Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Building a 4-door xrunner/ Is it worth it.

xclusive1

Reaction score
Since the X-runner came out in 05 it's been my favorite truck of all time. I love everything about it, except that fact that with kids, I need something bigger now. Thus, I was thinking about building a 4-door X. If I were to buy a double cab , is it going to be easy as slapping on a XR body kit and dropping it? I doubt it. What exactly would I have to do to build this, and how much am I looking to spend? Very sad that I gotta move on, but kids come first. Help me out if you ever thought of doing this. Thanks.

USAFX

Reaction score
I question the side skirts... but the front, rear, fenders and the lowering you should have no problems with...

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
I had once wished that the regular base model Tacoma (especially the regular cab!) would come with the 1GR and a 6 spd auto so I could buy one and do basically the same thing you're talking about but my goal would be a 1/4 mile shooter, not a family truck. Essentially, all you would really need is the most obvious of things; the body kit, the "street package" scooped hood (if your dub cab didn't have one), the X-brace, and as far as the suspension goes I'm not sure what all is different...but it's almost certainly the whole shabang, along with the Bilsteins. That would be your biggest hurdle, gettin the same height as the X-runner. I'm sure some suspension guru's will chime in on this and help you out....

x20Runner05

Reaction score
You also have to consider dub cabs are 6 lug wheels where as the XR is 5 lug. Question the side skirts but may find some aftermarket sideskirts to matchup or fabricate your own skirts. Other than that the idea of 4dr X sounds good.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
I asked about this a while back on how a DC x would look and someone posted a pic of a DC x and it didn't look as sporty.

fmap4life

Reaction score
very funny, As I sat at a red light and seen a 4 door tacoma today, i thought this, "Would We have Bought One, If It was A Four door?" , My Opinion was "No"

schiz1994

Reaction score
DUDE. they sell 4 door 5 luggers now. with the I4. get one of those and lower it and put some xr rims on it. unless you want power. than go v6

rich017

Reaction score
You have to cut holes along the whole body of the truck to attach the body kit.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
rich017 said:
You have to cut holes along the whole body of the truck to attach the body kit.

Or you can do like some ricer body kits and use 3m double sided tape on the part along side of the body and screw in the ends

SooRunner

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but opposite...I was thinking of making a 4x4 xrunner....or you can say all wheel drive xrunner...I think it is possible...just getting all the parts from a 4x4 tacoma will probably make it work.:hmmmm2:

djcsx-runner

" I love blue waffles"
Reaction score
it really wouldn't be that bad, just expensive. you would have buy the body kit which is about 1,500 bucks minus the side skirts, buy an x-runner front and rear bumper so you wouldn't have to cut the wholes there, then get a hold of the to plastic brackets that bolt to the truck that the side skirts clip onto, then find a shop to make you a set of custom side skirts to match the rest of the body kit, and as far as cutting wholes the only places where you would have to cut wholes is in front of and behind the rear wheel well for the clips of those pieces. that takes care of the look then you have to lower the truck, find a x brace, change the axles to 5 lug only if you want x-runner rims, or i personally would just buy after market rims to fit the 6 lug and call it a day. if im missing something please let me know

Scarface

Reaction score
it really wouldn't be that bad, just expensive. you would have buy the body kit which is about 1,500 bucks minus the side skirts, buy an x-runner front and rear bumper so you wouldn't have to cut the wholes there, then get a hold of the to plastic brackets that bolt to the truck that the side skirts clip onto, then find a shop to make you a set of custom side skirts to match the rest of the body kit, and as far as cutting wholes the only places where you would have to cut wholes is in front of and behind the rear wheel well for the clips of those pieces. that takes care of the look then you have to lower the truck, find a x brace, change the axles to 5 lug only if you want x-runner rims, or i personally would just buy after market rims to fit the 6 lug and call it a day. if im missing something please let me know

You mean hole? :hmmmm2:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing but opposite...I was thinking of making a 4x4 xrunner....or you can say all wheel drive xrunner...I think it is possible...just getting all the parts from a 4x4 tacoma will probably make it work.:hmmmm2:

Far cheaper to start with a 4x4 truck, and make it look like an XR. Trust me on that one.

Same goes for this man's 4 door. WWW.TundraRacing.com has a drop kit for our 6 lug trucks. If you aren't satisfied with the stock struts, the there is alternative. Buy a set of King Racing OEM replacement coilovers, with 12" coils, and that will get you to the same low as the Tundra Racing front drop, but with stiffer springs and better shocks.

The front bumper has slots on the back side that are marked already. Just have to cut them out, and install the front XR clips. TRD_sport already has done that.

Keep your six lug axles. Otherwise you will spend a large chunk swapping parts from a 5 lug steering knuckle to yours, and then you would still need the rear axles. Unless you really want to.

djcsx-runner

" I love blue waffles"
Reaction score
it will basically be the same concept as the 4door x-treme but way better all around

Attachments

• 4door.jpg
    4door.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 227

X-Caliber

Reaction score
Lol sure, lets add another 4 feet to the truck. It's not like its a boat already. Parking this thing is a b*tch in half the parking lots i have to park at anyway! I'm interested in the final product though, this needs a photochop.

Top Bottom