Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drama D's Build

dramad1

Reaction score
What's up XRU. So I've been a member for a while and have had my ups and downs. I've had plenty of help and have learned a ton from all the members here @ XRU. Time to post my build thread. Thanks everyone who has helped me over the last few years and thanks XRU for the awesome site and thanks for the awesome vendors.
Here we go!!!!!

So I bought my wife like 5 cars over a few years and I myself was rolling in my brodozer. 1989 ford ranger, lifted 33x12.5, Mickey thompson'd out, 4.0 v6 intake, headers, exaust, 456 gears etc etc. I bought it off my wife cousin for 2 g's and owned it for 5 years. I told the wifey that I was done buying her cars and was gonna get me an x runner. I rarely saw them and when I did I just wished I owned one.
So I had a 1984 I believe, desiel vw truck that belonged to my wife's grandpa that passed away in my drive way. One day I had a car full of pisa's roll up on me in my driveway inquiring if I wanted to sell the vw truck. I said it wasn't for sale. They then asked about my ranger. I just said give me 2 g's and its yours. Two days later, one of them comes back and offers me 1800$ cash right then and there. Sold sold sold. My ranger had over 550k miles on it and the only issue I had was a power steering hose had to be replaced. I had it for 5 years and only paid 2k for it.
I had been looking around for an x for a few months prior to selling the ranger and knew of a dealership in Chula Vista that had two in the lot. I called them up and made an appointment to go check them out. I originally wanted a swb and had no idea they had bsp's and br's. so I went down and had a look. They had a swb 2007 and a 2008 bsp. The swb had 37k miles and the bsp had just under 13k mile.
I immediately focused my attention on the swb. They brought it out of the back and I noticed it had some lame ass chrome rims, I hate chrome on cars and trucks. I looked past it. So I started looking at the inside. Messed up carpet in the front and a custom built into the back sound system. As much as I'd like to have had the sound system, I preferred to have the seating because I have 3 boys- 5yrs,8yrs,9yrs. So I needed to be able to tote them around with me from time to time. They were asking 18k and some change.
So not to interested at the time in the bsp but still interested cause I wanted an x runner I asked to take a look at it. The dealer guy brought it around front and threw on his sales pitch thick. Bsp 12k miles and some change, immaculate interior, parrot Bluetooth, 6 speed, 4.0 v6. 21k. To wrap up the buying part sold sold sold. I was able to talk them down to just under 19k but after taxes etc etc, it came out to almost 24k.
I gotta admit I didn't want a bsp at the time because the murdered out thing was played out a Lil to much at one point here in San Diego. But once that baby was in my driveway and I got to see and drive it everyday, I fell in love. Murdered she wrote. Lol.
The first thing I did after buying it was go online and search "x runner""parts". XRU popped up first on the list for google. I checked it out and join almost immediately. Had to find time to sign up etc etc. I was and kinda still am in some areas a total noob. I didn't know sh!t about modding or how deep my pockets were gonna have to be. I tried to learn and pick things up faster than I should have. I always got confused with acronyms like dtrl, flm, dtlt's, etc etc but with everyone's help I started to pick things up and want to do more.
So it was time to get my hands dirty. My first mod I believe was the Urd ss and a set of eBay headlights. Seemed simple enough but I wanted more. I wanted my x to be like so many of the
Members sick ass trucks here on XRU. I picked me up a coupe shift ball and viper 5901 alarm to protect my baby. Had the alarm installed at best buy. Not recommended as
The guy had many issues and drilled holes under my change drawer, 4 to be exact for the Lil switch for the clutch by pass. It got done and the coupe ball went in. I was getting addicted to the site and everything that was possible for the x. I spent weeks reading stuff in the how to section trying to find things I wanted to do to my x for fairly cheap and easily. I did some carbon wraps on the window switches and it failed me with in a week. I bought the cheap auto zone wrap. Lol. Did some research and bought me some 3m di-noc and a few tubes of adhesive promotor. Redid the window switches after I painted them black. I then got the paint bug and took off my stock radio and ac vent dins and painted them black, then I did the skirts on the driver and passenger seats, painted the Lil blk squares on the rear seats and the Lil carseat thing that pops off on the top of the passenger rear seat. Paint bug for realz.
I wanted more, so power was on my mind. I picked up ketchups old Urd intake and got the grill craft upper. I had to wait a bit for the intake cause at the time ketchup was about to boost his x. I just wanted it now. Lol. It arrived and man I was worried about the install. Splicing the maf wires. Fml. I did some research and looked at the wiring diagram a 100 times. I cut and extended one wire at a time and got it done. Installed the grill craft upper and bam. Now I'm getting some where.
