Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Burnout or no burnout?

Do you burnout in the waterbox?

• YES

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • NO

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • ONLY WITH SLICKS

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • ONLY WITH DRAG RADIALS

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
I'm out for some track trips from you more experienced X-heads. When runnin @ the strip do you burn out in the waterbox or drive around it? If so, whats your method and if not, WHY not? I was talkin to a semi-pro driver/co-worker the other night and he raised an interesting point. He told me that with street tires, alot of tracks actually FORBID you from doing a burnout or driving through the waterbox, because in doing so, you collect water in the tread groves, which runs down on to the track while staging, thus making the next driver (and possibly yourself) launch in a wet spot.

That being said, I don't see how this could be significant as long as you do a burnout and even semi-heated up tires are better than cold ones right? My main question is this: When doing a burnout in a manual, should I powerbrake once I get em' spinnin? I'm afraid I'll just stall out and look like a doucher. We've all seen the big HP guys and they're standing, smokey burnouts. I usually just raise the RPMS, dump the clutch and let the tires spin til' I feel them begin to hook up, then I push in the clutch and get out of the throttle. This method works but makes for a pretty weak burnout and I doubt it heats the tires up all that much. Should I even bother? or am I just doing it wrong? any tips and input will be much appreciated as always.

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
I drive around the water box then do a small burnout to warm them up best to keep the water off with street tires.

rich017

Reaction score
I drive around it. It is completely pointless do do one with street tires.

I also absolutely HATE when the fwd rice drag there rear tires through the water getting the whole staging lane wet.

rios

Reaction score
At the dragstrip here, Firebird raceway, if you have treaded tires i dont think you are allowed to go through the waterbox and do a burnout.

i was watching one night and someone did in fact go through the waterbox, burnout, with street tires went all the way down the track, then they shut down the strip for 15 minutes while they cleaned off all the water that he took with him to the end of the strip. Everyone was mad. '

if you want to heat the tires up drive around it and do a little one, dont go through the box.

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
I try not too, but a few strips I've been too they require you to go through the waterbox if your on drags or street tires.

Slay0r

Reaction score
I drive around the water box then do a small burnout to warm them up best to keep the water off with street tires.

i pretty much do the same b/c at my local track they dont give much room to "drive around" the water, so there still some that gets on my tires. One of the reason why my 60' suckkk. the water carried from the front tires is making its way in front my rear tires when launching, i end up boggin down or spinning like crazy

Baggins44

Reaction score
I dont really feel it's needed but i do it just to try and smoke the tires. If you take the rpm's up high enough you can hit the brakes and smoke the shit out of the tires. I've never been told anything for doing it at firebird

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
They didn't say anything to me @ Firebird and I've never seen them say anything to anyone @ Speedworld either. I guess I'll try just driving around it and launching. I wanna really launch that bitch next time, which is why I wanted to know the best method. I really don't think doin a lil burnout outside the waterbox will be worth the effort. 1st gear is so damn low I'll probably only spin for half a second before hookin up on that sticky ass pavement.

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
you need to do a small dry hop before you stage . its to clean off the debris and stuff youve tracked from the pits or on your return to the lanes. stay away from the water as much as possible with street tires.

Clifford

because race truck
Reaction score
on street tires I always do my best to avoid the water, only time I have ever used the box is with drag radials, but its been so long since I've been to the track in a 2wd vehicle Ill have to figure my shit out all over again.

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
Indeed it is @ joseph.....we need all the help we can get bro! I aint goin down against another diesel god damn it.

STONER-X

Reaction score
at the track i have been to it hard to avoid the water box..... i had to drive threw it.... tracks are slick as soon as i got out of the water box (1-3 mph) i just give a light punch and lightly apply the brakes.... i am still moving up some and dont do it for very long since street tires get slick and greasy when over heated easily....and as far as a launch RPM... i have had more problems lighting up the tires when trying to go up even a little off idle.... i keep it low and i seem to have better luck launching a tad better....

jaxchrisfla

Reaction score
1600-1900 is a great launch for a lightly modded xr. load the clutch while staggin, and let it slip a little off the line to keep the shock off the driveline.

rich017

Reaction score
Yeah, around 1600 or 1700 is a good launch RPM for the X if there are a few mods.

You have to slip the clutch while launching. You are probably spinning because you are just letting off the clutch and not letting it slip.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
if you have to spin the clutch to hook up, whats the point of upgrading the clutch? just curious....

Jap

Reaction score
On street tyres, burnouts are useless.
Drive around the watertrap as best you can, straighten up and do a little dry hop without hitting the 60 foot mark :D

Some race compounds need varying amounts of heat put into them.
I'm yet to try my radials at the strip, but in the driveway, as soon as you see a puff of smoke, they are ready to go.
Sportsmans need a little more I found.
Then pre stage, stage while left foot braking (auto) then I just mash it on the last yellow.
Works for me, anything else results in wheelspin.

Sproulesxrunner

Reaction score
On street tyres, burnouts are useless.
Drive around the watertrap as best you can, straighten up and do a little dry hop without hitting the 60 foot mark :D

Some race compounds need varying amounts of heat put into them.
I'm yet to try my radials at the strip, but in the driveway, as soon as you see a puff of smoke, they are ready to go.
Sportsmans need a little more I found.
Then pre stage, stage while left foot braking (auto) then I just mash it on the last yellow.
Works for me, anything else results in wheelspin.

Did you actually do a burnout in your driveway? What did the neighbors think of that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom