Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Engine codes, need troulbeshooting help please

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I needed to get some t/s help to locate the source of some issues I'm having on my FJ. I have about 50k miles, with less than 5k on supercharged. Had x-1 installed with exhaust for over 2yrs and no problems before. I'm getting codes po101,po171 and po300. and more resently some sputtering. I'm running the urd mkIII , LT headers and y-pipe,an x-1. Supercharger hasn't been n very long. So far I check the resistance of all 4-o2 sensors according to the factory service specs the tried swapping the front sets ,then the back sets at different times to verify they are good. I also cleaned my mass sensor and also tried another one to test...still getting the same codes. Even tried a different X-1 . I tried also doing a propane test to see if I had an intake leak, but no change in the running. I am curious as to if anyone else has came accross these codes together or not. I haven't tested for exhaust leak yet ,but visually I can't see one or hear one. :frown: Any thoughts?

Last edited:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I needed to get some t/s help to locate the source of some issues I'm having on my FJ. I have about 50k miles, with less than 5k on supercharged. Had x-1 installed with exhaust for over 2yrs and no problems before. I'm getting codes po101,po131 and po300. and more resently some sputtering. I'm running the urd mkIII , LT headers and y-pipe,an x-1. Supercharger hasn't been n very long. So far I check the resistance of all 4-o2 sensors according to the factory service specs the tried swapping the front sets ,then the back sets at different times to verify they are good. I also cleaned my mass sensor and also tried another one to test...still getting the same codes. Even tried a different X-1 . I tried also doing a propane test to see if I had an intake leak, but no change in the running. I am curious as to if anyone else has came accross these codes together or not. I haven't tested for exhaust leak yet ,but visually I can't see one or hear one. :frown: Any thoughts?

You don't happen to live in sd? I've seen a fjcruiser that matches your discription a few times in ocean beach....

If you are, I'd be more then happy to take a look at it.

First things first. The front sensors, ARE NOT the same as the rear. The fronts are afr sensors as a apposed to 02....make sure you swap me back to normal and clear any resulting codes. :top:

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I'm in the IE. When I swapped them it was front with front, and then the rear with rear. Just seeing if the code followed over to the other side to bank 2.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I needed to get some t/s help to locate the source of some issues I'm having on my FJ. I have about 50k miles, with less than 5k on supercharged. Had x-1 installed with exhaust for over 2yrs and no problems before. I'm getting codes po101,po131 and po300. and more resently some sputtering. I'm running the urd mkIII , LT headers and y-pipe,an x-1. Supercharger hasn't been n very long. So far I check the resistance of all 4-o2 sensors according to the factory service specs the tried swapping the front sets ,then the back sets at different times to verify they are good. I also cleaned my mass sensor and also tried another one to test...still getting the same codes. Even tried a different X-1 . I tried also doing a propane test to see if I had an intake leak, but no change in the running. I am curious as to if anyone else has came accross these codes together or not. I haven't tested for exhaust leak yet ,but visually I can't see one or hear one. :frown: Any thoughts?

Second thing is that those codes are for Maf sensor related other then the p0300, that is a random misfire.... There is no p0131, only p0113...so I'm going to assume that's the one.

Now if your maf sensor is faulty, shorted out, or harness is damaged, that can cause all 3 of those codes. I'm not sure if the maf harness is extended like on the mrki kit, but I would go and inspect any and all maf harness plugs and extensions, if applicable. :top:

I'm in the IE. When I swapped them it was front with front, and then the rear with rear. Just seeing if the code followed over to the other side to bank 2.

Good. Only thing is, all of those codes you listed are not bank specific or even pertain to the o2/afr sensors...

Last edited:

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Sorry, I made a mistake on that. I just fixed it. the codes are po101,po171, and po300. The problem is on the bank 1 side, but it could be several things. The mass sensor doesnt need an extension on the mkIII and is close to stock location. I had NO codes before the charger install and the x-1 and componets have been in my truck for like 2 yrs. and no issues.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Double check for any vacuum leaks....also look for couplers in your s/c kit that might be loose..