Shortly after I ordered the Urd mk2 cbe and maf cal. Did some more install research and after much cursing and laying on my back in the driveway I got them in. Man I was happy. The intake paired with the exaust and maf cal screamed. It would scare people if I got on it. I love every min of it.
So they had a local meet coming up at Palomar mt and I wanted to meet and greet and show off all my hard work. I went up early, and waited and waited and waited. Wtf. So I left down the backside of the mountain. I got to valley center and was over driving for the day and seen and heard a few x's going the opposite way towards Palomar. Fml. I said f it and missed the meet. Went online and waited for someone to post anything about the meet. Stated I was there an no one showed etc etc. but I just showed up to early and didn't wait long enough. They had a blast. Kevin doing donuts and billy getting stuck. Plus the twistys.
I was at work like a week later and seen a rr parked on the job and it looked slightly modded. It was Billy's x. Red-Xr-pride. I found him and we started to chop it up. Seemed like a cool dude and so we meet up after work for some shinanigans. Lol. I soon there after meet r1chris who had an audio shop in east county and meet him through billy. I sold him my stocker headlights and we talked a few times about sound systems and bar fights that he and billy would attend. Lol.
I wanted a different look and decided to bust the paint out again. Paint bug. Long story short but not really. Painted the stockers Yamaha green. And it looked alright, for a min. Billy talked me into painting the hood scoop grn and the grill craft upper grn as well. The plan was to do a mini Evo in grn in the future. So the rims stayed grn for a few months but the hood scoop and grill had to go. I was getting unwanted attention and just didn't see it with out the Evo mod, and even still was drawing unwanted attention. I had the rims grn for a while but then decided to paint them blk because it was drawing that unwanted attention, plus I didn't want some fvckers to mess with the blk truck with grn rims. Only one I have seen around. If your picking up what I'm laying down. Haters gonna hate.
I meet Kevin Sdxrunner randomly while going to get me a burger at Carl's jr. He had a meet up on Tuesdays with another club at that location. We talked and I hung out but honestly felt outta place because they all where extremely knowledgable of cars and modding. I felt I was in over my head. But I wanted to learn and I enjoy modding and wrenching, everyone's gotta start somewhere, so I went to a few more of there meets and they all where very cool and full of info , plus the fun Lil pulls here and there. I still feel slightly awkward at the meets but its all good.
I talked with Kevin and wanted a blower but he recommended I take my time and learn more and possible start attaining some of the complementing mods first. So I'd call him asking retarded question here and there. He was cool about it and always steers me in the best direction. Thanks kev.
So back to the build. I picked up some dtlt's and got them installed myself. I messed up one of the sensors trying to get it outta the stock manifold but used it any ways. Oops. Cross threaded it in my headers and made it work. Oops. Lol. I purchased a ss street drop and some qa1's. Kevin came up and showed me what's up and he or we got it installed. Lol. Picked me up some eyelids and now I was rocking. My x was running okay and I was thinking I was the shit and ill smoke any car that wanted some. Lol. Big head. It's true though. I was loving my x more and more after each mod.
So fast forward. Had issues with my alarm going off every night at around the same time. Fast forward. Seen some fool running down my drive after fvcking with my x. I ran out and seen him jump in a white civic. I jump in my x and race down the street in search for this bastard. Found him and proceed to break at the rules of the road and we get in a full on chase, I'm swinging the x around corners, bouncing of the rev limiter trying to catch these fools. Mid chase BOOM! Motor pops. Fml. I corner the car full of dudes, I have nothing on me so I did some blown motor donuts around there car in the gravel dirt, kicking up rocks at there ride and freaking the f out on them. I was pissed. Scared the shit outta them and left. Called kev the next day saying my x was done. He came up and confirmed it. Fml. X was down for over 8 months. Sold the Urd intake, maf cal, headers other mis items to save funds to fix my baby.
I swapped all stock parts I had back on the x and took it to toyota to fix under warranty. Denied denied denied. I tried everything to get them to fix it and DENIeD. Motor blew to oil starvation. 3 1/2 quarts low to be exact. But we topped it off before I took it in. Played dumb. They called in an investigator who voids the warranty due to after market parts. I play dumb, what after market parts. They then say I had a cut engine shroud. I play dumb and say how does that matter its not even connected to the engine. They call in another investigator. Void void void warranty due to cut maf wires, aftermarket parts. I tried everything from the magnuson miss warranty act to the b.o.a. No luck.
Bought a used motor online and attempted to let a friends dad install it for me. He fvcks it up and runs into all types of issues. So I bite the bullet and take to toyota. Long story short again but not really. 6k later and my x is rolling again.
Fvck I'm rambling. That's it for tonight fellas. I'm tired. To be continued........

