Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detailing Chemical Addiction - Share it!

lucke

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a good wheel cleaner that is safe for the rims, especially those of you who have powdercoated rims, i an getting tired of srubbing the wheels and i cant keep them clean with the BBK. I have read on alot of them that they may strip the paint of the rims
this works fantastic...

g9524.jpg

rich017

Reaction score
I have never bought a rim cleaner that actually worked.....even hot rims. I spray it on let it sit, and have to end up scrubbing anyways. To clean rims I use carwash soap and a microfiber mit. Also clean behind the rim every time I was the truck.

For tire cleaner, I really like the eagle 1. Spray it on and scrub the wheel.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
The meguiars hot rims works excellent but is EXTREMELY corrosive, it will eat painted calipers in seconds so do NOT spray calipers with it. I use simple green most of the time on my wheels since it doesn't harm much of anything but is still very powerful.

Go to the self car wash & wet all the wheels to cool them down. Spray the inside of each wheel (only clean one wheel at a time) with the Meguiars hot rims and let it sit for about 15-20 seconds. Then take the power washer, get up close, and spray the wheel down good - I guarantee this will work. Make sure you stay away from any painted plastic or other delicate surfaces with the power washer.

The power washer water pressure and the meguiars wheel cleaner works awesome together and will clean the most stubborn brake dust off the inside of the wheels.

Do ONE wheel at a time so you don't let the acidic cleaner sit on the wheels to long.

Once you get the wheels restored to new condition I suggest using a power washer and simple green as it is a less aggressive cleaner.

You will still have to hand wash the outside of the wheel to get it 100%. The above method will clean the dust off the inside of the wheel bringing it back to factory new condition in seconds.

Make sure you rinse each wheel thoroughly to fully dilute and wash away any remaining acidic cleaner.

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Make sure your brakes are cool before you put water on them. Spraying water on HOT brakes will warp them

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I have always sprayed my brakes down and luckily have not warped any yet.

The performance pads are practically made to wear the rotor down before the pad anyway. I am sure I will be doing pads and rotors at the same time. :laugh:

How hot do they have to be?

I have never hosed them off after doing a 130 MPH stop to 0 but I have after a normal drive.

lucke

Reaction score
Make sure your brakes are cool before you put water on them. Spraying water on HOT brakes will warp them
to add on and clarify this... normal driving around the city will not heat the brakes up to the point of warping the rotor. but if you've just finished a very spirited run, then you should wait until they cool.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
to add on and clarify this... normal driving around the city will not heat the brakes up to the point of warping the rotor. but if you've just finished a very spirited run, then you should wait until they cool.

Yeah I have never had a problem with warping. Then again I have never gone to wash my car right after going from 130 to 0 in 400 feet either. :dontknow:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
this works fantastic...

g9524.jpg

the corrosive stuff is the the thing i am trying to stay away form especially after i get my rims powdercoated, looks like i am still scrubbing for now:thumpdown:
it is sad when you spend twice the time in the rims as you do for the whole truck

rich017

Reaction score
Just use car soap and water to clean your rims. I do it every time I wash the truck (once a week) and the dust comes off easy. Also try putting some wax on the rims to make them shine.

X_RUNNIN

Reaction score
How many of you guys actually use a powered buffer? i seen a few talk about waxing/polishing but i usually do it by had...and maybe post some pics if u have any of the buffer i would like to see these things, oh and is it that much better to really use a powered buffer?

rich017

Reaction score
I wax by hand. To me using an electrical buffer is dangerous and a quick way to cause swirl marks in your paint

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
If there is dirt on the car to cause swirls it will be done by hand too.

I am with you on the all by hand though.

Electric buffers make it to easy to burn through the paint on edges and curves.

Its all about using the least aggressive method possible, by hand is the least aggressive method.

A machine is to save time but is not as easy on your paint.

rich017

Reaction score
If there is dirt on the car to cause swirls it will be done by hand too.

I am with you on the all by hand though.

Electric buffers make it to easy to burn through the paint on edges and curves.

Its all about using the least aggressive method possible, by hand is the least aggressive method.

A machine is to save time but is not as easy on your paint.

exactly my point. Plus you get a lil workout waxing by hand:biggrin:

X_RUNNIN

Reaction score
gottcha I do all have done all my waxing and stuff by hand too...on all previous cars and stuff but i read a few people who did it with electric buffers so i was just wondering i guess ill stick to doin it by hand still u guys made some good points about goin through the paint easier and using the least aggressive way possible:top:

rich017

Reaction score
Using one of those buffers do make the car look nice if properly used. Im talking about one of the high speed orbital's that are like $200. But in light at certain angles, you will see swirl marks all over the paint.

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Just use car soap and water to clean your rims. I do it every time I wash the truck (once a week) and the dust comes off easy. Also try putting some wax on the rims to make them shine.

thats what i have been doing but its really hard to clean the rims while they are on, my hand cant quite fit behind the bbk caliper and i need something so that i dont have to spend every two days cleaning my wheels

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
thats what i have been doing but its really hard to clean the rims while they are on, my hand cant quite fit behind the bbk caliper and i need something so that i dont have to spend every two days cleaning my wheels

Simple green and a pressure washer. :top:

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
I do a machine polish followed by a hand wax. I mostly stick to Mother's or Meguiars. but for tire shine I have been using Stoner "more shine" aerosol. It stays on the tire with out a heavy build up to remove later.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Just some of the many fine products that go into keeping the X protected, clean, and shiney! :laugh:

chemicals.jpg

rich017

Reaction score
Where do you get the Sonus from. Do you order it?

Top Bottom