Next thing I would do is reset the x-1.... Like a computer, smart phone, ect....its just needs to be rebooted from time to time...On how one does that...I have no clue...maybe an x-1 expert could chime in.:dontknow:

Also, if you could post some of the freeze fram data for when the code was set, maf g/s, fuel trim for both banks, and rpm. Your scan tool should be able to pull up the freeze frame. that would help on diagnosing it...:top:

Without a cylinder specific misfire, that narrows out faulty injector....it's either effecting both banks, or just one...that's what I want to know now.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Toon has been getting the same first two codes for a while. Not the p0300 though. He had some vacuum leaks. Fixed. Then we had to swap out MAF sensors.

Mine worked without fault in his truck. All he has is the reflash.

butters607

Reaction score
Spray the injectors with carb cleaner see if they are leaking also whats your fuel trims at idpe all four short and long and while cruising steady throttle at 60

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Toon has been getting the same first two codes for a while. Not the p0300 though. He had some vacuum leaks. Fixed. Then we had to swap out MAF sensors.

Mine worked without fault in his truck. All he has is the reflash.
I looked very hard for vacuum leaks and spent some time with the engine running going over with it with propane and a hose. I checked all over around intake runner gaskets and all vacuum locations and around intake manifold, with no change in idle. I was thinking it was an intake leak also.:hmmmm2:

These are the trims at idle:
B1ST 2.3-3.1%
B2ST 1.6%
B1LT 9.4%
B2LT 2.3%
at 65mph:
B1ST: 1.6-2.3%
B2ST: 1.5-5.5%
B1LT: .8-3.9%
B2LT: .5-3.2%

I am gonna have to look at the injectors and for leaking one. I was thinking about trying the seafoam which would clean as well as if there was an intake/exhaust leak it would be noticeable.

Last edited:

bombs

"Affliction Guy"
Reaction score
For future reference, if you have an iPhone you should download the FUZZYcodes app. You enter the code and it gives you a general description. I heard about this at XFE, just thought I would share.

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I looked very hard for vacuum leaks and spent some time with the engine running going over with it with propane and a hose. I checked all over around intake runner gaskets and all vacuum locations and around intake manifold, with no change in idle. I was thinking it was an intake leak also.:hmmmm2:

These are the trims at idle:
B1ST 2.3-3.1%
B2ST 1.6%
B1LT 9.4%
B2LT 2.3%
at 65mph:
B1ST: 1.6-2.3%
B2ST: 1.5-5.5%
B1LT: .8-3.9%
B2LT: .5-3.2%

I am gonna have to look at the injectors and for leaking one. I was thinking about trying the seafoam which would clean as well as if there was an intake/exhaust leak it would be noticeable.

I tried the seafoam today and found no obvious leaks, intake or exhaust. Also tried carb cleaner all around the intake manifold and vacuum lines. Found No leaks. When I get a chance I gonna check the injectors and fuel pressure next.

Last edited:

butters607

Reaction score
Yea I had one injector pissing air when I first did my install....spray directly on each one I also had one of the injector seats split on me that was causing my leak...your trims are damn near perfect so its unexplaineable right now....

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Yeah your fuel trim looks fine...so I have no clue what caused it to Max out like that....a vacuum leak would show up with massive positive values...

Im thinking your x1 hick-upped...

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Im running a loaner X-1 right now, but the results are the same.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Can you pull up the freeze frame data from.when the code is set, and post the values?

Its oblivious you don't have a vacuum leak, it would show up the most at idle....Unless s something is loose, and only "opens" up when your moving...but highly unlikely

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried swapping with a known good MAF sensor?

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
yes, but it was out of a tacoma. still got po171 and po300 and po101.

butters607

Reaction score
Data log it and capture the hesitarion and stuff in it by tue way you told gadget about the issues?

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
Yes, he already knows about my issues. I'm just trying everything I can do also.

Top Bottom