JPAYNE722

Reaction score
i would be PISSED if my x would hve blown over oil starvation

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pics or ban. :eviltongue:

dramad1

Reaction score
Pics or ban. :eviltongue:

Ill continue the build story after work today. Most of my pics are on my old phone witch is not chargeable. Booooo! But I do have some in my album in my profile. Check em out, i cant rip them right now cause im on my phone. A lot has been done since the new motor has been in. :)

GR6RR

Reaction score
whew! that was a bit hard to read. had to highlight them as I go. Paragraphs would have been nice.

I wonder what those kids in the Honda thought about after you left them full of rocks and dirt.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
SO. MUCH. TEXT.

j/k everyone has a story glad to read yours.

justin13703

Reaction score
For some reason I always pronounced it in my head as dr. Amad lol never knew it was drama d

Good story there man, glad you at least caught up to the guys messing with your truck. Did you find out that they did any damage?

dramad1

Reaction score
For some reason I always pronounced it in my head as dr. Amad lol never knew it was drama d

Good story there man, glad you at least caught up to the guys messing with your truck. Did you find out that they did any damage?

I think they were messing with my oil pan bolt, I found oily hand prints down there. I checked my oil a few days prior and it was full. Then Kevin came up and I was almost 4 qts low.
Everyone gets my screen name mixed up. Lol. I've heard dra mod, dr. A. Lol. It Drama fellas cause I always got drama.

dramad1

Reaction score
SO. MUCH. TEXT.

j/k everyone has a story glad to read yours.

I know right. I got carried away with my story. Lol. Never done a build thread before and I was trying to recap on all that has happend and all in between. Thanks for reading but I'm not finished yet. I suck at paragraph writing so bare with me.

I will continue with what I currently have done mod wise with the truck since I got the new motor in.
I went a Lil different route this time around. I had sold all my mods minus the drop and exaust to fix my motor. So I had to start all over again.

Afe stage 2 si because I didn't want to extend the maf wires again. But I do miss my old Urd tcai.

Then I went with some jba LT's cause I already had the dtlt's and wanted to try something new that I hadn't tried.

Picked up the nst mani spacer from hottaco.

Upgraded my fuel pump with the Urd upgrade kit, wal255 as well as bought a ucon. Sdxrunner came up and helped me get the thermostat cam gears and fuel pump upgrade in. Thanks kev.

Then wanted a sc but had to wait cause I got out bid on wertys old charger. So bought a Urd y pipe. Put that in at the last meet.

I forgot I had bought sways from xii performance right after I got my truck back to go with my street drop and old style 12 way adjust qa1's.

Other mods:

Set of night vision hl w/ 6k bi-xenons,Yellow fogs

Sound system and dampening/deadening, you can find the thread in sound/audio section under "piecing together a system" great info and my whole stereo build.

