Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blown Motor, coming back stronger

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Success!!! The motor install went very well. So here are some pics.

The ARP head studs. All torqued down.
CIMG2943.jpg

CIMG2944.jpg

About to set up timing.

CIMG2945.jpg

Hmmm????? o_O

CIMG2947.jpg

Here is the knowledge I wanted to share about the oil pans. I.E.:

win pan - left. dmb - right

CIMG2948.jpg

Here are the close up differences. Look at how much deeper the drain pan is on the 4x4/PreRunner oil pan.

CIMG2948.jpg

CIMG2952.jpg

CIMG2954.jpg

CIMG2957.jpg

As you can tell the 4x4 model is much deeper. Better for high G cornering and hill climbing. The 2wd/Xrunner pan is much thinner. If you don't have at full on the dipstick and do to much extended turning, you can easily deprive some rod bearings of desperately needed oil. So be careful (full) or swap (if possible).

CIMG2964.jpg

CIMG2966.jpg

CIMG2968.jpg

Here is the start up vid by Grumpy. Not much to see...just a motor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sINNPNnBG-I

Last edited:

ntinhri

Reaction score
Sounds like a valve or a exhaust leak.. I bet you were very happy it started!!!

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That noise had me for a second also. The backets that support the headers that are attached to the transmission were both loose. The bolts going into the bottom of the headers were also. Easy fix.

This is also the first time I've had the chance to run a few new things on my truck. One, is a pair of copper gaskets that I had made to go between the header to Y-pipe. The other is a ninja hiding somewhere around the intake. o_O. I'll post a pic tonight.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
w00t x3

What kind of assembly lube is that man? Looks like hand lotion, getting a little happy too early mark?

Your tires are flat!

Get some vids tearing it up after the break in dude.

Last edited:

5000XD

Reaction score
Pretty sweet! I wanna see this thing drive :top:

SX TOY

Reaction score
right on bro love to see a full build list.
I am acquiring a block soon so that I can make the slow road to boost myself.
that killerglass rad hose looks badass :top:
bring on the BOOOOOOOOOST

blackx07

Reaction score
i followed this whole thread and now ill finally post.
im glad to see its all back together and up and running again.
last time i rode in this thing i almost cried from pure joy
good work bro :top:

dwntwnall4u

Reaction score
Yes, you're back up running. Waiting to hear more on the build and future front suspension.:top:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
congrats mark...glad to see and hear the truck is back up and running...:top: TORPSD 3.0 FTMFW!!!...:rockon:

you definitely got the longest build thread...:biggrin:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
TORSPD 3.0 Hell mf yeah! I drove it to work today. Every thing seems fine. Might have a small vacuum leak. Have to check tonight. Feels real good so we will see.
Shouldn't be to long before I can get into the boost. I want to do some data logs so I can make sure all is going well.
New coilover will be back on track by Saturday.
That killer glass has been a bit of a savior before, and I finally got the chance to put the lower one in as well.
Thanks guys for all of the support on what has to be the longest build thread ever.....lol
Lunch time, so I will repost all specs later

rexrunner

Reaction score
did that sts put any impressive numbers down when it was running? :crinklehair:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats Mark. Job well done my friend. Wish you the best for the long haul this time :top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. Long term long haul for sure.

It did alright on these 35's. The #'s are in my sig.
No vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks also.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I had though I had a possible vacuum leak earlier. So I did a little testing and some swapping of parts. The truck was kinda chugging like it was having a hard time accelerating. I ethought maybe it was having a hard time breathing also.
So I swapped out to a newer air filter. Moved around some vacuum hoses and checked over all the ailicone couplings.

Went for another test drive...

I opened the back window so I could listen to the turbo. I could hear it, but it had been so long I couldn't remember exactly how it was supposed to sound.

I gave it gas. Watched the boost gauge. Wouldn't get into boost. Not even 1 psi. WTF??? Tried it again. Same. Tried it again. Same. Then all of a sudden I could really hear the turbo. BOOST!

I think some how the turbo was gummed up or something. Now my truck is running great. Only got into 3 psi for now.

On another note, I did a slight tapper/port to my DTLT's. They come with a 36mm opening. Stock header have a 42 mm opening that tapers down to 36mm. So I ported the opening to 40mm. The point is, that it flows better now, and the rasp at 3k rpms has subsided so much now, I really like the sound. Odd that.

Tapp

Reaction score
got any pics of the headers now... how far back did you taper them?

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Good work on the ported headers Mark. And glad to hear your truck is running fine.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tapp - Sorry but I don't have any pics on the headers. I just got the idea from the other member that posted the thread "Ported Headers" and went with it. Side by side with the Stockers, it is an eye opener. Plus if you take them off, you will notice a much thicker black exhaust ring than the stockers. Apparent sign of restriction.

Top Bottom