Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Couple small changes to the WRX

XDsm

Reaction score
I added a Cobb SF intake w/box today and loaded up the new Stage 1 tune that works with it. Butt dyno felt a little boost but what changed the most was the sound. The turbo spool up and blow off is super loud now. I kind of missed hearing my turbo in the DSM so this was a nice bonus. Intake is CARB legal which is good for me in Cali. It also still uses the factory air scoop.

Here's some pics

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

Slay0r

Reaction score
lookin good.

my Cobb SF will b here beginning of next week:top:

Murderface

Reaction score
That's pretty nice. I was looking at some carbon fiber pieces for my bros 09 WRX and they make a Altinator cover and they used to make the factory scoop too. He actually just sent me a pic of what he's done to some chrome on the rear of his. I installed a Magnaflow catback( ( starts right after the downtube), i love the sound of Magnaflow on a Boxer engine. Check it, gloss black vinyl and he's gonna do the roof tomorrow. Not a very good pic BTw. I told him to have this all done with the 3M carbon fiber wrap but he insists on the gloss black. He also doesn't give a shit what I say lolz. He's having my buddy that lives in Woodstock Georgia do the vinyl since he does it for a living. He said he's also getting some 35% or 20% tint on the windows while he's there.
53c75bb2.jpg

I have a question for ya. So I read that if u add a catback and an intake it will need a tune because of air/fuel reasons. I saw where someone dynoed a WRX baseline, then with a catback and it picked up 15-20hp. Then they added an intake and it only picked up another 3-4 HP. Next they dynoed itwith just the intake and it put down similar numbers as the catback. That's when they figured out that if u don't tune it u really only want to do an intake or a catback by themselves. U have to get one of the Cobb tuners if u decide to do both intake and catback.

Hear anything about that?

Last edited:

XDsm

Reaction score
lookin good.

my Cobb SF will b here beginning of next week:top:

Very nice! I hear the intakes really put out some nice numbers for the Evos.

That's pretty nice. I was looking at some carbon fiber pieces for my bros 09 WRX and they make a Altinator cover and they used to make the factory scoop too. He actually just sent me a pic of what he's done to some chrome on the rear of his. I installed a Magnaflow catback( ( starts right after the downtube), i love the sound of Magnaflow on a Boxer engine. Check it, gloss black vinyl and he's gonna do the roof tomorrow. Not a very good pic BTw. I told him to have this all done with the 3M carbon fiber wrap but he insists on the gloss black. He also doesn't give a shit what I say lolz. He's having my buddy that lives in Woodstock Georgia do the vinyl since he does it for a living. He said he's also getting some 35% or 20% tint on the windows while he's there.
53c75bb2.jpg

I have a question for ya. So I read that if u add a catback and an intake it will need a tune because of air/fuel reasons. I saw where someone dynoed a WRX baseline, then with a catback and it picked up 15-20hp. Then they added an intake and it only picked up another 3-4 HP. Next they dynoed itwith just the intake and it put down similar numbers as the catback. That's when they figured out that if u don't tune it u really only want to do an intake or a catback by themselves. U have to get one of the Cobb tuners if u decide to do both intake and catback.

Hear anything about that?

Nice ride! Looks like he keeps it clean. It's good he got the '09 because that's the year they went with the bigger turbo and upgrades. '08 owners got shafted, new body but the older lower HP engine.

With these cars you will want to run a tune for any modification, especially an intake. There's been cars that have went boom from running a new intake without changing the tuning. Now there are a couple intakes that supposedly can be run without tuning but I can tell you these cars are pretty lean from the factory so an intake will only make things leaner which isn't good. As far as exhaust, these newer gen WRXs actually come with a pretty free flowing exhaust system stock. A downpipe will net the biggest improvement, not so much on peak HP but rather where it kicks in on the powerband. Axelback you won't need a tune. They don't give much gain on a stock car (at least on the sedan) and are more for audible enjoyment. The stock system on my car is pretty loud especially on cold start. I love hearing the boxer rumble but I think the stock decibel levels are where I am happy. I must say this intake is loud, much louder than the TRD intake I had on my XR.

Knight Runner

Reaction score
I like the upgrades, sucks that the foglamps didn't come with it unless it's the primium.

Xer0 SiN

Reaction score
i finally made the plunge...after seeing pics of your cobb sf intake...i knew i wanted to have a smoother powerband and the whooshing sound of the turbo LOL...i really really like the cobb intake but decided to go with the aem...mainly because there is already a aem map loaded into my accessport, its a cai, and i know that im not gonna go with a FMIC but instead with the process west TMIC so a sri is not important to me...

also in that transaction i ordered the invidia q300 catback, oem footwell lighting, oem car cover w/ baggie, and a other bunch of misc subie goodies LOL...ill take pics when it comes in next week (hopefully)...

cwatt

Reaction score
Next vehicle is an Impreza, and for sure not the newest body-style. Ugh.

Top Bottom