Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blown Engine

grifter95

Reaction score
Well went to pass someone today in my 09 TRD S/C Tacoma and bam/bam and white smoke out tail pipe. On wrecker ride home it was bleeding oil from bottom of engine bay. I figure its blown. Will take skid plate off this weekend and survey they damage. But I am assuming I busted block since its leaking oil. If I do indeed need a new block/engine what 4.0 Toyota models/years would be a drop in? Thanks. Going to go drink now :frown:

madtrucker

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get her back up and running soon.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
03+ 4Runner. But the 03-04 intake cam gears woupd need to be swapped from your engine to those.

Then obviously 05-11 Tacoma.

07-09 FJ

And some year model Tundras that I am not sure of.

Toon714

Reaction score
Was it the n2o? That blew ur motor?
Im scared of naws. :(

Sorry to hear that it happened to u.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Damn, pull of the 7th, o/d pulley, and n20 kit....take it in for warranty.:laugh:

No but seriously, we need more details..... Were you at WOT, n20 going? :dontknow:

Workman3886

Reaction score
I remember when I blew up my first motor, I cried like a school girl playing dodge ball...

Sucks man, they're around go find you a decent one and drop her in!

grifter95

Reaction score
Nitrous is on truck (50 shot) but was not on. Went to pass a semi and got in it about half way past him it made nasty noise and felt it shake a little (almost thought I had messed up trans) and then smoked like hell (white/grey). Slowed down as soon as I could and pulled over and shut it off. Popped hood and visibly everything looked fine. So fired it back up and it was knocking like hell and maf read rich. So shut it off. Didn't notice oil til I went to take off wrecker and saw pulled 12" or so in diameter.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
You could allways get xrollers motor which is allready modded

grifter95

Reaction score
I would love his engine... its just $2k more than several very low mileage engines I have found that are stock. Just tryjng to
Justify the extra

NODRULN

Reaction score
Ouch sorry to hear that. I'm new to xrunners are the motors in them really weak or something? I been hearing not so good things lately on them.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just depends on how good your tuning is on these. Powder cast rods are not strong in these. They are quite thin in structure as well.

Good tuning for knock prevention and not getting crazy with a raised rev limiter will help a lot.

First mod should be the oil pan spacer though.

Coupe makes those. Member here. Grumpy recently posted a picture of his modded spacer. The factory lower oil pan is just very shallow. The spacer just gives the sump more depth.

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
Only motors i know about blowing was because of nos,oil starvatiobn,or snakebitten

nick_gz1

Reaction score
damn sorry to hear that bro! hope the outcome is good!

grifter95

Reaction score
FYI our mechanic at SO initially thinks that I may have lost a valve (retainer) and had the valve fall into cylinder and become an internal projectile. But that is obviously pending me and him tearing the engine down. Tune was good and conservative since it has been in place for.30k+ miles with no issues whatsoever. Also A/F was at 10.3 at the moment all went to hell (habit of watching gauge when in boost).

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That would really suck, if it was due to a failed retainer. Would be the first time I have heard of that as well.

Murderface

Reaction score
I would love his engine... its just $2k more than several very low mileage engines I have found that are stock. Just tryjng to
Justify the extra

That blocks got over 135k on it remember, not saying that's terrible but I'd buy a lower priced one with lower miles and build it up before buying that.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
That blocks got over 135k on it remember, not saying that's terrible but I'd buy a lower priced one with lower miles and build it up before buying that.

Well seasoned blocks are better for building up. Now, I have NO idea the condition of my motor internally, I will say this, it did eat a screw, which is why I got rid of it......:rolleyez:

Top Bottom