Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DO NOT install a Bug Guard on your X

DOGO X

Reaction score
Could protect, but man that thing is not going to be on my truck. :stupid:

Sorry about your issue K2

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I may end up having that problem and putting it back on. But I'm going to wing it for a while and see what happens. I had it like that since I bought it (a year ago), but it's growing on me not having it on.
Took mine off and I lucked out on the paint problem but had major scuff marks. I spent a long time trying to get them out but can see them at certain angles. I am going to leave it off and put on a clear bra protection kit from ebay

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
I took mine off the other day and it already chipped the paint on the passengers far side, I only have 2K on it, it's FU**ING POS poor A** design:thumpdown:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I took mine off the other day and it already chipped the paint on the passengers far side, I only have 2K on it, it's FU**ING POS poor A** design:thumpdown:

Take it to the dealer and make them repaint it. They did mine without any questions. Was yours installed when you bought it?

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer and make them repaint it. They did mine without any questions. Was yours installed when you bought it?
I installed when I purchased the truck at the dealership I work at, but after seeing some of the body shops work (the body shop is in a different location) I wouldn't let them paint my bicycle:thumpdown:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I installed when I purchased the truck at the dealership I work at, but after seeing some of the body shops work (the body shop is in a different location) I wouldn't let them paint my bicycle:thumpdown:

Yeah - if you installed it yourself you probably would have to fight them tooth and nail to repaint it anyway. You know they're gonna blame it on you.

Speaking of paint... I noticed when I was washing the truck before the trip to Orlando that my hood had some swirls in it. I'm gonna try to polish them out once it gets (and stays) warm outside. If not - it's BACK to the body shop for the third time. :thumpdown:

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Yeah - if you installed it yourself you probably would have to fight them tooth and nail to repaint it anyway. You know they're gonna blame it on you.

Speaking of paint... I noticed when I was washing the truck before the trip to Orlando that my hood had some swirls in it. I'm gonna try to polish them out once it gets (and stays) warm outside. If not - it's BACK to the body shop for the third time. :thumpdown:
Yeah, they should be able to get that out with a very light buffing compound and a high speed buffer

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
I did the same thing after I bought the truck. I should take the hoodguard back to the dealership and tell them what a piece of crap it is.

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
I did the same thing after I bought the truck. I should take the hoodguard back to the dealership and tell them what a piece of crap it is.
X 2 I'm going to let Toyota know about this POS design, because I can do a product report at my dealership and I will let you know what they say

BlackXrunner05

Reaction score
well im with yall i think the bug guards look trashy but they do have one advantage ( if u can remove them with out the paint problems) they will keep all flying debris from chippin the hood . where i live there are a lot of dump trucks, theres a query a couple miles from me , being behind them sucks rocks are always fallin off the back and bouncing off the road and hittin my windshield and the rest of the truck. I have battle scars to prove it. Their tiny but on one i found its started to rust. So theyre ugly but functional

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
well im with yall i think the bug guards look trashy but they do have one advantage ( if u can remove them with out the paint problems) they will keep all flying debris from chippin the hood . where i live there are a lot of dump trucks, theres a query a couple miles from me , being behind them sucks rocks are always fallin off the back and bouncing off the road and hittin my windshield and the rest of the truck. I have battle scars to prove it. Their tiny but on one i found its started to rust. So theyre ugly but functional

I put the hood protector on for that reason but the OEM toyota hoodprotector will do more damage than the flying debris. There are better after market brands out that won't damage the hood.The toyota brackets are poorly designed.

Mr Smack Attack

Reaction score
sry to bring this back from the dead ... but i think it should b sticky.... i just bought mine from the dealer .. put it on ... BSP06XRU told me about the threat... gr8 info .... 2morrow morning im returning back to the dealer and getting my money back... sry about the hood... but Great Heads Up...

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
sry to bring this back from the dead ... but i think it should b sticky.... i just bought mine from the dealer .. put it on ... BSP06XRU told me about the threat... gr8 info .... 2morrow morning im returning back to the dealer and getting my money back... sry about the hood... but Great Heads Up...
Good for you!:top:

X-Pablo

Reaction score
This is another reason I went with ClearBra on the hood.
Not that we get many bugs up here in the Great White North, but in the summer I plan
on driving down to SoCal and possibly northern Arizona, and previous experience was massive
dead bug collection on the front end of the car.
So with ClearBra it should be easier to get this mess off.

BlackCat

Reaction score
Actually, I have a bug-flector on my hood. No, it's not the Toyota part. It's an Ebay knockoff. But it doesn't attach by clamping to the top of the hood, it attaches with adhesive strips to the underside of the hood. It doesn't even touch the top of the hood.

With as many copper mines and quarry operations around here, there's a lot of sand and gravel on the roads. The bugflector's saved my hood from a lot of possible damage. This explains why my front bumper was destroyed by chip damage, but my hood was almost spot-free...

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
This is another reason I went with ClearBra on the hood.
Not that we get many bugs up here in the Great White North, but in the summer I plan
on driving down to SoCal and possibly northern Arizona, and previous experience was massive
dead bug collection on the front end of the car.
So with ClearBra it should be easier to get this mess off.
You can always use blue painters tape!:top::laugh:
IMG_0282.jpg

WCD

Reaction score
Damn I missed this thread when I needed it. My stupid bug guard was a dealer-installed option. I took it off a few months ago, and I have the paint chips that go down to the primer just like in K2's pics. It pisses me off whenever I look at it. :banghead:

Top Bottom