Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Sand Pearl Tinted Tail Lights

Mr Smack Attack

Reaction score
as long as you don't mix too much black in the clear you should not have a problem. you mix less and spray till you get the desired tint.....

if you do a bsp color get a three stage the pearl would be a clear tint with all the metallic in it

mix the clear and black
spray
get the pearl
spray
get the clear
spray

bsp-ed tail light is what youll have

i did this with mine i screwed up and used a premixed paint (lacquer) and that affected the out come, but i will be using car paint next and it will be BSP

when i did mine in my camaro.. i wet sand the whole tail light 1st before even doing any paint.. so that it would looked smooth... IMO you should wet sand then prep for paint...

bigdreams

Reaction score
yeah, us B'ham guys got together. X'ED's tails look awesome. his whole truck looks great. you can always come down here to Alabama and see them in person. lol. i know. that's quite a drive. but it'd be fun

Kailua-X-Runner

Reaction score
solid tails

Not bsp color match, but pretty damn close. Here are some pics of my tinted tails.

View attachment 7741 View attachment 7742 View attachment 7743

Light shines through OK during the day. At night there is no problem, also added led bed bar for extra light.

solid tails (denzel)... i wanna do mine too, but im no like n e moa trouble from da cops... being from hawaii and now in cali... cops always looking for give out tickets like its halloween...

yayxrunner707

Reaction score
i've read many times that film tint on tail lights just isn't durable. and i have a can of vht night shades at my house now. but after looking at numerous pictures, i like the looks of professional body shop tinted tail lights much better. they look more factory. night shades "dulls" the headlights even when clear coated. and automotive paint mixed with clear will allow more light to pass through than night shades (so i've read). however everyone who has them professionally sprayed uses plain black paint mixed with clear. i'm wondering how black sand pearl mixed with clear will look.

trust me use the vht and a heavy coat of krylon fusion clear coat and they look awsome and shiny.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
has anyone used the precut film to tint tails and head lights? if so could you explain how you did that.... sorry dont mean to thread jack

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Sorry bud, I havent used any precut tints on any of my vehicles :frown: heres a bump though!

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Caveat: This is only if you have not already tinted them (this is a very old thread)

I have no idea about the film but if you have a shop do it have them use transparent base (the stuff they use to mix a pearl) I don't have any flake in mine but I don't see how it would change the mix much. Mix your transparent base with black (or BSP it's a premix you can buy off the shelf) such that there is 5% or less black. Mine are pretty dark, I taped off the brake and turn signal, 2 coats black mix, un-masked, 2 more coats black mix, then 3 coats clear :top:

Unfortunately this is the only pic I have available while I'm at work
100_0784.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to PM me :top:

EDIT: Couple more pics

100_0357.jpg

100_0356.jpg

100_0355.jpg

Last edited:

Sykotic336

Reaction score
damn bro thats really dark lol mines are like that but i left the reverse light part open imo i thought it looked better i like the pearl sand in them too also diggin the murdered look

X_Less

Reaction score
We were quite pleased with the outcome, It was noticeably smoked but the lights lit up like it was stock.

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
i've read many times that film tint on tail lights just isn't durable. and i have a can of vht night shades at my house now. but after looking at numerous pictures, i like the looks of professional body shop tinted tail lights much better. they look more factory. night shades "dulls" the headlights even when clear coated. and automotive paint mixed with clear will allow more light to pass through than night shades (so i've read). however everyone who has them professionally sprayed uses plain black paint mixed with clear. i'm wondering how black sand pearl mixed with clear will look.

window film isn't durable b/c it's made for the inside of cars. If you get the right film made for light protection it is as durable as clear bra film. There are companies that sell smoked film for headlights/tails

Top Bottom