Plasti dipped interior blk. It has held up for a while now but I need to make it more perminent.

Coupe products, oil pan guard because I have a pre runner oil pan as well as an oil cooler, battery hold down, door sills, cover that I got from 1gracer "street warrior",shift ball.

Some new carbon wrap in interior. Led map lights, trd seat covers,parrot Bluetooth,sleepy eyes, craven stub

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. But this is where I'm at now. I want boost!! Need to go faster, I've grown tired of how slow my truck feels to me, even with all my power adding mods, its slow compared to a boosted x.

I have to get a few things sorted out with the ucon before I can think about buying a Urd kit. So far my truck is allergic to it. Gadget if you see this, I know I'm lagging. Need to find some time to go and get it shipped back to you. Its out of my truck and sitting on my shelf. Truck seems normal. Not sure what's up. My x does fine with it for a few Weeks and then It starts acting up. So until this issue is resolved, no Urd kit for me :(. But I want to go fast like Ricky bobby. Trd kit? Maybe but I'd like to get a Urd one so I can compare with Kevin's and also to feel the power.

One day! Soon I hope.

So as of right now I got the mod bug again. I'd like to do something performance wise to the engine but I think I've done all I can besides cams and I ain't fvcking with that. Not sure what to do?? Ideas anyone?

I've got a list of wants.
Urd sc
Rims and new tires
Steel leafs
Coil overs
Trac bar maybe, want more power first.
Possibly bigger tb, need to see results from others first.
NASCAR style spoiler
Bbk
Paint job
Front tint
Air bags or hydraulics?? Still unsure but it would be sick.
Upgraded hoses
Bed cover
Carbon fiber tail gate and hood.
I'm sure if I think about it a while longer I can find more things to add to the list.

I'm gonna wrap this up for now but to be continued......

dramad1

Reaction score
Few pics from a few minutes ago. Please disregard the dirt.

Attachments

• image-3618516496.jpg
    image-3618516496.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 165
  • image-3943396866.jpg
    image-3943396866.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 170
  • image-4039373175.jpg
    image-4039373175.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 163
  • image-2803098804.jpg
    image-2803098804.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 167
  • image-156858819.jpg
    image-156858819.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 167
  • image-4240445404.jpg
    image-4240445404.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 168
  • image-313610787.jpg
    image-313610787.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 168
  • image-1540186105.jpg
    image-1540186105.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 160
  • image-90774800.jpg
    image-90774800.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 164
  • image-2340646291.jpg
    image-2340646291.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 158
  • image-3405162762.jpg
    image-3405162762.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3833005373.jpg
    image-3833005373.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3632896001.jpg
    image-3632896001.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 152
  • image-3802815944.jpg
    image-3802815944.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 149

dramad1

Reaction score
A couple more. The bag is braided sleeves for all my wiring under the hood. I'm gonna attemp a full engine detail maybe this weekend if time permits.

Attachments

• image-3117692864.jpg
    image-3117692864.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 147
  • image-119044720.jpg
    image-119044720.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 149

dramad1

Reaction score
How u like the jba's

They are sweet. Seemed like they went in easier than the dtlt's. I did have an exaust leak at the collector on the passengers side when we first put in my y pipe. We loosen'd everything up and wiggled it around and solve the issue. I was just under my x last week doing an oil change and didn't notice any blk soot, I put some band clamps on the y and muffler and seemed to have solved my issues. They are coated and have just about the same finish as the dtlt's. only way to tell at quick glance that they are jba's and not dtlt's is the Lil tag welded on the drivers side.
Raspy and loud. I need to put in a resonator or second muffler.

Reaction score
That's sux but atleast I met my reading quota for the year:laugh:...nice truck tho,looks a lot like murderface

dramad1

Reaction score
Lil update.

Attachments

• image-1826347252.jpg
    image-1826347252.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3923844829.jpg
    image-3923844829.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 157

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
i'm confused......where are the pics :hmmmm2:

ahhhh found them!!! haha

what pulleys are you running on your blower? UCON still not agreeing with your truck?

Last edited:
Top Bottom