1800...I was 4 days late....to the post. I want the Stoptech 355 kit. Not the TRD 335 kit. TRD contracted Stoptech and I don't think you can get them direct without piecing it all together for big bucks. I hope I can find these soon.

TICOMAN

Reaction score
TRY 2 STOP UR X GOING 100 MILES /HR......WITH CARS 10 SECONDS AWAY IN FRONT OF YOU....:laugh: WITH STOCK BRAKES YOU KEEP GOING, BUT WITH THE TRD BBK :top: THAT TRUCK STOPS LIKE IF IS GLUE ON THE ROAD....:rock:

I LOVE MINE,AND I'M GOING FOR THE STOPTECH REAR CONVERSION....

XDsm

Reaction score
I think a BBK is a must have especially for those that have performance mods or bigger wheels. It is a chunk of cash to buy at once but you can find some deals on them. When you figure how much you paid in performance mods and wheels/tires it's not such a bad deal especially for something as essential as brakes.

The brakes on the truck are WAY underpowered for an almost 2 ton truck. Factor in go fast mods or heavy wheels and it's a no brainer to upgrade the brakes.

shaX 07

Reaction score
It is 100% worth it. I would have paid $1,700 for the Rotora BBK if I had to because the BBK IS that damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom