Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detailing Chemical Addiction - Share it!

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I was going through my elaborate stash of chemicals today. It consists of scratch removal compounds, clay bars, waxes, detail sprays, cleaners, shampoos, glass compounds, glass cleaners, metal polishes, and a slew of other great products. It really struck me... I must have almost 500$ in chemicals, applicators, and microfiber towels for the detailing of the X at any given time.

If any of you are like me you have probably tried just about every chemical known to man.

So... In an effort to save each other money and introduce each other to new & more effective products, I thought it would be a good idea to share what chemical we use for each step of the detailing process and why. I have many many more chemicals then this, these are the line up that I find to be the best and most effective so far from experience.

I will start:

For shampooing the truck I use Meguiars gold class shampoo. I like this shampoo because in comparison to other high quality shampoos this is very affordable and does an excellent job. It doesn't harm the paint, does not leave any films of any kind, and is extremely slick so it suds the grime off your paint with out scratching it with ease.

Gold-Class-wash-large.jpg

For clay barring the truck (I do this twice a year - in the spring and fall), I use Meguiars clay bar kit. I find it to be an affordable high quality clay kit. My only gripe is that I use a different paint cleaner and different microfibers so some of the kit goes to waste:

MegsSSClayKit.jpg

For cleaning/polishing the paint I use SONUS paint cleanser; this stuff is not cheap but not too expensive either. I find that it does the job better then most and a little goes an extremely long way.

What really appeals to me the most about this product is that it contains no abrasives but still does a stunning job with cleaning, removing water spots, and diminishing marks.

You must be careful when selecting a paint cleaner/polish, many products will contain mild abrasives and this is not what we want for a somewhat regular use. We want the least aggressive method possible and this does it for me.

It is a real good product yielding professional grade results:

yhst-38019199676181_1998_974972

For further cleaning, conditioning, and adding a special type of waxxing I like the product made by Klasse. Some may say that the use of this product with the sonus product mentioned above is a little redundant, I really like the results:

yhst-38019199676181_1998_402580

For a protective glaze I prefer Klasse again. I have not used the Astroshield that some use on here to compare but this stuff works awesome! There are chemical additives known as polychargers that you can add to this product, I am yet to try this as well.

yhst-38019199676181_1998_440179

Next in line is not really a quick detailer but is used as such. This is pretty much the Klasse glaze in a spray form but applies quickly and easily. This 'detailer' is pretty expensive (20$ a bottle) and really should be used for restoring the protection of your glaze every few washes, before big events like car shows, or before showing up to a meet/gathering. This stuff (Sonus Acrylic Glanz) is formulated to be used with the Klasse line:

yhst-38019199676181_1998_789614

For a quick detail like cleaning up dust or removing some dew spotting I use Meguiars Ultimate detailer. It tends to be pretty inexpensive and does the job very well.

megsuqd.jpg

For polishing my glass I use Sonus Glass polish. This glass polish works extremely well and gets rid of most water spots and other build up that glass cleaner just cant. This contains mild abrasives and chemicals that really buff your glass to like new condition.

yhst-38019199676181_1998_726897

To clean my glass I like stoners glass spray. It is an affordable, ammonia free, window tint safe, streak free (when used correctly) cleaner that works extremely well:

pACE1-2819582reg.jpg

For cleaning plastics like non-painted taillights, headlights, foglights, etc... I like the product called Plexus. The product Plexus cleans and protects with awesome results, use it once and you will see what I mean. It is kind of expensive but worth it.

yhst-38019199676181_1998_346578

For tire care I use Meguiars Tire Gel. I wipe it on with a foam applicator and it really resists flinging onto the paint very well. It is much thicker then the spray on stuff and when used with an applicator lasts an extremely long time:

MGU_G12416_LG.jpg

For a protection wax I like the Meguiars NXT 2.0 liquid. It works great, is fairly cheap, goes on and off real easy, and lasts a long time.

product_G12718.jpg

For showing the car off I love the look of a carnuba based wax. I used to use the Meguiars carnuba wax but have since retired it since it is not made anymore (due to governmeant standards). I have been meaning to try some P21S but it is VERY expensive (34.00 for a small container).

yhst-38019199676181_1998_618040

For scratch removal I have found great success with the 3M scratch remover. It seems to be more aggressive then the more popular scratch-X so I toss it up between the two. Both products work great for removing/diminishing most scratches that are not through the clear coat.

family.php

meguiars-scratch-x_4_1.jpg

For a cheap polishing paste that works great on exhaust tips and other metals I use some good old mothers mag polish. I hear the mothers polish ball works incredibly awesome as well but have not tried it.

131011_front200.jpg

A mild degreaser that I use for cleaning the engine bay and the wheels is simple green. Its cheap, doesn't hurt to many finishes, and works great.

cleaning_chemfree_simple_md.jpg

For more stubborn brake dust I use Meguiars Hot Rims, this stuff is VERY acidic so you should be careful with what you get it on. This stuff removes brake dust like you will never expect. Just spray it on, let it sit for 10 seconds, spray off.

g9524.jpg

To condition all the plastic on the truck (the bed, door trim, window seals, etc...) I use Meguiars Vinyl & Rubber. It has a UV blocker in it and really brings everything back to black/like new condition.

219FHCTS2PL._AA160_.jpg

To finish detailing the engine bay I use Maxima SC1. This is a spray silicone detailer that goes on extremely easy, makes things look flawless, an smells like cherries!

image.php

Last edited:

Bobby B

Reaction score
Hmmm . . . . . you are serious, I just bought the Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher and I'm going with Adams products for me it seems to be a more simplified process. Although the stuff Glenn sells Astro Shield is amazing for cheap my XR's going on a month and still slick.
Here is the link for Adam's

http://www.adamspolishes.com/default.aspx?

wshsbears

Reaction score
i love meguiars products..
i use NXT 2.0
yellow professional carnuba
meguiars clay bar
meguiars quick detailer
meguiars hot shine tire gel
meguiars chrome polish for exhaust tip

long handle wheel brush for wheels (i wash the inside of my wheels everytime i wash my truck)

eagle one nanowax is great every once in a while. works amazing on swirl marks and such. i'll probably apply some of that tomorrow now that im thinkin about it..

i wax my headlights and taillights b/c bugs won't stick as much if u do that.. doesn't make a difference on the plastic too much though. (taillights are tinted red with paint so it makes em look awesome)

i used turtle wax ice and its great for a quick wax, but turns into a PITA to remove when ur doing it in the sun or even if the engine is a lil warm.. the hood will get spots on it if its hot. i do like the wax though. its synthetic so not one of my faves..

invisible glass on windows

thats about it i think..

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
i have p21s sitting in my fridge right now. i use it alot and its good stuff.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
In your fridge dude? It makes the truck look good I hear but doesn't protect for to long.

HiTek21

Reaction score
Car wash shampoo
The absolute best i've used is Zaino Z7 show car wash but its too expensive for how much you get. The best alternative I've found is Duragloss 901,902,903 yielding absolutly great results, cheap and works almost as well as zaino.

Clay
Meguiars Smooth Surface clay kit or zaino's clay bar with Z7 shampoo for claylube.

Paint prep
Poorboys SSR 1 - 3
Meguiars 83 Dual Action Cleaner
Meguiars 80 Speed Glaze

Sealant
Zaino ZAIO
Zaino Z2
Chemcial Guys Jetseal 109 with a layer of EZ Creme Glaze

Wax
Poorboys Natty Red
Collinite 476
P21S 100%

Wheel Cleaner
Swissvax wheel brush and a sheepskin wash mit
Eagle One All Aluminium Wash for the weekly cleaning, claimed PH Balance so its very mild and perfect for light cleaning
Chemical Guy Wheel & Rim cleaner for medium duty cleaning
Eagle one all wheel and tire cleaner. Great to clean old tire shine off and heavy duty wheel cleaning. Very alkali so I only use it if nothing else works.

Black Trim
Chemcial Guys Black Forever Trim
Black Wow

Tire Shine
Stoner More Shine Less Time is great for a super glossy show shine but only a week or two
Chemical Guys Black Forever Trim

Glass
Stoner Invisible glass in the aerosol can and a microfiber towel. The best i've ever used.

Metal Polish
Blue Magic Creme Polish fantastic multi purpose metal polish

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
In your fridge dude? It makes the truck look good I hear but doesn't protect for to long.
:biggrin: Yes, the one in the garage. It lasts a while. Not as long as the NXT stuff of course. The wax is very pure stuff it gets very soft over time so i like to stick it in there until i need it. If you've ever smelled p21s it smells like pure wax, like crayons. Its got no perfume or unnecessary additives.

eXuser01

Reaction score
nice ds i really gotta step my car wash game up ill head up to HVM and you can show me how on my truck hahah

eltus

Reaction score
I prefer to stick to the meguiars products with a couple of eceptions. the kit car wash, nu polish scratch remover, armoall original protectant and rainex for the windows(I actually use it to clean all my windows, in and out, its a lot of work, but real good results)

RJDoute

"My Salami Nipples Ooze Milk"
Reaction score
Thanks DS. Great reviews, I know that's not what this thread is intended for, but I'm going to go purchase a bunch of those products now. :laugh:
Never detailed a car, so I have to start somewhere. Good lookin out kiddo. :top:

lucke

Reaction score
i've used almost everything thats been listed and i keep going back to Meguiar's...

it just seems to last the longest, and apply the easiest:dontknow:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
i've used almost everything thats been listed and i keep going back to Meguiar's...

it just seems to last the longest, and apply the easiest:dontknow:

Try some Sonus stuff bro, I was the same way for a while. :top:

rich017

Reaction score
I like meguiars. The clay bar is amazing. Their wax is easy to apply and it lasts forever. The spray detailer makes water FLY OFF!! The meguiars plastic polish is great for the headlights and tail lights

ICEMAN

"I drive in the dirt"
Reaction score
Hey DS what about a tar remover? Any recommendations?, I need one bad!

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Hey DS what about a tar remover? Any recommendations?, I need one bad!

There is a slew of petroleum and citrus based bug & tar removers on the shelves. They all pretty much use the same ingredients. I spray the bug and tar areas down with Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover, let it sit for a couple minutes. Then I wash the car as I do normally and this usually does the truck.

7854169.jpg

Meguiars makes a good one too, automotive goo-gone works very well, and just about anything else you can find at your local walmart or automotive store.

Just remember that these product strip your paint of its wax, always re-wax the areas you use these kinds of cleaners on.

not for those prices... i don't care how well it works.

i'll stick to my Meguiars thank.

lol. I hear yu dude. The stuff goes an extremely long way so even though its pricey it lasts a pretty long while and does a superior job.

Cant go wrong with Meguiars though, they make some decent product.

Yardie

"The Jamaican"
Reaction score
I highly recommend the P21S wax Death :top:. Great stuff.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a good wheel cleaner that is safe for the rims, especially those of you who have powdercoated rims, i an getting tired of srubbing the wheels and i cant keep them clean with the BBK. I have read on alot of them that they may strip the paint of the rims

Top Bottom