Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Deeper oil sump and pick up

hiflyer

Reaction score
definitely in this as well - milled out would be fine if >$1500

Gadget

Reaction score
This could be cast out of aluminum.

I have done a couple of cast parts recently and it will be very good for that. You can improve on the shape and even droop it more at the point of the sump pickup and make it even deeper.

After casting the mating surface would have to be machined.

The spacer for the pickup could be cast also, then a finish machine on both sides.

Cost per piece would be cheap, but there would be some design and tooling costs up front, in the end it could be made to fit better and make it even deeper.

G

Coupe

Reaction score

I have done a couple of cast parts recently and it will be very good for that. You can improve on the shape and even droop it more at the point of the sump pickup and make it even deeper.

The spacer for the pickup could be cast also, then a finish machine on both sides.

Cost per piece would be cheap, but there would be some design and tooling costs up front, in the end it could be made to fit better and make it even deeper.

G

You are correct.

I would be concerned about the part count required to do this and whether demand would support it.

I am good at getting a few custom parts made. Large quantity runs are another thing.

RumRunner

Reaction score
What about machining just the baffles for the stock oil pan. Then selling those to people to have reputable local welders to weld them in to their stock oil pan? And maybe sell them an oil tube extension too? This would keep machine costs and time to a minimum, less liability for you, and a simple solution to a basic problem. You would definitely increase the number of sales and it might actually be in descent price range.

Coupe

Reaction score
any updates yet coupe

I have tweaked the model of the billet aluminum pan to include an additional 1/2 quart or 6.5 quarts total. I have these at a machine shop now. I plan on cutting a couple of these. I know the price is going to be high, but I am on a mission.

Pan2-4.jpg

Pan2-2.jpg

pan2-1.jpg

What about machining just the baffles for the stock oil pan. Then selling those to people to have reputable local welders to weld them in to their stock oil pan? And maybe sell them an oil tube extension too? This would keep machine costs and time to a minimum, less liability for you, and a simple solution to a basic problem. You would definitely increase the number of sales and it might actually be in descent price range.

I would not be opposed to this. I may have to change my machining process to make this happen.

I chose to waterjet cut the spacer for this. It's quick for me. I do not have to provide a complete technical drawing. It basically cut the shape, I have laid out on the computer, similar to printing a page. However, the down side is the cost per hour is about $300 to use the cutter. To cut the larger spacer is about 45 minutes.

I am pursuing a couple of different avenues right now. You will see something shortly.

Last edited:

Emanon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gadget

G
You are correct.

I would be concerned about the part count required to do this and whether demand would support it.

I am good at getting a few custom parts made. Large quantity runs are another thing.

I would love to see this. Talk about the perfect .5 addition to any URD MK series SC.

Coupe

Reaction score
I am in the process of machining an aluminum oil pan. It will be a couple of weeks, before I have anything to show.

Coupe

Reaction score
Nothing yet.

I am also machining a simple spacer (no baffles) using a CNC mill, instead of water jet cutting. It is going to be considerably cheaper.

I will follow up in a couple of weeks. I have been pretty busy at work.

burnboy

Reaction score
I'm still down for a pan. Baffled. Steel. I lust after one actually.

Top Bottom